Notifications
Clear all

Stopped Tretinoin Cream For A Week Now Back At It

MemberMember
(@davidctino)

Posted : 03/05/2015 10:12 pm

So I stopped tretinoin for a week after using it for a year.. just to see what would happen. I also went back to my old cleanser (glytone mild gel wash, did wonders for me a few years back i was super clear.) which was a horrible idea.... the first few days i was super clear then after like 5 days i started breaking out... my skin got super dry, like it was peeling.. now under my eye looks dry and red looks like i got a mild black eye. Now i got some new pimples maybe like 8-10.. its horrible i know.Now im back to my old cleanser and tretinoin, i was just wondering if i will break out bad like when i first started using tretinoin after a week of stopping and coming back to it?

MemberMember
(@davidctino)

Posted : 03/06/2015 10:42 am

so pretty much fucked up my face this week. stupid glytone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now im back to step one with all these pih... i guess i can stay optimistic.... the only thing i could do

MemberMember
(@justincpht)

Posted : 03/06/2015 3:02 pm

I only use my Tretinoin 3 nights a week so I don't think stopping for a week will cause any bad side-effects

MemberMember
(@davidctino)

Posted : 03/06/2015 3:04 pm

@justincpht is it bad to use it every night ?

MemberMember
(@justincpht)

Posted : 03/06/2015 3:07 pm

If your skin can tolerate it, no. But I use a lot of "active" skin products so I find my skin responds best to 3 nights a week. I am basically 100% clear now though so this is for maintenance purposes

MemberMember
(@davidctino)

Posted : 03/06/2015 8:36 pm

@justincpht can I know what other products you use?

MemberMember
(@justincpht)

Posted : 03/07/2015 10:18 am

I look for gentle face washes (I stay far away from physical exfoliants, the scrubs with a harsh texture).

The complete list of products I use is in my signature but I'll take a moment to explain why I picked the products I use, besides the face washes because any gentle face wash will due.

Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Toner, I picked this toner because it feels nice when I apply it and it has a fairly large amount of niacinamide, which has been shown to improve acne and help with post breakout red marks.

Salicylic acid (BHA) Is a staple anti-acne product. It works by going into the pores and cleaning them out, preventing them from getting clogged and causing acne. It also as the added benefit of reducing redness. I think it is insane the acne.org regimen doesn't include BHA.

Benzoyl Peroxide is great for drying out mild to moderate breakouts. I only use this when I have active blemishes.

Antioxidants are just in general very good for your skin. I use a serum with retinol in the morning, retinol is the precursor to tretinoin (it breaks down into tretinoin in your skin) so it is good for acne, plus I get the added benefit of preventing signs of aging (I'm a rather vain person, haha) I use the other serum at night because it has a more liquid texture (moisturizing) and also contain glycerin and hyaluronic acid which are great moisturizing ingredients and helps off set the irritation caused by tretionoin.

I use tretinoin has a method to prevent breakouts, I am working on a tube of 0.025% and plan on building up to using it 5 nights a week then gradually increasing into a 0.05% strength.

I use SPF in the morning and I look for a light(ish) moisturizer loaded with antioxidants & niacinamide for night time.

The AHA and the weekly treatments have mild to moderate benefits for acne, I use those for anti-aging purposes (preventative since I'm still young) because I am extremely vain (I freely admit it, ha)

MemberMember
(@davidctino)

Posted : 03/07/2015 1:03 pm

I look for gentle face washes (I stay far away from physical exfoliants, the scrubs with a harsh texture).

The complete list of products I use is in my signature but I'll take a moment to explain why I picked the products I use, besides the face washes because any gentle face wash will due.

Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Toner, I picked this toner because it feels nice when I apply it and it has a fairly large amount of niacinamide, which has been shown to improve acne and help with post breakout red marks.

Salicylic acid (BHA) Is a staple anti-acne product. It works by going into the pores and cleaning them out, preventing them from getting clogged and causing acne. It also as the added benefit of reducing redness. I think it is insane the acne.org regimen doesn't include BHA.

Benzoyl Peroxide is great for drying out mild to moderate breakouts. I only use this when I have active blemishes.

Antioxidants are just in general very good for your skin. I use a serum with retinol in the morning, retinol is the precursor to tretinoin (it breaks down into tretinoin in your skin) so it is good for acne, plus I get the added benefit of preventing signs of aging (I'm a rather vain person, haha) I use the other serum at night because it has a more liquid texture (moisturizing) and also contain glycerin and hyaluronic acid which are great moisturizing ingredients and helps off set the irritation caused by tretionoin.

I use tretinoin has a method to prevent breakouts, I am working on a tube of 0.025% and plan on building up to using it 5 nights a week then gradually increasing into a 0.05% strength.

I use SPF in the morning and I look for a light(ish) moisturizer loaded with antioxidants & niacinamide for night time.

The AHA and the weekly treatments have mild to moderate benefits for acne, I use those for anti-aging purposes (preventative since I'm still young) because I am extremely vain (I freely admit it, ha)

Hey justin thanks for the reply! I'm interested in using the toner but I have used one in the past and it pretty much burned my skin and made it peel for like a week. I don't know if it was the salicylic acid or some other ingredient in it. Here's the list of what it consist of.

Ingredients : 2% Salicylic Acid. Acetone, Benzalkonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Isopropyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Red 40 (CI 16035), Water (Aqua), Yellow 5 (CI 19140).

MemberMember
(@justincpht)

Posted : 03/07/2015 6:00 pm

Hey justin thanks for the reply! I'm interested in using the toner but I have used one in the past and it pretty much burned my skin and made it peel for like a week. I don't know if it was the salicylic acid or some other ingredient in it. Here's the list of what it consist of.

Ingredients : 2% Salicylic Acid. Acetone, Benzalkonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Isopropyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Red 40 (CI 16035), Water (Aqua), Yellow 5 (CI 19140).

It is definitely the acetone, alcohol, and fragrance in that formula that caused your irritation. Acetone is used in nail polish remover, just think about what it does to your skin. You want to look for alcohol free, fragrance free, and irritant free toners. There aren't many on the market.

MemberMember
(@davidctino)

Posted : 03/07/2015 7:42 pm

okay before i mess up again, how often should i use the toner, and the bha liquid ?

MemberMember
(@justincpht)

Posted : 03/07/2015 7:54 pm

okay before i mess up again, how often should i use the toner, and the bha liquid ?

The toner you should use twice daily after cleansing. BHA I would start with once daily after cleansing and toning and see how your skin reacts, you can increase to twice daily (morning and night) as tolerated.

Do not wash your face more than twice a day, doing this can lead to irritation/acne.

MemberMember
(@davidctino)

Posted : 03/07/2015 8:19 pm

The toner you should use twice daily after cleansing. BHA I would start with once daily after cleansing and toning and see how your skin reacts, you can increase to twice daily (morning and night) as tolerated.

Do not wash your face more than twice a day, doing this can lead to irritation/acne.

Cool bro thanks. I bought the skin recovery toner and the bha liquid from Paula's choice.. Will I need a moisturizer ? Because my face wash is already moisturizing and I learned if I moisturize after I break out

MemberMember
(@justincpht)

Posted : 03/08/2015 12:09 am

Cool bro thanks. I bought the skin recovery toner and the bha liquid from Paula's choice.. Will I need a moisturizer ? Because my face wash is already moisturizing and I learned if I moisturize after I break out

If you're not having trouble with dryness or irritation then I don't see why a moisturizer would be needed. I would recommend you use an SPF every morning though. I use the CeraVe AM Facial Lotion with SPF 30, it is pretty inexpensive and can be found at any CVS/etc. Tretinoin makes your skin more sensitive to sunlight and sunburns can make acne worse.

MemberMember
(@davidctino)

Posted : 03/08/2015 2:54 am

If you're not having trouble with dryness or irritation then I don't see why a moisturizer would be needed. I would recommend you use an SPF every morning though. I use the CeraVe AM Facial Lotion with SPF 30, it is pretty inexpensive and can be found at any CVS/etc. Tretinoin makes your skin more sensitive to sunlight and sunburns can make acne worse.

I'm a vampire I hardly go outside during the day. But yeah thanks for the advice bro. I'll let you know if the products work

MemberMember
(@davidctino)

Posted : 03/08/2015 2:10 pm

justin on your signature it doesnt say you use Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Tone

MemberMember
(@justincpht)

Posted : 03/08/2015 4:02 pm

My apologies! I use the skin balancing toner not the skin recovery

MemberMember
(@davidctino)

Posted : 03/12/2015 10:04 pm

Hey justin, how much do I exactly put on cotton pad? It felt like I didn't put anything on