Notifications
Clear all

Any Luck With Chemical Peels?

MemberMember
(@lus4279)

Posted : 03/03/2015 7:19 pm

Any one had any improvements with trying a chemical peel? Was going to get one ordered and try it out in the next few days so would be awesome to hear how people got on with them?

Wanted a high percentage one as its for the skin on my back which is a lot tougher than the face. Hoping to try get rid of some of the blackheads that are difficult to remove and hopefully try and fade some PIH a bit.

Im not expecting huge changes especially with the PIH but any improvements would be good.

So any advice? hints? tips?

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 03/03/2015 7:49 pm

Moved to scar/red mark treatment forum

lus4279 liked
MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 03/03/2015 10:37 pm

I use the 40% lactic acid peel, which is the one people recommend to start off with because it's not too strong. For me, I've definitely noticed a big improvement with my PIH. At first it didn't seem like anything happened, but when I took pictures and actually compared side by side I didn't realise what a difference it made!

I don't know how tough your skin is but I'd still say start off slow. If you go up too fast you might do some real damage. I also did get an initial break out, but not everyone does. I tend to break out a little when I switch products anyway. The first few times dried out my skin so make sure you keep moisturising :)

lus4279 liked
MemberMember
(@kay24)

Posted : 03/03/2015 11:26 pm

I love TCA peels. I've had drastic improvements on my face. My PIH significantly improves and is the primary reason I used it, but smoother skin texture is another benefit. I use AHA lotion to prep the skin a couple weeks before the peel too. I jumped right into TCA and skipped the starter, lighter peels out of desperation. 15% on my face is perfect. I just did a 15% peel and applied some to the back of my legs for stretch marks and it wasn't very penetrating there. For a back peel I'd probably start with 15% with the intent of moving up to 25% and see how it goes. I know peels over 20% on the face are much more risky for at home peels, I'm really not too informed on body peels though. I know people on this board have done 25-30% peels on their face, some higher, but I'd be wary of over 30% on the back for DIY, and I'd personally max out at 20% for my face skin. You must work your way up to prevent causing more damage, even if the beginning results aren't that satisfying. Glycolic acid and lactic acid peels are good for that purpose, or 8-15% Tca peels if you're impatient like me. I'd spread TCA peels out 6-8 weeks for the first few, and 12 weeks for any addition treatments. Your skin continuously improves those weeks while it fully heals, reforms, and strengthens, and the results are better than doing them closer together. I get my peels from skinobsession.

MemberMember
(@mxpx)

Posted : 03/04/2015 1:29 pm

Any one had any improvements with trying a chemical peel? Was going to get one ordered and try it out in the next few days so would be awesome to hear how people got on with them?

Wanted a high percentage one as its for the skin on my back which is a lot tougher than the face. Hoping to try get rid of some of the blackheads that are difficult to remove and hopefully try and fade some PIH a bit.

Im not expecting huge changes especially with the PIH but any improvements would be good.

Chemical peels will only help a bit with very high concentrations and you must go in the dermis layser with a peel. You can't do this at home by yourself. I had a deep phenol peel with 88% and 4 weeks after i had a tca with 50 % and i have still all my scars. My skin is much better and thicker but my rolling scars on the right cheek are still visible. I would rather go with needling and dermal fillers and a chemical peel on top of that to improve the texture. Scars are very hard to treat and it depends on the skin type and age of the patient. I will consider dermal fillers for my other scars because its non invasive and it will make your skin look full and youthfull. On top of that i will do needling sessions. I will never ever do a phenol peel again! I still peel from the last tca peel and because of my phenol peel my skin is raw pinkish and i have to wear sunscreen even if no sun is shining.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 03/04/2015 5:23 pm

Since your new to peels I suggest you start of slow with a mild peel such as a 15% Salicylic acid.

MemberMember
(@lus4279)

Posted : 03/04/2015 9:23 pm

I use the 40% lactic acid peel, which is the one people recommend to start off with because it's not too strong. For me, I've definitely noticed a big improvement with my PIH. At first it didn't seem like anything happened, but when I took pictures and actually compared side by side I didn't realise what a difference it made!

I don't know how tough your skin is but I'd still say start off slow. If you go up too fast you might do some real damage. I also did get an initial break out, but not everyone does. I tend to break out a little when I switch products anyway. The first few times dried out my skin so make sure you keep moisturising

This sounds very promising so can't wait to give it a go. Thank you. Im so impatient and just want it sorting but I will take your advice and jump in with a low percentage one. Any recommendations on brands of peels? and I have an oil free moisturiser on hand :)

I love TCA peels. I've had drastic improvements on my face. My PIH significantly improves and is the primary reason I used it, but smoother skin texture is another benefit. I use AHA lotion to prep the skin a couple weeks before the peel too. I jumped right into TCA and skipped the starter, lighter peels out of desperation. 15% on my face is perfect. I just did a 15% peel and applied some to the back of my legs for stretch marks and it wasn't very penetrating there. For a back peel I'd probably start with 15% with the intent of moving up to 25% and see how it goes. I know peels over 20% on the face are much more risky for at home peels, I'm really not too informed on body peels though. I know people on this board have done 25-30% peels on their face, some higher, but I'd be wary of over 30% on the back for DIY, and I'd personally max out at 20% for my face skin. You must work your way up to prevent causing more damage, even if the beginning results aren't that satisfying. Glycolic acid and lactic acid peels are good for that purpose, or 8-15% Tca peels if you're impatient like me. I'd spread TCA peels out 6-8 weeks for the first few, and 12 weeks for any addition treatments. Your skin continuously improves those weeks while it fully heals, reforms, and strengthens, and the results are better than doing them closer together. I get my peels from skinobsession.

Never heard of the TCA peel so how is it different from the glycolic salicylic peels? stronger?. Glad its helped your PIH I know how frustrating it is. Thanks so much for the help.

Chemical peels will only help a bit with very high concentrations and you must go in the dermis layser with a peel. You can't do this at home by yourself. I had a deep phenol peel with 88% and 4 weeks after i had a tca with 50 % and i have still all my scars. My skin is much better and thicker but my rolling scars on the right cheek are still visible. I would rather go with needling and dermal fillers and a chemical peel on top of that to improve the texture. Scars are very hard to treat and it depends on the skin type and age of the patient. I will consider dermal fillers for my other scars because its non invasive and it will make your skin look full and youthfull. On top of that i will do needling sessions. I will never ever do a phenol peel again! I still peel from the last tca peel and because of my phenol peel my skin is raw pinkish and i have to wear sunscreen even if no sun is shining.

What sort of scars do you have? I don't suffer from acne scars just PIH which I heard is a lot easier to get rid of. I have looked in to stuff like derma rolling but it puts me off the fact that it pierces you skin worried it would cause more problems.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 03/04/2015 9:33 pm

Microneedling does indeed work for Pih associated with acne. It's not as bad as it sounds either. There's tons of videos and guides that demonstrate on how to use it.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 03/04/2015 11:56 pm

I don't know how tough your skin is but I'd still say start off slow. If you go up too fast you might do some real damage. I also did get an initial break out, but not everyone does. I tend to break out a little when I switch products anyway. The first few times dried out my skin so make sure you keep moisturising

This sounds very promising so can't wait to give it a go. Thank you. Im so impatient and just want it sorting but I will take your advice and jump in with a low percentage one. Any recommendations on brands of peels? and I have an oil free moisturiser on hand

Haha I know what you mean, but if your skin seems really tolerant you can always up the % afterwards. At least then you won't risk damaging your skin. I order from Makeup Artists Choice. It's a little pricey for the tiny bottles, but you don't really use that much of the stuff anyway.

MemberMember
(@lus4279)

Posted : 03/05/2015 7:13 am

Haha I know what you mean, but if your skin seems really tolerant you can always up the % afterwards. At least then you won't risk damaging your skin. I order from Makeup Artists Choice. It's a little pricey for the tiny bottles, but you don't really use that much of the stuff anyway.

Okay awesome I will give it a look :) Thank you

MemberMember
(@kay24)

Posted : 03/05/2015 8:23 am

Yea, TCA is a stronger peel. It's something you can consider in the future after you've grown accustomed to peels.

MemberMember
(@mxpx)

Posted : 03/05/2015 3:06 pm

This sounds very promising so can't wait to give it a go. Thank you. Im so impatient and just want it sorting but I will take your advice and jump in with a low percentage one. Any recommendations on brands of peels? and I have an oil free moisturiser on hand

>I love TCA peels. I've had drastic improvements on my face. My PIH significantly improves and is the primary reason I used it, but smoother skin texture is another benefit. I use AHA lotion to prep the skin a couple weeks before the peel too. I jumped right into TCA and skipped the starter, lighter peels out of desperation. 15% on my face is perfect. I just did a 15% peel and applied some to the back of my legs for stretch marks and it wasn't very penetrating there. For a back peel I'd probably start with 15% with the intent of moving up to 25% and see how it goes. I know peels over 20% on the face are much more risky for at home peels, I'm really not too informed on body peels though. I know people on this board have done 25-30% peels on their face, some higher, but I'd be wary of over 30% on the back for DIY, and I'd personally max out at 20% for my face skin. You must work your way up to prevent causing more damage, even if the beginning results aren't that satisfying. Glycolic acid and lactic acid peels are good for that purpose, or 8-15% Tca peels if you're impatient like me. I'd spread TCA peels out 6-8 weeks for the first few, and 12 weeks for any addition treatments. Your skin continuously improves those weeks while it fully heals, reforms, and strengthens, and the results are better than doing them closer together. I get my peels from skinobsession.

Never heard of the TCA peel so how is it different from the glycolic salicylic peels? stronger?. Glad its helped your PIH I know how frustrating it is. Thanks so much for the help.

What sort of scars do you have? I don't suffer from acne scars just PIH which I heard is a lot easier to get rid of. I have looked in to stuff like derma rolling but it puts me off the fact that it pierces you skin worried it would cause more problems.

Well if only PIH is your problem, than retin-a and lower tca peels will do the trick. Lucky dude ^^ I have rolling scars all over man...

MemberMember
(@wandaj)

Posted : 04/16/2023 9:41 pm

In my experience, the best way to get rid of acne scars is by using products that contain ingredients like vitamin C, retinol, and hyaluronic acid. DermalM D Scar Serum is one such product that has been effective for many people in reducing the appearance of acne scars.