Two Successful Year...

Notifications
Clear all

Two Successful Years On The Regimen

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 02/22/2015 6:31 am

Hey guys!

Today marks my two years and a month into The Regimen. I am happy to say that majority of my acne is still under control and I haven't had my skin feel and look as good as it does in a long time.

Below are pictures of my current skin situation. No make-up, just freshly cleansed skin. I am healing two acne marks on the left side of my face for now but they are already dried out and flat and I am just dealing with the dark marks with the use of AHA.

I thought maybe I'd make this post because I have gotten quite a few personal messages asking about my experience with The Regimen, how I do The Regimen, side effects, other products I use, and many other things. So I am sharing my responses and tips to the rest of the members on the forums.

Here goes...

1. The Regimen isn't an easy regimen. This whole routine is not a one-time-fix-all kind of thing. It takes patience, effort, consistency and even willingness to go through some discomfort to get your skin where you want to be. So if you are considering it, do your research and be aware of the possible side effects and inconveniences that comes with it. A lot of people ask me questions that are explained on the site, I think they just need to be reminded to read instructions first. Questions are always welcome if more specific information is needed.

2. The Regimen is not an overnight success. It took me 10 weeks to get acne free and months to get rid of my red marks. For other people it was faster and for others it took longer (up t six months). Do not compare your experience with other Regimen users because that will just get you disappointed.

3. Breakouts will come and go. The Regimen controls acne and does not completely eradicate it. There are times, especially when you start The Regimen, that breakouts will come. This does not mean your skin will not work with The Regimen it is just adjusting to the medication you are using. So don't get all freaked out. I experienced the worst breakout on my 4th and 5th week into the process and it almost made me quit, thankfully I did not...it was the best decision I ever made.

4. I currently use a mix of Acne.org and store bought products in my Regimen routine. To be clear I initially did not use Acne.org products. For the first six months I used items that I bought in my pharmacy. It was on my sixth month that I purchased the Acne.org Benzoyl Peroxide and really enjoyed it so much that I explored the other products from the line. So yes, you can get clear with the correct store bought products.

5. The Regimen does not take care of scarring. People often ask me how I handled acne marks and scarring and to be honest I can't say much. I have very minimal scars. They aren't very noticeable and can be easily noticed only if you are extremely close to my face. The Regimen does not help with any physical scarring but when we are talking about red and dark spots left by acne, I trust the AHA. The Acne.org AHA+ is my bet when I get those annoying spots. With time, it speeds up the lightening process of those marks and makes them go away a lot faster.

6. I use products outside of The Regimen. Aside from the cleanse, treat and moisturize routine, I have also incorporated a scrub, a mask and an eye cream to my routine. I use a scrub twice a week to just get rid of the build up of BP when application of things to my skin aren't as smooth. I use a facial mask once or twice a month when my skin feels very dry. And the eye cream I use twice a day which I apply on my under eyes before I apply the BP to my face. I advise you add only one product at a time when your skin is already clear. This way you can see what products work and which ones break you out.

7. I used make-up when I started The Regimen. While I started the The Regimen I used only a tinted sunscreen and some powder. This is because my skin was irritated and still adjusting to the BP. Eventually when my skin got used to the BP I was able to wear more make-up such as primers, foundations, concealers, etc.

8. There are initial painful and annoying side effects. When starting The Regimen your skin will go through a phase where it gets used to the BP treatment. This will make skin red, irritated, itchy, it will flake and it will be uncomfortable. But rest assured that this will pass after a few weeks. Gauge your skin if you think that the moisturizer you are using is not helping enough. You can switch moisturizers, add jojoba oil, or keep a fan handy to keep your face from heating up. I used to carry a small bottle of moisturizer and add to my face throughout the day if ever it gets too uncomfortable.

9. PCOS has is the cause of my acne. My hormones are very imbalanced and this is a big part of why I have acne. I have tried many many different things to get rid of my acne. Diet, antibiotics, birth control, vitamins and exercise have done very little to help clear my face. It was only once I started The Regimen that I had cleared my acne and stayed clear. Some people might have an issue on why I don't treat my skin problem from inside out, but this is the way I chose to deal with it and it currently suits my lifestyle at the moment.

10. I still take vitamins, medication and birth control. I take a few things to help with PCOS symptoms with the birth control and metformin. With my vitamins D and zinc that is to help calm down any acne cysts that get too inflamed. I would say the birth control has helped a little with the acne, but not as much as The Regimen has.

11. I still get acne spots once in a while. Although The Regimen does control most of my acne, there are times when I get a spot or two. This usually happens a few days before my period because my hormones are all over the place. This practically doesn't bother me anymore because two spots is so much less than the acne that I started with.

12. Big tip! Spot treat with AHA. When I feel like A zit is coming to the surface, I spot treat with AHA. I take a little dab of AHA on the spot, let it dry then apply my BP. This helps a lot to calm my spot and prevent it from getting very red and irritated.

Also sharing with you the list of products that I have used that have not broken me out.

Skin care products:
- St. Ives Apricot Scrub for Blemish Control
- Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel
- Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion/Cream
- CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion
- Clinique City Block Sheer SPF 25
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
- Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser
- Clinique All About Eyes Rich Eye Cream

Make-up products:
- MAC Select Sheer Pressed Powder
- Smashbox Photo Set Pressed Powder
- The Balm Sexy Mama Translucent Powder
- MAC Studio Finish Concealer
- NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer
- Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer
- Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser
- Revlon Colorstay Foundation for Oily/Combination Skin
- Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer
- Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluide Foundation
- Revlon Photoready Perfecting Primer

I hope this post kinda helps you guys a little. I wish you all luck on getting clear however that may be. You can read and see how bad my acne was before through a link in my signature.

Lastly, I wanted to point out that these thoughts are all my own and even though I am a Site Watcher for Acne.org that has never clouded any judgement I have had on any of the Acne.org products. There are steps in The Regimen where I prefer to use Acne.org items and some where I enjoy store bought products much better.

post-202914-0-42084400-1424602863.jpg

post-202914-0-32673400-1424602882.jpg

post-202914-0-07743100-1424602902.jpg

Eric98, Alice Lin, mh2020 and 7 people liked
MemberMember
(@william8026)

Posted : 02/22/2015 9:56 am

That's amazing, how long did it take for your hyperpigmentation and redness to go away?

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 02/22/2015 10:41 am

That's amazing, how long did it take for your hyperpigmentation and redness to go away?

The red marks were completely gone in around 4-5 months. There were a lot so it took some time.

MemberMember
(@william8026)

Posted : 02/22/2015 4:57 pm

Oh that's not too bad I guess :)

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 02/22/2015 8:41 pm

Yours is a great Regimen success story, Nic! Your skin looks fantastic!!

Great tips, too for new users!! You are a perfect example of the importance of finding what works for YOU. And the importance of learning to read your skin. Your skin often tells you what it needs if you learn to read the info it gives you. You've definitely become your own skin expert!

I always forget the old AHA+ spot treatment trick...every so often I'll get a cyst on my neck or jawline...gotta remember the AHA!

Wishing you many more years of success and clear skin!!! :)

xo -D

nicmic62 liked
MemberMember
(@smallpox)

Posted : 08/21/2016 4:39 am

Wow your skin looks amazing.. my acne is not even close to as severe as when your first started, but your skin now looks 10000 times better than mine does right now, this gives me hope.

nicmic62 liked
MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 08/22/2016 10:05 am

On 8/21/2016 at 2:39 AM, smallpox said:

Wow your skin looks amazing.. my acne is not even close to as severe as when your first started, but your skin now looks 10000 times better than mine does right now, this gives me hope.

Thank you! Going on almost 4 years now and I still am keeping clear.

I hope you experience the same success. Keep fighting that acne!

MemberMember
(@t-dawg)

Posted : 09/15/2016 8:41 pm

On 2/22/2015 at 6:31 AM, nicmic62 said:

Hey guys!

Today marks my two years and a month into The Regimen. I am happy to say that majority of my acne is still under control and I haven't had my skin feel and look as good as it does in a long time.

Below are pictures of my current skin situation. No make-up, just freshly cleansed skin. I am healing two acne marks on the left side of my face for now but they are already dried out and flat and I am just dealing with the dark marks with the use of AHA.

I thought maybe I'd make this post because I have gotten quite a few personal messages asking about my experience with The Regimen, how I do The Regimen, side effects, other products I use, and many other things. So I am sharing my responses and tips to the rest of the members on the forums.

Here goes...

1. The Regimen isn't an easy regimen. This whole routine is not a one-time-fix-all kind of thing. It takes patience, effort, consistency and even willingness to go through some discomfort to get your skin where you want to be. So if you are considering it, do your research and be aware of the possible side effects and inconveniences that comes with it. A lot of people ask me questions that are explained on the site, I think they just need to be reminded to read instructions first. Questions are always welcome if more specific information is needed.

2. The Regimen is not an overnight success. It took me 10 weeks to get acne free and months to get rid of my red marks. For other people it was faster and for others it took longer (up t six months). Do not compare your experience with other Regimen users because that will just get you disappointed.

3. Breakouts will come and go. The Regimen controls acne and does not completely eradicate it. There are times, especially when you start The Regimen, that breakouts will come. This does not mean your skin will not work with The Regimen it is just adjusting to the medication you are using. So don't get all freaked out. I experienced the worst breakout on my 4th and 5th week into the process and it almost made me quit, thankfully I did not...it was the best decision I ever made.

4. I currently use a mix of Acne.org and store bought products in my Regimen routine. To be clear I initially did not use Acne.org products. For the first six months I used items that I bought in my pharmacy. It was on my sixth month that I purchased the Acne.org Benzoyl Peroxide and really enjoyed it so much that I explored the other products from the line. So yes, you can get clear with the correct store bought products.

5. The Regimen does not take care of scarring. People often ask me how I handled acne marks and scarring and to be honest I can't say much. I have very minimal scars. They aren't very noticeable and can be easily noticed only if you are extremely close to my face. The Regimen does not help with any physical scarring but when we are talking about red and dark spots left by acne, I trust the AHA. The Acne.org AHA+ is my bet when I get those annoying spots. With time, it speeds up the lightening process of those marks and makes them go away a lot faster.

6. I use products outside of The Regimen. Aside from the cleanse, treat and moisturize routine, I have also incorporated a scrub, a mask and an eye cream to my routine. I use a scrub twice a week to just get rid of the build up of BP when application of things to my skin aren't as smooth. I use a facial mask once or twice a month when my skin feels very dry. And the eye cream I use twice a day which I apply on my under eyes before I apply the BP to my face. I advise you add only one product at a time when your skin is already clear. This way you can see what products work and which ones break you out.

7. I used make-up when I started The Regimen. While I started the The Regimen I used only a tinted sunscreen and some powder. This is because my skin was irritated and still adjusting to the BP. Eventually when my skin got used to the BP I was able to wear more make-up such as primers, foundations, concealers, etc.

8. There are initial painful and annoying side effects. When starting The Regimen your skin will go through a phase where it gets used to the BP treatment. This will make skin red, irritated, itchy, it will flake and it will be uncomfortable. But rest assured that this will pass after a few weeks. Gauge your skin if you think that the moisturizer you are using is not helping enough. You can switch moisturizers, add jojoba oil, or keep a fan handy to keep your face from heating up. I used to carry a small bottle of moisturizer and add to my face throughout the day if ever it gets too uncomfortable.

9. PCOS has is the cause of my acne. My hormones are very imbalanced and this is a big part of why I have acne. I have tried many many different things to get rid of my acne. Diet, antibiotics, birth control, vitamins and exercise have done very little to help clear my face. It was only once I started The Regimen that I had cleared my acne and stayed clear. Some people might have an issue on why I don't treat my skin problem from inside out, but this is the way I chose to deal with it and it currently suits my lifestyle at the moment.

10. I still take vitamins, medication and birth control. I take a few things to help with PCOS symptoms with the birth control and metformin. With my vitamins D and zinc that is to help calm down any acne cysts that get too inflamed. I would say the birth control has helped a little with the acne, but not as much as The Regimen has.

11. I still get acne spots once in a while. Although The Regimen does control most of my acne, there are times when I get a spot or two. This usually happens a few days before my period because my hormones are all over the place. This practically doesn't bother me anymore because two spots is so much less than the acne that I started with.

12. Big tip! Spot treat with AHA. When I feel like A zit is coming to the surface, I spot treat with AHA. I take a little dab of AHA on the spot, let it dry then apply my BP. This helps a lot to calm my spot and prevent it from getting very red and irritated.

Also sharing with you the list of products that I have used that have not broken me out.

Skin care products:
- St. Ives Apricot Scrub for Blemish Control
- Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel
- Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion/Cream
- CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion
- Clinique City Block Sheer SPF 25
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
- Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser
- Clinique All About Eyes Rich Eye Cream

Make-up products:
- MAC Select Sheer Pressed Powder
- Smashbox Photo Set Pressed Powder
- The Balm Sexy Mama Translucent Powder
- MAC Studio Finish Concealer
- NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer
- Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer
- Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser
- Revlon Colorstay Foundation for Oily/Combination Skin
- Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer
- Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluide Foundation
- Revlon Photoready Perfecting Primer

I hope this post kinda helps you guys a little. I wish you all luck on getting clear however that may be. You can read and see how bad my acne was before through a link in my signature.

Lastly, I wanted to point out that these thoughts are all my own and even though I am a Site Watcher for Acne.org that has never clouded any judgement I have had on any of the Acne.org products. There are steps in The Regimen where I prefer to use Acne.org items and some where I enjoy store bought products much better.

image1_2yrs.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

Hey good job on your results!! im just wondering if you like dans moisturizer or cera-ve lotion better? And did you switch to cerva-ve or start with out it in the gekco? 

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 09/16/2016 1:49 pm

I have tried both moisturizers. The Acne.org moisturizer is good but it stains my pillowcases like crazy and it takes a while to absorb into my skin.

I used a clinique moisturizer when I started but it was crazy expensive. Thats when I found cerave and have used it for a while now and I still love it. It lasts me for a few months so easy on the wallet too.

t-dawg liked
MemberMember
(@bellada210)

Posted : 12/26/2017 8:56 am

What kind of moisturizer do you use in the morning with spf that is non-comedogenic? How is the cerave moisturizing lotion with spf?