Notifications
Clear all

Puffy Eyes On Accutane

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 02/19/2015 3:27 am

Hey guys

I've been on tane for 6 months now (2 more to go!), taking 40mg per day.

Ok so I've had the usual dryness and aches and pains but for the past month or so I've noticed something that's really annoying but not sure if it's related to accutane usage?

Basically there's like fluid buildup around my eye (both eyes) which make my eyelids really puffy.

It's unattractive and I'm worried this could be permanent. Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you :-)

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 02/19/2015 4:50 pm

Hi

Heading into mnth 4 of tane (50-60mg a day)

I had puffy eyes but I also had gunk/discharge and major dryness

Went to eye dr and she said signs of infection are swollen upper eyelid (do u have any redness/discharge etc)

IF not u can try warm compress in the am for 10 minutes

Im using OTC drops every 2 hrs to keep my eyes hydrated as well as an rx ointment at night before bed

made a big difference for me!

Good luck

kim

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 02/20/2015 10:57 am

Thanks Kim, I have no signs of infection, no redness or gunk, just a bit dry.

I will give the hot compresses a try x

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 02/20/2015 8:26 pm

Def try the OTC rewetting drops and the compress

Dr said only am but I fond the more the better...def try am and pm

GL

Kim

MemberMember
(@autoimmune)

Posted : 02/26/2015 11:46 pm

I have been on tane for four months and get puffy eyes filled with fluid that drains during the day and accumulates overnight. The pharmacist said that it is reported in less than 1% of tane users. I have tried warm compresses, tea bags and even ice compresses. My GP even prescribed antibiotics and it still kept happening. Not sure what else to try. The ice compresses worked the best for me.

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 03/21/2015 4:04 am

Sorry to hear that. I've been off tane now for a month. The eye fluid buildup is still there and my cystic acne is back. Devastated. I now look worse than before the course with the eye thing!

MemberMember
(@autoimmune)

Posted : 03/25/2015 8:37 pm

From what I have read, it can take a couple of months to rid yourself of the accutane side effects. Hopefully yours will go away soon.

Will you have to go back on accutane again?

The puffy eyes have gone down a bit, I have been using an eye drop with an antihistamine and that has really helped. Maybe give it a try.

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 03/27/2015 5:09 am

I don't want to go on a second course so I'm just doing diet changes, reduced my carb and sugar intake and my skin already looks better. My eye problem is still there but it could be unrelated to the accutane use but I doubt it somehow, I'll keep you posted

MemberMember
(@dlr)

Posted : 12/08/2017 12:17 pm

Im 38 and just got puffy eyes after month 3. The Dr took me off because of heart racing when I work out and the heart problem is gone but my eyes!!! I feel like Im 20 years older. So devastating, I really wish they would tell you to only use this when yourein your teens. It is so depressing, at least acne would have gone away. Ive been off for two weeks and there is no sign of the puffiness going away. Im so sad.

MemberMember
(@autoimmune)

Posted : 02/11/2018 12:20 am

Been off accutane for 2 years now,I have been on Rosiver (Ivermectin) cream and so far so good, just the odd flare up.  But unfortunately the puffy eyes remain.   Hope I never have to go back on tane :) 

MemberMember
(@markhallway)

Posted : 05/22/2020 11:32 pm

On 3/27/2015 at 2:09 PM, frenchie86 said:

I don't want to go on a second course so I'm just doing diet changes, reduced my carb and sugar intake and my skin already looks better. My eye problem is still there but it could be unrelated to the accutane use but I doubt it somehow, I'll keep you posted

It has been a while since you posted this. Just curious, did the puffiness subside? Or is it actually the same of how it was after going off it?:)

MemberMember
(@autoimmune)

Posted : 05/23/2020 9:36 am

It has been 5 years since I have been off of accutane and I have been continuing with the topical cream of Rosiver and so far so good. A little bit of redness but otherwise my skin has been clear. The puffy eyes has were slow to reversebut they did. I have used the Lightstim red light therapy, Glopro from beauty bioscience micro-needling and nuface mini devices. None of them have flared up the rosacea. One thing that really helped with overall inflammation was incorporating bone broth in your diet. Sunscreen is key to this condition I love the Anthelos product. Be patient with your skin, it is very forgiving.