Notifications
Clear all

Will Acne Cream Be More Effective If I Stop Wearing Makeup?

MemberMember
(@t1901)

Posted : 02/18/2015 6:32 am

I've been on Epiduo for about seven weeks now and while my chin looks slightly better, I'm still not even close to clear. Admittedly, I do touch my face and pick a little, plus I wear concealer and makeup powder like five to six times a week. I know there's not exactly a direct link to makeup and acne but will quitting the makeup make it easier for the epiduo to do it's thing? If you've been on a certain treatment, have you found that stopping cosmetic use has accelerated the process?

MemberMember
(@naturald)

Posted : 02/18/2015 7:55 am

Have you tried using a mineral foundation. This could be a better option. Better for acne prone skin & you still get the confidence boost from covering up blemishes.

Mineral foundations normal only contain Mica, titanium oxide, zinc oxide & then some color.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/18/2015 12:01 pm

Mineral foundations can also cause you to break out. A lot of people are really sensitive to mica and titanium oxide.

do you use epiduo in the morning? Maybe try using it at night when it will be most effective since you're not covering it up with makeup?

MemberMember
(@t1901)

Posted : 02/18/2015 2:45 pm

Have you tried using a mineral foundation. This could be a better option. Better for acne prone skin & you still get the confidence boost from covering up blemishes.

Mineral foundations normal only contain Mica, titanium oxide, zinc oxide & then some color.

Well I use pressed powder, not foundation, yeah I have heard that mineral foundation is better but I've also heard it can still break people out, then again I don't think the powder I'm currently using is too good for my skin so maybe I should give mineral foundation a try. Thanks!

Mineral foundations can also cause you to break out. A lot of people are really sensitive to mica and titanium oxide.

do you use epiduo in the morning? Maybe try using it at night when it will be most effective since you're not covering it up with makeup?

Yeah that's what I'm worried about, but I don't think the pressed powder I currently use is doing me any favours either, I use epiduo at night, it's just working really slowly, if at all, so I'm starting to get a little nervous but hopefully it works its magic by the three month mark :)

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 02/18/2015 3:34 pm

I went makeup free for 2 months when my acne was at it's worst. It really did nothing at all for my skin, and it was incredibly difficult to deal with having bare, inflammed marks on your skin. I know it is isn't an entirely popular opinion, but when I started wearing makeup again I just felt so much better about myself and more confident in my day to day. If you feel comfortable, go for it. But if not, it's probably not worth the feeling of self-consciousness that comes with it.

If you wear a non-comodgenic brand and you take it off religiously every night, it really shouldn't interfere with your treatment.

MemberMember
(@t1901)

Posted : 02/19/2015 6:48 am

I went makeup free for 2 months when my acne was at it's worst. It really did nothing at all for my skin, and it was incredibly difficult to deal with having bare, inflammed marks on your skin. I know it is isn't an entirely popular opinion, but when I started wearing makeup again I just felt so much better about myself and more confident in my day to day. If you feel comfortable, go for it. But if not, it's probably not worth the feeling of self-consciousness that comes with it.

If you wear a non-comodgenic brand and you take it off religiously every night, it really shouldn't interfere with your treatment.

Sorry to hear going the no makeup route didn't help you, I stopped makeup a few months ago when my skin was clearer before the big breakout but my skin just looked oily and my pores looked huge! I use epiduo at night anyway so my face is clean of makeup. I think I may just continue to wear makeup, I think my problem is the touching/picking. Thanks for the feedback!

MemberMember
(@naturald)

Posted : 02/24/2015 10:23 am

Great advice. Wearing the right makeup is key as it gives people with acne prone skin a great confidence boost.