(@stage1)

Posted : 02/16/2015 8:40 am

Hi everyone,

This is what my face currently looks like:

My problems are:

Excessively oily skin

Very large pores

Blackheads

I had been on Differin for 3 months which did nothing and then I moved on to Isotrex (another retinoid which is the topical form of accutane).

I have been on Isotrex nearly 4 months now and it has made my skin a fraction smoother and helps to stop pimples before they form. Other than that I am still left with the symptoms above.

Could anyone please give me some advice on what to try next? I don't want to go with oral accutane as I've heard some horror stories which has put me off.

What I really want is something that will stop all this oiliness. I believe this is the route of my problem and if I can control it everything else will get better.

I know it may look mild compared to many but I have persisted with this problem for 8 years now and I am really trying to find a solution.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you.

MemberMember
(@kashmoney123)

Posted : 02/16/2015 11:52 am

hey :)
This advice may not work for you particularly, but I just wanted to share my experience. I used to use differin cream, retinoids, etc etc. And I found that all those topical products-although they INITIALLY dried out my skin and appeared to get rid of oil/blackheads, eventually they made my skin MORE oily. You are probably familiar with this concept- of your skin/oil glands compensating for the drying out of your skin by producing more oil.

It was a long time coming, I used these products for SEVERAL years. I found that my skin was super OILY but also had flakes/dry patches because of the drying effect of the differin creams and other similar ones. I stayed FAR away from anything that had oil in it, i NEVER put lotion/moisturizer on my face. Once i stopped the creams, and started treating my skin with a very normal regimen (cleansing/washing+applying a natural moisturizer) I found that is SERIOUSLY evened out, it was not oily and not dry dry anymore. Pretty much in-between, Although, now where I live were going through a very harsh winter so its more on the dry side, but still pretty balanced.

Do you think that your oiliness may be caused by over drying your skin with topicals?

I would suggest applying apply cider vinegar diluted with water with a cotton pad and following with a good moisturizer, sometimes i use rose hip seed oil, grape seed oil, vitamin E oil, etc.

MemberMember
(@stage1)

Posted : 02/16/2015 3:25 pm

hey

This advice may not work for you particularly, but I just wanted to share my experience. I used to use differin cream, retinoids, etc etc. And I found that all those topical products-although they INITIALLY dried out my skin and appeared to get rid of oil/blackheads, eventually they made my skin MORE oily. You are probably familiar with this concept- of your skin/oil glands compensating for the drying out of your skin by producing more oil.

It was a long time coming, I used these products for SEVERAL years. I found that my skin was super OILY but also had flakes/dry patches because of the drying effect of the differin creams and other similar ones. I stayed FAR away from anything that had oil in it, i NEVER put lotion/moisturizer on my face. Once i stopped the creams, and started treating my skin with a very normal regimen (cleansing/washing+applying a natural moisturizer) I found that is SERIOUSLY evened out, it was not oily and not dry dry anymore. Pretty much in-between, Although, now where I live were going through a very harsh winter so its more on the dry side, but still pretty balanced.

Do you think that your oiliness may be caused by over drying your skin with topicals?

I would suggest applying apply cider vinegar diluted with water with a cotton pad and following with a good moisturizer, sometimes i use rose hip seed oil, grape seed oil, vitamin E oil, etc.

Thank you very much for replying. I really appreciate it :)

I have actually tried Apple Cider Vinegar before (both applying it diluted to my face and drinking it) and unfortunately it didn't do anything for me.

I also tried the oil cleansing method which again didn't work for me or change my skin's oiliness. I went about a year putting nothing on my skin and that didn't change anything either. I also used cetaphil cleanser and moisturiser along with exfoliators which didn't cure me of the symptoms. I feel like I'm really running out of options.

MemberMember
(@kashmoney123)

Posted : 02/16/2015 6:46 pm

Okay, so you have already gone the route of cutting out drying agents and instead using really oily/natural topicals!

I am assuming you're older in age, but I know that when I was going through puberty the oiliness of the skin and hair was something that was really intense and couldn't be helped, so I just wanted to rule that out in case you are in that stage, but having read that you have been dealing with this for 8 years, you must be well past puberty!

I noticed that my skin is also SIGNIFICANTLY more oily when I'm stressed out (during school especially) I never have oily skin when I'm on break/vacation/cruising in school. So some stress management like intense (cardio) exercise could help. Not saying that you're stressed though, and you probably already know this type of information!

I hope you find something that works! Please let me know if you do !

MemberMember
(@stage1)

Posted : 02/17/2015 8:54 am

Thanks for the info. I'm 26 now and unfortunately still have this problem. It doesn't matter if I'm stressed or not. The oil just keeps on coming. I've gone through stages or lots of exercise to no exercise and still it didn't change anything. I appreciate you posting though, it's nice to get a reply!

MemberMember
(@fouzi94)

Posted : 02/17/2015 2:26 pm

hey man

for the oiliness ...you can trying avoiding sugar ....i find that sugar makes me more oily and cause acne

you can try it ....if it doesnt work ....you have nothing to loose

MemberMember
(@stage1)

Posted : 02/17/2015 3:46 pm

hey man

for the oiliness ...you can trying avoiding sugar ....i find that sugar makes me more oily and cause acne

you can try it ....if it doesnt work ....you have nothing to loose

Thank you for replying, I do have a healthy diet and avoid sugar.

I only drink water and try to eat healthily. I'm thinking about whether another stronger retinoid would be better to use instead of Isotrex but I don't know much about them.

MemberMember
(@samb)

Posted : 02/17/2015 8:34 pm

Hey so first off I think your skin looks really good actually lol it looks really clear to me and I don't notice the oilyness or large pores you're talking about so much but in terms of oil production I've heard some people on here saying that taking vitamin D3 has helped reduce theirs a bit, I'm currently taking 1000 IU of it daily and it seems to be helping it a little bit, not a lot though. Also have you tried any sort of salicylic acid products to treat your pores? I tried using Differin cream for a bit and personally didn't really find it to help with my blackheads/pores, think I'm going to try introducing some sort of salicylic acid product to my routine soon, will let you know if it helps at all with the blackheads.