Notifications
Clear all

Does Retin-A Work For Bad Red Scarring? Is It Too Strong For Active Acne?

MemberMember
(@lilianware)

Posted : 02/15/2015 7:28 pm

Hi!

I have managed to (kind of) calm my acne to a more controllable state with the regime I am using (it's on my profile if you're interested) but I still have A LOT of red scarring, it's so bad it looks like clusters of shiny red spots on my cheeks and jawline even though they are painless and feel relatively smooth.

I have heard a few things about Retin A and wondered if anyone has had any relief from red scarring when using it, they are quite new scars which will probably fade in time but we all would like that little extra boost of help, if it works.

I can get it over the counter in Spain for around ten euros but as it's not prescribed I wanted to know more about the risks of just using it myself without any real directions. I know it's bleaching and drying but is known to be the best scar/wrinkle healer out there.

If anyone could recommend it or give me any pointers that would be great.

(I started Lymecycline a week ago which apparently works with scars too but I'm dubious as it, from what I have read, rarely works on acne let alone scarring)

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/15/2015 11:58 pm

Be careful about self-medicating, although I won't tell you not to do it.

So what you have aren't really scars, it's post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Retin-A is definitely a good option for you.

use it at night following a gentle cleanser, apply only a small amount all over your face. Let it sit for twenty minutes or so and then apply a good moisturizer.

You may want to start by using it every other night.