Notifications
Clear all

What To Say When People Are Blatantly Looking At Your Acne

MemberMember
(@timbuddy)

Posted : 02/11/2015 1:50 pm

I'm curious what anyone does when someone is clearly, obviously, and almost rudely looking at your acne, especially when you're having a conversation with them and instead of looking you in the eye are looking all over your face.

Do you usually say nothing?

Do you have a favorite thing to say or do? Whether it's polite or rude or whatever

I hate when this happens to me and want to know what people on this forum think

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 02/11/2015 4:17 pm

"My eyes are up here"

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 02/11/2015 4:19 pm

I'm curious what anyone does when someone is clearly, obviously, and almost rudely looking at your acne, especially when you're having a conversation with them and instead of looking you in the eye are looking all over your face.

Do you usually say nothing?

Do you have a favorite thing to say or do? Whether it's polite or rude or whatever

I hate when this happens to me and want to know what people on this forum think

Hi -

If it is someone I don't know (say, a stranger or acquaintance), I touch my face in the spot they are looking and say "Oh dear, do I have something on my face?", like you would if you were concerned that there was leftover food or a pen mark or something. That usually snaps them back into focus. Usually they will say "No not at all" and the conversation can continue.

If it's a friend or someone close, just acknowledging your acne with a little humor, say "Yeah - it's a shiner" or something to that effect. Sometimes our eyes are just drawn to anything that throws of the symmetry of someone's face, say a blemish or a mole. It's often instinctual, and people can't help it sometimes. Now, if someone is being rude or blatantly staring, politely asking them to stop staring or simply leaving their presence is totally acceptable as well.

MemberMember
(@ohsehun89)

Posted : 02/11/2015 4:37 pm

Yes it happened a lot to me. Before it bothered me so much that I cry inside the bathroom after using benzac and my obviously acne has flattened living red marks they still look at my face when I talk to them but I just let them be or sometimes I don't look at them eye to eye when talking. I know rude but they are ruder.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 02/12/2015 8:57 am

Yes it happened a lot to me. Before it bothered me so much that I cry inside the bathroom after using benzac and my obviously acne has flattened living red marks they still look at my face when I talk to them but I just let them be or sometimes I don't look at them eye to eye when talking. I know rude but they are ruder.

Yes - it can be quite horrible. When my acne was very bad, I often found myself avoiding people's gazes and looking anywhere but their face because I didn't want to see them starting at my skin. It's very hard. Sometimes it can be very empowering to say something rather than try to ignore it though.

Member Customer Service
(@acne-org-support)

Posted : 02/12/2015 3:26 pm

way back in high school (geez I sound so old), I told a classmate once with confidence "Yes I have facial constellations". It called back her attention but it made her laugh at the same time : )

254fgjjk liked
MemberMember
(@kitteechaosyahoo-com)

Posted : 02/12/2015 5:33 pm

I remember being in middle school and this guy was looking at a particularly bad zit on my chin when we were talking, and not only was he staring, but he was also touching his chin with his finger RIGHT on the same spot where the zit on my chin was. The bastard. I didn't say anything. Just thought I'd share.

MemberMember
(@rian202003)

Posted : 02/23/2015 10:04 pm

Being Scottish and bad tempered a simple f@#$ off usually suffices.

Seriously I just stare back, an ice cold stare. That works.

The adrenaline starts pumping though. We shouldn't be in that situation where ignorant folk make acne sufferers feel more crap than they already do.

MemberMember
(@jlopez)

Posted : 03/01/2015 9:09 am

For me personally, the best thing to do is just look them right in the eye.
For years I have struggled with making direct eye contact because of my acne, but I have come to realise that if you are making direct eye contact with someone, they will usually meet your gaze, and if they're looking into your eyes they aren't looking at your acne!

And if they're rude enough to be scanning over every pore of your face and not looking into your eyes, then try your best to be brave, hold your head up and realise that it's their issue, not yours.

254fgjjk liked
MemberMember
(@arts)

Posted : 03/18/2015 3:31 am

Acne spots just draw attention to them. What do you do when you stare in the mirror? Do you look in your eyes and think how beautiful they are? Or is your gaze fixated on your acne? I bet the latter. I agree, people shouldn't openly stare at it the whole time but if you catch someone looking at it from time to time, what's wrong with that? I sometimes catch my loved ones doing that. That's totally OK, in my opinion.