Does Regimen Help W...

Notifications
Clear all

Does Regimen Help With Hormonal Acne?

MemberMember
(@littleyellowman)

Posted : 02/09/2015 11:25 am

Ever since I've discontinued birth control pills about 5 years ago, my skin has been a hot mess. I'm 45 and have acne - I never had acne this bad even as a teenager. I've tried everything it seems: OTC products, oil cleanse method for skin, probiotics, zinc supplements, and on and on. The only thing I haven't tried is Proactive, which I've heard is just a waste of $$, and The Regimen. Since hormonal acne is an internal problem, would The Regimen help at all? Also, once the skin has adjusted to The Regimen, does the dryness/flakiness from the BP continue? I'm currently using a 2.5% BP product and the dryness is horrible despite using jojoba oil in addition to a moisturizer w/jojoba oil in it. I'm at wit's end. I feel like my only option is to go to my GYN, have my hormones checked and more than likely go back on the BC pills, which I don't want to do. Any advice is appreciated!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/09/2015 1:53 pm

It would probably help a bit but most likely wont keep you totally clear. Why don't you try spiro? I believe its safer than the pill and works really well for hormonal acne. Go see your derm and see what they have to say. I am surprised they haven't recommended this to you by now.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@littleyellowman)

Posted : 02/09/2015 2:39 pm

I haven't consulted a dermatologist because I've heard/read all he/she will do is put me on antibiotics which is only a temporary fix, and possibly other potent meds. After just briefly looking up Spiro, it looks like a diuretic?? How is this safer than BC pills? Not doubting - just asking a question for more info. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/09/2015 3:11 pm

Its safer because there is no chance of blood clots and it doesn't have any hormones in it so it just blocks the androgen receptors in the body. I have been on it for over 2 years its amazing stuff. You can get it from your dermatologist or an endocrinologist. Go the hormonal section of this forum and search for spironolactone you will see many posts about it.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/09/2015 3:14 pm

Spiro is a diuretic but it also works off-label as an androgen blocker, which inhibits testosterone in your body. This is the root of hormonal acne for most women - too many androgens.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 02/09/2015 8:08 pm

The Regimen works for hormonal acne. The biggest cause of my acne is PCOS and I have managed to control this under the Regimen. Although sometimes I do get a spot or two when it is almost that time of the month, I don't really worry about it since it is nothing compared to where my acne once was.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@littleyellowman)

Posted : 02/10/2015 12:50 pm

nicmic62: Thank you for your info, specifically your "routine" info at the bottom. I'm printing it as a reference. Your skin is gorgeous judging by your photo! I purchased the Cerave Foaming Face Wash last night. I'll use it in conjunction with my 2.5% BP and jojoba oil moisturizer. I've decided to try this routine for a while. I think bouncing back and forth between produces probably hasn't helped either. I'd like to also try the Cerave Moisturizing lotion. May I ask why you use a different moisturizer for morning vs. evening? I also use Revlon's Colorstay foundation for combo/oily skin. I have yet to find a foundation I like better (with the exception of EL's double wear foundation, but the colors are way too dark for me). I also take a zinc supplement along with fish oil caps. I've made a promise to myself to stop picking at my skin as well. I know this is a huge culprit. I do it and don't even realize it sometimes. My Dad does the same thing, except that he bites his nails. A nervous habit. I'm going to try to not scrub my skin so much with a washcloth, etc. Thanks again.

DeLovely and nicmic62 liked
MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 02/11/2015 1:48 am

nicmic62: Thank you for your info, specifically your "routine" info at the bottom. I'm printing it as a reference. Your skin is gorgeous judging by your photo! I purchased the Cerave Foaming Face Wash last night. I'll use it in conjunction with my 2.5% BP and jojoba oil moisturizer. I've decided to try this routine for a while. I think bouncing back and forth between produces probably hasn't helped either. I'd like to also try the Cerave Moisturizing lotion. May I ask why you use a different moisturizer for morning vs. evening? I also use Revlon's Colorstay foundation for combo/oily skin. I have yet to find a foundation I like better (with the exception of EL's double wear foundation, but the colors are way too dark for me). I also take a zinc supplement along with fish oil caps. I've made a promise to myself to stop picking at my skin as well. I know this is a huge culprit. I do it and don't even realize it sometimes. My Dad does the same thing, except that he bites his nails. A nervous habit. I'm going to try to not scrub my skin so much with a washcloth, etc. Thanks again.

I'm glad it has helped. :)

For the moisturizer question, the one I use in the AM is lighter than the one I use at night.

Hope the regimen works well for you. :)

MemberMember
(@angel40face)

Posted : 02/17/2015 10:43 am

Well I have hormonal acne and was wondering if the Regimen would work for me as well. I've been on the Regimen for 10 weeks now and there really isn't much progress; just a little. Is it too soon to expect results or should I give up. Please help! I'm constantly getting break outs esp on my cheeks and I only use Regimen products and no make-up, no extra stuff at all.

MemberMember
(@bozo)

Posted : 03/01/2015 10:39 pm

All acne is hormonal. Excess hormones play a critical part in the development of acne lesions. Without excess hormones, there wouldn't be any acne. So, yes, the regimen treats hormonal acne.

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 03/12/2015 12:40 pm

From my own experience, the regimen is the only thing that has worked on my hormonal acne. It's the only skin care regimen that has worked on my face... So, IMO, the regimen will work wonders on it but you have to be patient and do not deviate from the instructions. When I first began the regimen in 2012, it took close to 5 months for my skin to finally be clear. It progressed and regressed many times before it finally stopped breaking out. I stepped down on it and eventually attempted to ween my skin off of it and I regret it 1000%... Now I've begun doing it once again as a newbie because I was beginning to experience cystic acne. Once a regimen girl, always a regimen girl... 😀

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@littleyellowman)

Posted : 03/24/2015 2:31 pm

I started my Paula's Choice products a few weeks ago, which I used years ago, but my acne wasn't near as bad then - just a blemish every now and then. But I thought I'd try it again for this round. The acne on my chin is horrible right now! I'm wondering if I'm in the purging phase?? I'm desperate, so I went to the dermatologist this morning. Not sure if I accomplished anything or not. I'm so confused now!!! She gave me the following:

Estrostep FE RX - she confirmed that this is definitely hormonal acne

Doxycycline RX, which will cost a fortune on my insurance plan

Tretinoin RX, insurance won't cover this because of my age

Samples of Aczone - shouldn't use w/Benzoyl Peroxide

Samples of Tazorac - use only once a week, but NOT with Benzoyl Peroxide or AHA or Tretinoin

The nurse gave me a "cheat sheet" on usage for above, but it's a holy mess! I'm tempted to just continue with my Paula's products and start the BC pills and take the Doxy because the above info is so confusing!! Any thoughts?