Notifications
Clear all

A 3-Day Regimen That Really Helps Me

MemberMember
(@timbuddy)

Posted : 02/08/2015 6:20 pm

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and wanted to share a 3-day regimen that really helps "kickstart" me when my skin starts going south and breaking out. I have it detailed out pretty well if anyone is interested - just didn't want to do a super long post here if no one wants to see that.

It involves not just diet but also some mental things to do to stay positive and lower stress, which for me has always been the biggest factor.

If anyone is interested let me know and I will post as much as I can.

MemberMember
(@fouzi94)

Posted : 02/10/2015 3:52 pm

im interested to hear about this regimen ....as im sure anyone would .....just post what you can ....you never know who'll read it

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/10/2015 6:50 pm

hey dude I'd be interested in hearing too, post when you can :)

MemberMember
(@bidgood)

Posted : 02/15/2015 4:23 pm

Definitely interested!

MemberMember
(@timbuddy)

Posted : 02/15/2015 5:57 pm

Cool - this is pretty long but I wanted to share as much info and make it as actionable as possible for people. This 3-day regimen was what finally gave me hope after suffering for so long. I never looked back and it totally changed my entire life as a result.

Regardless of the specific things I mention to do, the most important things are (1) keep blood sugar levels stable to minimize inflammation (2) get high-quality nutrients from green veggies in your diet (3) get Omega-3s in your system in minimize inflammation (4) drink lots of water - at the right time and in the right quantity.

So don't get caught up in the specifics so much as the principles. The great thing is once you understand these principles you will be able to use them forever, regardless of what types of foods you "like", and it doesn't mean you can never have any junk food or cheat meals again. I am probably 80-90% on point with my diet but a few times a week I splurge.

Why this 3-day regimen?

Long story short, I suffered from acne for over 10 years and it wasnt until I mastered what Im about to show you here that I finally cured my acne and kept my skin clear for good.

A 3-day regimen like this was the FIRST thing ever that showed true promise for me. It opened my eyes to the possibility that diet DID have an impact on my skin, despite what every doctor had told me. After the 3rd day I woke up with reduced redness in my pimples, no new pimples, and TONS of energy. This told me I was doing something right.

So here's the big overview:

Action

Reason

1) Drink plenty of water in the right amounts and at the right times

Flush your body of toxins, hydrate the skin from the inside out, and support just about everything your body does

2) Eat 3-4 meals (a) balanced in protein, carbohydrate, and fats with the foods consumed in a specific sequence AND with the right types of each food

Balance your blood sugar levels to keep inflammation at bay, particularly inflammation due to insulin spikes from high-glycemic, processed carbs like bread and sugar

3) Consume Omega-3 fatty acids, either through foods or specific supplements

Cool your body with potent anti-inflammatory compounds

4) Consume green vegetables in higher quantities than usual, with foods and/or specific supplements

Cleanse your blood and cool your body with plant-based anti-inflammatory compounds

What each meal will look like, with a little more specificity

Water and supplements aside, each meal will look like this:

1) Consume protein the size of your hand

2) Consume healthy fat the size of your thumb

3) Consume low-glycemic, mostly complex carbohydrates that would fit in the palm of your hand

4) (If your protein is not the rich Omega-3 type I recommend then you will take fish oil before each meal)

Caveats:

eat 75 100% of the protein first, BEFORE eating anything else

eat fat and leafy greens with the last 25% of the protein or after the protein (with the exception of fish oil which would be consumed immediately before your first bite of protein)

eat carbohydrates last, with the exception of leafy greens which can be consumed starting with the last 25% of your protein per the bullet above

(no limit to the amount of leafy greens and low-glycemic green vegetables that you eat)

Chew thoroughly, eat in a relaxed state and pay attention to how the food actually tastes and feels in your stomach as you consume it

DO NOT use your iPhone / Computer / Tablet, especially with high-stimulating activities like social media texting / emailing

When you finish eating, sit for 5-10 minutes in a relaxed state and pay attention to how your digestion feels in your body

You will not eat any dairy or bread products. Sorry. Get over it. Its only 3 days.

Go to bed by 10pm and do not eat a meal for 3 hours prior to bed.

Now for more specificity

Note that this is just a guideline where I balance practicality with impact. All of these foods are available on Amazon or at your local grocer.

If you want to go BIG TIME, then later in this post I give the Varsity level foods that are likely to have the biggest impact on your skin. However, they are more expensive.

If you dont like some of these foods, I give some other examples where you can still get 80% of the benefit because you are still keeping in line with the principles. However, you will have to consume more fish oil to make up for it

For 3 days your diet will look like this (I will give you an exact shopping list later this is just to give you a sense of what you need)

Breakfast

(if your protein is anything other than the Wild Sockeye Salmon or Sardines, then immediately before eating the protein take 2 fish oil softgels)

Protein (eat 75% of this first, before anything else)

2-3 eggs, sunny side up, and 1-2 oz of turkey breast or other lunch meat (fish oil before)

-OR-

4-6 oz of Wild Sockeye Salmon (canned or fresh)

-OR-

2-4 oz Wild Sockeye Salmon + 1-2 eggs sunny side up
*again, for the protein aim for the size of your hand as a general thumbrule, or 25 35g total, depending on your body size

Fat drizzled on the protein and/or the carbohydrate

1-2 TBSP coconut oil (melted)

-OR-

1 TBSP extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil

-OR-

0.5 TBSP Kerrygold Grassfed butter, unsalted

-OR-
4-6 almonds or walnuts or pumpkin seeds

Carbohydrate (eat last)

1/3 cup (dry) Quinoa Flakes

Recommended for taste:

- pinch of sea salt

- pinch of cinnamon or other no-sugar seasoning of your choice

- 1 tsp of honey OR- 1 tsp maple syrup OR- 6 blueberries

- I like to put the fat (coconut oil or grassfed butter) here

Lunch / Dinner

2 fish oil softgels, then immediately into

Protein (eat 75% of this first, before anything else)

4-6 oz of Wild Sockeye Salmon (canned or fresh)

-OR-

2-4 oz Wild Sockeye Salmon + 1-2 eggs sunny side up
-OR-

4-6oz of Chicken breast, ground turkey, lean ground beef, seasoned as you wish, but with no sugar-based seasonings (e.g. BBQ sauce) (plus fish oil before)

(aim to have the salmon or sardines with at least one of these meals)

Fat drizzled on the protein and/or the carbohydrate

1-2 TBSP coconut oil (melted)

-OR-

1 TBSP extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil

-OR-

0.5 TBSP Kerrygold Grassfed butter, unsalted
-OR-
6-8 almonds or walnuts

Vegetables (eat with the last 25% of the protein or combined with the carbohydrate/fat)

Salad using at least 3 cups of a leafy green (no iceberg lettuce) e.g. spinach, romaine, chard

-OR-

Steamed broccoli, zucchini, or other hearty green vegetable

*Use only the olive oil, coconut oil, or butter as dressing and a pink of sea salt if desired (NO other salad dressings too much leeway to add high amount of sugar or poor fats to the meal)

Carbohydrate (eat last)

Quinoa flakes as made for breakfast, but seasoned with garlic, onion, or other non-breakfast seasonings as you like

-OR-

1/4 cup dry (3/4 cup cooked) Quinoa, seasoned as you like

-OR-

1 cup of steamed/cooked sweet potato OR butternut squash, seasoned with:

- Pinch of sea salt

- Garlic (fresh or powder)

- Cinnamon

Shopping List

One dozen Omega-3 eggs (look specifically for the eggs that say Omega-3 eggs and that give a specific claim of ___mg of Omega-3 fatty acids

Wild Sockeye Salmon minimum one pound (16 oz)

o Fresh is best. If you want the best go to [removed] and they will ship to you in dry ice.

o Other options: Costco, Whole Foods, other natural grocers, and possibly your local grocer.

o Sockeye salmon is preferred because of its high Omega-3 content. King / Chinook / Pink Salmon are okay but you will need to supplement with fish oil pills. Do NOT get Atlantic Salmon.

o Canned options:

-Vital Choice

-Amazon

-Trader Joes

o If you dont like Salmon but can tolerate Sardines, Wild Planet has some great-tasting options. That is an acceptable substitute.

Extra Virgin, Cold Pressed Coconut oil.

Quinoa Flakes and/or Dry Quinoa

Leafy green vegetables spinach or romaine

Robust green vegetables broccoli, Brussels sprouts, zucchini

Sea salt

Other seasonings garlic (fresh or powdered), cinnamon, other herbs you like

High-quality fish oil

Easy source of water 100 oz per day

That is literally ALL you need for this 3-day sprint, but here are some other options to consider if you think the list above is too Spartan.

Optional foods if you think that is too restrictive:

Optional meats if you dont like Sockeye Salmon (note that you will have to supplement with more fish oil):

o Turkey breast

o Turkey bacon (with as minimal ingredients as possible)

o Chicken breast or legs

o Ground turkey

Other carbohydrate options:

o Sweet potato

o Butternut squash

o Black beans (keep this quantity low, under 20g high in carbohydrates)

Other vegetables (green ones)

Green tea if you need caffeine

If you have a sweet tooth, then Dark Chocolate 75% or greater (e.g. Lindt) one square after a meal, no more.

Blueberries (fresh or frozen) for the breakfast cereal

Whats NOT on this list: bread of any kind, rice, white potatoes, coffee

Tims shopping list I keep it simple, nothing fancy. And I love Sockeye Salmon so this is easy for me:

Protein

Fat

Carbohydrates

Vegetables

One pound of Wild Sockeye Salmon (VitalChoice or Costco in frozen section)

Extra Virgin, Cold-Pressed Coconut Oil

Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes

- 1 pound fresh spinach

3 cans Wild Planet Sardines in Marinara

Extra Virgin, Cold-Pressed Olive Oil

Dry Quinoa 1b bag

One head of Romaine letttuce

lb low-sodium turkey breast deli meat

1/3 pound walnuts

Frozen sweet potato cubes or butternut squash cubes

Two heads broccoli

One dozen Omega-3 eggs

Lindt 85% dark chocolate

Small container blueberries

Tims day on the regimen
(keep in mind I am 205 lb and may have a larger than average appetite due to my size and physical activity)

Time / Meal

Protein

Fat

Carbohydrate

Vegetable

Wakeup 6am

Drink 16 oz room temperature water.
5 min later drink another 16 oz (32 oz total)

Breakfast 8am, complete 8:30am

(3 softgels Fish Oil before eating)

-A few slices of turkey deli meat, sauteed in pan with coconut oil

-3 eggs sunny side up, yolk runny

- From coconut oil on turkey

- coconut oil drizzled on quinoa flakes

- Quinoa flakes (1/3 cup dry) cooked in hot water

- topped with coconut oil & 10 blueberries

None unless I felt like a handful of spinach

10am

10:30 am

12pm

4-6 oz Sockeye Salmon, topped with Coconut oil

-Coconut Oil On Salmon & Squash

-1 square Lindt dark chocolate

-Butternut squash, sauteed in pan with coconut oil

head of broccoli, steamed and topped with Olive oil

2pm

4pm (snack)

One can Sardines, handful spinach, 4 walnuts

6pm

7pm

Dinner same as lunch

Notes:

1) I would eat 75% of the protein first, before anything else

2) I follow the 15 min : 45 min rule for water - I dont drink water less than 15 minutes before eating or less than 45 minutes after eating (too much water with food can dilute critical enzymes needed for digestion)

3) If I happened to not be consuming the Sockeye Salmon at a meal then I would have taken 3 fish oil softgels immediately before the meal, as I did for breakfast.

4) No coffee or other drinks. The only exception would be green tea if I needed caffeine.

BONUSES: be consistent with these and you have a high chance of your skin taking on a GLOW by the end of the 3 days:

Between breakfast and lunch consume a green smoothie (see recipe)
-OR-

Take the more convenient whole food green powders that I recommend or one of your own choosing:

- Garden of Life Alkalizer & Detoxifier (this has a unique taste to some people I like it but you may need to blend it with an apple or small amount of pineapple)

- Garden of Life Perfect Food Raw

- Amazing Grass

- Or one of your choosing there are many but the 3 above have worked well for me)

That's it! Seems like a lot but once you get the hang is pretty basic. This will not cure your acne for good or even immediately, but by the end of the 3 days you are bound to look and feel different, ESPECIALLY if your diet differs significantly from this.

And you don't have to follow this diet ALL THE TIME, of course - what matter most is the principles and finding ways to work them into your regimen. Hope this helps some folks out - doing something like this and really seeing the difference is what finally gave me hope after 10 years of suffering.

MemberMember
(@fouzi94)

Posted : 02/17/2015 11:30 am

very interesting man

i been sugar ...dairy...gluten...veg oil....junk food free for a while now

i cheated 2 weeks and had the worst breakout in almost a year

but now even that im eating healthy ...in noticed couple days a go that my face gets oily faster than usual....usually it takes like 8 hours for me to feel the oil ...but now in less than 5 hours ...my face feels oily ...i dont know why ...i didnt change anything ....the only think i may have changed is ....stopping my morning green smouthies but even before i introduced them to my diet ...i had a normal dry face ......the only new thing in my diet is im eating ''fennel '' now .....could it be the reason ....what do you think dude ?

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/17/2015 2:17 pm

very interesting man

i been sugar ...dairy...gluten...veg oil....junk food free for a while now

i cheated 2 weeks and had the worst breakout in almost a year

but now even that im eating healthy ...in noticed couple days a go that my face gets oily faster than usual....usually it takes like 8 hours for me to feel the oil ...but now in less than 5 hours ...my face feels oily ...i dont know why ...i didnt change anything ....the only think i may have changed is ....stopping my morning green smouthies but even before i introduced them to my diet ...i had a normal dry face ......the only new thing in my diet is im eating ''fennel '' now .....could it be the reason ....what do you think dude ?

My guess is that your skin is probably producing the same amount of oil but because you no longer have clogged pores and inflammation from your diet, so the oil surfaces rather than clogs in your pores? It may feel oily, but I'm guessing its that your skin is healthier. Your skin should produce oil, that's what lubricates and protects your skin.

MemberMember
(@timbuddy)

Posted : 02/17/2015 7:10 pm

I'm with SiriBai - I think your oily skin might be a good thing, just your skin rebalancing. Consider going "caveman" for a few days and only washing with water - maybe your skin will reach an equilibrium with the oiliness.

And the oil can be a good thing - the more lubricated your skin is naturally, the less likely you are to have wrinkles. I'm 36 and don't have any wrinkles or any major lines and most of my friends do - possibly because my skin has always been on the oily side!

It's really hard to say if there's one specific thing that is causing it - I think the best thing would be to keep everything the same, then start of your green smoothies again to see what happens.

Hope that helps!

MemberMember
(@fouzi94)

Posted : 02/18/2015 4:18 am

thanks for answering guys

i cut out ''fennel '' again .....and i noticed that when i woke up ...my face wasnt as oily...i was happy and ....i tough i eliminated the cause ...i ....but after washing my face this morning ....my face still gets oily 6 hours later(around 2 pm) ....couple days a go ....i could go 9 HOURS before needing to wash it ....but now it seems something has changed ....i dont think its fennel is the cause ....the only other thing must be the green smouthies (mix lettuce with celeary and fennel) ....so im trying to drink water (before i didnt drink any pure water and skin remained dry so maybe the water in the smouthies is the reason it stayed dry)....if this doesnt work i'll try the smouthie thing again

will keep u updated

MemberMember
(@fouzi94)

Posted : 02/19/2015 11:14 am

new update

now im 100 percent sure that fennel is not the cause,,,,,,,i started drinking green smouthies again ,,,,will see if they are the one responsible

i also started eating sardines again (4 sardines a day ....cook them with legumes (lentils) ) it taste good ....but im not sure if sardines are good or bad for acne

they are 100 percent fat ....but i think its the good type of fat????any of you guys got an idea ??

MemberMember
(@timbuddy)

Posted : 02/19/2015 11:38 am

Are you breaking out? Or just oil? If you're just oily it could be a number of things. Possibly the sardines because they are oily fish rich in Omega-3 (the good fat). Do you happen to be in a humid environment?

Increasing your water significantly could be a big step. Here are some thumb rules:

1) Aim for 1/2-2/3 your bodyweight in ounces per day. E.g. if you weight 150 pounds, aim for 75-100oz per day.

2) Drink 16-20 oz first thing in the morning

3) Observe the 15:45 rule - no water / liquids for 15 minutes before a meal and no water / liquids for 45 minutes after a meal.

(water can dilute the enzymes your body needs to digest properly). If you feel you have to drink during a meal then only take very small sips.

Having a water bottle handy makes all this easier because you can count more easily how many bottles you've had. A typical protein shaker bottle is 20oz.

I would say keep everything the same for 3 days and try the water per the amount above. See what happens!

Look forward to hearing how it goes.

-Tim

MemberMember
(@fouzi94)

Posted : 02/19/2015 2:57 pm

Are you breaking out? Or just oil? If you're just oily it could be a number of things. Possibly the sardines because they are oily fish rich in Omega-3 (the good fat). Do you happen to be in a humid environment?

Increasing your water significantly could be a big step. Here are some thumb rules:

1) Aim for 1/2-2/3 your bodyweight in ounces per day. E.g. if you weight 150 pounds, aim for 75-100oz per day.

2) Drink 16-20 oz first thing in the morning

3) Observe the 15:45 rule - no water / liquids for 15 minutes before a meal and no water / liquids for 45 minutes after a meal.

(water can dilute the enzymes your body needs to digest properly). If you feel you have to drink during a meal then only take very small sips.

Having a water bottle handy makes all this easier because you can count more easily how many bottles you've had. A typical protein shaker bottle is 20oz.

I would say keep everything the same for 3 days and try the water per the amount above. See what happens!

Look forward to hearing how it goes.

-Tim

its not the sardines cuz i just add them today

the humidity is 77 percent (not sure what does that means ...maybe u can tell me)

as for breakouts .....my face gets oily very fast than before .....but the breakouts so far have been small (i think due to being back on my healthy diet ....since i cheated 3 weeks a go) .....i been eating 0 fat ....just lentils and kidney beans and vegetables for 3 weeks ....i wanted to let my breakout heal before adding new stuff .....but today i ate 4 sardines ....thinking that some good fat will help with the oil ....what do you think ...im afraid to go back on meat and chicken since im not 100 percent sure they are safe ....but lentils and kidney beans are 100 percent safe to me

MemberMember
(@user354689)

Posted : 02/26/2015 10:19 pm

Can hemp seeds be consumed instead of drinking fish oil? I don't mind eating salmon, yet I would rather eat hemp seeds instead of drinking fish oil. Thank you for sharing your 3-day regimen as it has confirmed some things for me concerning rice.