Notifications
Clear all

Every Spot Has Started Leaving Big Scars

MemberMember
(@giovaniv)

Posted : 02/06/2015 2:16 pm

I've had acne for 12 years now and have been taking minocyline for about 8 years. It has definitely been a massive help since I started taking it.

I haven't had a major issue of scarring since starting the medication. Unless I pop/squeeze a spot myself, generally my spots do not leave long lasting scars. They disappear soon after. That is until around 5 months ago. Now, every spot on my face leaves a huge scar which just does not go away. I'm left with so many scars on my face. Not just that, there's a spot on my nose which will not die, it just keeps regrowing. Has been there for 4 months now. I've never had a spot like this before.

I haven't made any dietary changes at all, but there has been an increase in the medication I've been taking.

I've been having severe back issues for the past 6/7 months and have been prescribed naproxen as an anti inflammatory. I've also started having multivitamins and omega 3 fish oil tablets.

I do leave the 3 hour gap between taking minocyline and the multivitamins as suggested.

These are the only changes I can think of that may be causing scarring.

Any help would be appreciated.

Robi2348 liked
MemberMember
(@robi2348)

Posted : 02/06/2015 4:24 pm

It seem as if the per long doses of the medication is giving complications, now you are having side effects. Before trying other medications start anticipating that your next medication is going to heal you. Stop worrying about how you are looking and start anticipating how you are going to look.

MemberMember
(@noche)

Posted : 02/06/2015 10:15 pm

@GiovaniV....I think it could be a good idea to ask your doctor for some blood work, and I also think that mynocycline can be related to what is going on with the skin not being able to heal as it used to .

Also this is what happens to the skin when it is pick,stretched and put through so many skin products, the skin starts reacting like rubber,I think I have ended up with this kind of skin too ,its so frustrating,I understand.

The dermatologist did some blood work.

I also think that being on minocycline for that long is just wrong, and then I thought of my my son who took solodyn ,a kind of minocycline for 3 years ,by then he was having headaches.

So ,tell the doctor to check for inflammation .

MemberMember
(@no_hope)

Posted : 02/06/2015 10:39 pm

8 years on mino!???! That's sounds wrong. I don't understand this. Why don't u go on accutane and get it over with? No longer then 6 months n wallah never have too take meds for acne again. It also cures oily skin and is the only thin that cures oily skin in my opinion.

I was on short term mino and the results were fantastic but did not help my oily skin at all.

Binga and noche liked
MemberMember
(@noche)

Posted : 02/06/2015 10:42 pm

I pressed the post button,I wasn't finished, go read Wikipedia minocycline ,, it says that in rare cases it can trigger autoimmune diseases.,hepatitis,rheumatoid arthritis,lupus.

So before you take any other over the counter products,please go check with your doctor,but I don't understand what kind of doctor could write a prescription for an antibiotic for such a long time without thinking consequences.

I was left with hard to heal skin right after retin a micro and minocycline,

I have managed to heal my face ,only a couple of pimples that pop every now and then, and that I have to leave alone because they can take forever to heal, or form really weird scar tissue if I mess with them.

I have had hypothyroidism for about 12 years ,but the changes on my face ,I blame pretty much on the use of retin a .

The bumps and cysts that the retin a formed stayed in my chin area ,I can feel the scar tissue , the collagen got messed up I think.

So it has been a long journey to try to heal the skin,I can't use anything without my face reacting or melting, it is very scary .

So right now it's just benzoyl peroxide cleanser and a mix of grapeseed oil 3ounces and 2 or 3 drops of clove oil , from this mix, I apply to my face ,like 3 to 5 drops right after I shower or wash my face .

I didn't mean to scare you, but just get the blood work done, to check your liver,kidneys and autoimmune diseases.

Take care.

no_hope liked
MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 02/06/2015 10:57 pm

Yeah look into accutane. Start with a low dose if necessary. I was clear with 10mg. Also you don't need lot of multivitamins. Low dose zinc and b vitamins clears acne for some.

no_hope liked
MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/06/2015 11:48 pm

Accutane has the risk of the same side effects as long term use of Minocycline that the above posters have mentioned. It's also a form of chemotherapy and is toxic to your body.

Are these indented or raised scars, or are they just hyperpigmentation (flat red marks) or erythmia (red marks that turn white when you press on them? If the latter two, they will fade with time.

MemberMember
(@no_hope)

Posted : 02/07/2015 12:27 am

Accutane has the risk of the same side effects as long term use of Minocycline that the above posters have mentioned. It's also a form of chemotherapy and is toxic to your body.

Are these indented or raised scars, or are they just hyperpigmentation (flat red marks) or erythmia (red marks that turn white when you press on them? If the latter two, they will fade with time.

The negative side effects are usually with long term use and high dosage. A short course of accutane is far better then 8 years of mino!

Let's be real accutane is a wonderful drug and the side effects are dependent on how your body tolerates the drug. I only had nosebleeds and dry lips. 8 years of mino is extremely dangerous.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 02/07/2015 7:39 am

Seriously, 8 years of antibiotics sounds more than excessive. I've never even heard of a case like this. Every single Accutane thread you get the anti-Accutane, holistic medicine people condemning it. What I also find interesting is that these same people never actually have severe cystic acne themselves. I get really pissed when people try to force their opinion on others and remove individual choice.

Yes it's a serious medication, but for most people it's effectively a cure. I know for me, Accutane basically cured me of cystic acne. My only regret is that I didn't take it sooner and it could have saved me from more scarring. But I was scared off for so long precisely because I had read so much misinformation and fear-mongering on the interwebs.

Are there people who've suffered bad side effects from Accutane? I'm sure. However, it's also true that a lot of those websites that condemn Accutane are fronts for law firms that stand to make millions from lawsuits against Roche, the maker of Accutane.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/07/2015 9:49 am

The negative side effects are usually with long term use and high dosage. A short course of accutane is far better then 8 years of mino!

Let's be real accutane is a wonderful drug and the side effects are dependent on how your body tolerates the drug. I only had nosebleeds and dry lips. 8 years of mino is extremely dangerous.

Where did I say that 8 years of antibiotics was a good thing?

I never said that 8 year of mino was a good thing!!

Seriously, 8 years of antibiotics sounds more than excessive. I've never even heard of a case like this. Every single Accutane thread you get the anti-Accutane, holistic medicine people condemning it. What I also find interesting is that these same people never actually have severe cystic acne themselves. I get really pissed when people try to force their opinion on others and remove individual choice.

Yes it's a serious medication, but for most people it's effectively a cure. I know for me, Accutane basically cured me of cystic acne. My only regret is that I didn't take it sooner and it could have saved me from more scarring. But I was scared off for so long precisely because I had read so much misinformation and fear-mongering on the interwebs.

Are there people who've suffered bad side effects from Accutane? I'm sure. However, it's also true that a lot of those websites that condemn Accutane are fronts for law firms that stand to make millions from lawsuits against Roche, the maker of Accutane.

I'm not removing individual choice. I think it can be a great drug. But you can't go into taking it lightly. I was merely comparing the two for their side effects. People should understand what Accutane is. It was originally intended to treat cancer, which means it kills healthy cells as well as sick ones.

I'm on Yaz for my moderate cystic acne. It has horrible lawsuits against it, along with Yasmin and other drospirenone-containing birth control pills. Did I go into it knowing these lawsuits? Yes. I still made the decision to take it despite the small risk of disabling DVT - blood clots in the deep veins which can lead to pulmonary embolism or stroke. I also spent the other night in the ER for fear that the pain in my legs were blood clots forming. The ultrasound was negative. But I'm aware of the risk.

MemberMember
(@giovaniv)

Posted : 02/07/2015 8:45 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. I will go see my doctor and hopefully get off minocyline and change my treatment.