Notifications
Clear all

Is It Okay If I Start Taking Accutane Before Seeing A Dermatologist?

MemberMember
(@heinstar)

Posted : 02/06/2015 2:30 am

So I was originally prescribed 20mg Accutane by my dermatologist in December. But I stopped after 5 days due to it causing depression, fatigue and feeling of unwell. But Ive decided to try accutane again and I want to take it as soon as possible.
It would take at least 2 - 3 weeks to see a dermatologist and Id have to wait another 3 days for me to get accutane from mail order. And they're only open mon - sat so I won't be able to call them to make an appointment until monday.
I still have the accutane pills that I havent finished. Im currently on 100mg doxycycline but I didnt take any today.
Do you think it's okay and safe if I start taking accutane from tomorrow and stop taking doxycycline while Im waiting for the appointment with the dermatologist? I've already taken the blood test twice from the last time I was taking accutane.
MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 02/06/2015 10:02 am

No you shouldnt take Accutane without being under the supervision of a doctor. If anything I would call and tell them your situation and see what they recommend. And you definitely shouldnt order it online and take it.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 02/06/2015 1:16 pm

You should never make any med changes without first consulting your doctor, especially when dealing with a powerful drug like Accutane. Sucks you have to wait until Monday but better to be safe than sorry...speak to your derm before you do anything! Leave a message for your derm with the receptionist or automated message service to have the derm call you and explain why. Most doctors are good about calling their patients back within 2 business days. Depending on your conversation, the derm may even decide to write you a script for you to pick up without the appointment, since they prescribed it before, who knows. Give them a call!

Good luck! :)