Notifications
Clear all

Is It Normal To Be Obsessed?

MemberMember
(@nydude)

Posted : 02/05/2015 6:03 pm

Is it normal for a middle aged man to get obsessed with the flaws in his skin? I'm talking aging, sagging, eye bags and the horrible acne rolling scars. :(

MemberMember
(@veronikavanquish)

Posted : 02/12/2015 1:56 am

Did you just start 'getting obsessed' all of a sudden? Or have you been zoning in on facial imperfections as long as you've had them?

Also, what exactly do you mean? Do you just think about it when you see it? Or do you find yourself having a hard time not thinking about them every hour of every day? Or..? I guess I'm just asking for more details haha.

MemberMember
(@nydude)

Posted : 02/12/2015 5:21 am

Did you just start 'getting obsessed' all of a sudden? Or have you been zoning in on facial imperfections as long as you've had them?

Also, what exactly do you mean? Do you just think about it when you see it? Or do you find yourself having a hard time not thinking about them every hour of every day? Or..? I guess I'm just asking for more details haha.

My obession goes back to the 1970s before many of the scars appeared. Sometimes I don't worry about them anymore. But when I see them I obsess.

MemberMember
(@ronaldocr7)

Posted : 02/12/2015 10:14 am

When you have a bad day does it affect your lifestyle i.e staying indoors, isolating yourself, pulling sickies from work, constant mirror checking, face picking? If so you may be suffering from body dysmorphic disorder, this usually stems from depression and can make you see things on your face that aren't there or are practically non existent, it works in the same way as someone with anorexia who would see themselves as fat when they are not. It is a mental health disorder and therefore needs professionals to give the help needed, this is generally in the form of CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) or certain anti-depressants. The CBT will try and change your obsessive behaviours and break the bad habits you have picked up. I was diagnosed with acne dysmorphic disorder years ago and have tried most routes, despite my attitude and feelings improving tenfold since my teenage years I imagine the condition will be something I will live with for the rest of my life, my advice would be to keep active, exercise, go to work and put yourself in situations you may not be comfortable with if your having a bad day, the worst thing you can do is sit indoors and isolate yourself making yourself more and more depressed.

MemberMember
(@veronikavanquish)

Posted : 02/12/2015 2:21 pm

When you have a bad day does it affect your lifestyle i.e staying indoors, isolating yourself, pulling sickies from work, constant mirror checking, face picking? If so you may be suffering from body dysmorphic disorder, this usually stems from depression and can make you see things on your face that aren't there or are practically non existent, it works in the same way as someone with anorexia who would see themselves as fat when they are not. It is a mental health disorder and therefore needs professionals to give the help needed, this is generally in the form of CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) or certain anti-depressants. The CBT will try and change your obsessive behaviours and break the bad habits you have picked up. I was diagnosed with acne dysmorphic disorder years ago and have tried most routes, despite my attitude and feelings improving tenfold since my teenage years I imagine the condition will be something I will live with for the rest of my life, my advice would be to keep active, exercise, go to work and put yourself in situations you may not be comfortable with if your having a bad day, the worst thing you can do is sit indoors and isolate yourself making yourself more and more depressed.

Interesting about the body dysmorphic disorder, I've never considered that side of it. Not to make this post about me here, but I fit the description you just made. So thank you for shedding some light!

Another potential side if you were to zone in on the skin picking, could be if you are face picking to make yourself feel better, or in control of your situation momentarily when you have none otherwise. Then it could be considered a mild form of obsessive complsive disorder.

My obession goes back to the 1970s before many of the scars appeared. Sometimes I don't worry about them anymore. But when I see them I obsess.

Either way, I''m thinking if you feel the need to ask if it's normal that you think about it so often, and it's been going on for decades..it's safe to say it is most likely not normal and seeing the right proffessional could offer you some peace.

MemberMember
(@ronaldocr7)

Posted : 02/12/2015 2:52 pm

Hi Veronika, if you google acne dysmorphia you can get quite a lot of information about it, to be honest I think a lot if the info is linked to this site. You are also spot on with the OCD reference, acne dysmorphia sufferers (including myself at my worst) would check the mirror potentially 100's of times in a day to check for imperfections, picking at anything that so much as hinted at being a pimple, personally my skin could seem different (generally worse) from one look in the mirror to the next even though only 5 minutes had passed and nothing had obviously changed. Again this would be something that CBT would try to help you with, things like checking the mirror become comforting habits and the therapy will try to snap you out of it, as I said in my previous post going to work, keeping busy etc also helps as it can break the cycle or at least reduce it.

MemberMember
(@nydude)

Posted : 02/15/2015 2:32 pm

Good responses. I considered I might have that condition until I learned others see my skin imperfections too.

MemberMember
(@kitteechaosyahoo-com)

Posted : 02/16/2015 5:50 pm

Not sure if it's normal, but I obsess, too. What helps me is avoidng the mirror. I feel like my skin looks like shit these days, so what's the point of getting an inch away from the mirror and scrutinizing everything anymore. Just don't look more often than necessary. It really helps bring my anxiety level down when I get stressed about my skin. It was hard at first for me because I have a bad habit of wanting to look at myself everytime I got to the bathroom and then I get depressed. I pee in the dark now, lol.

MemberMember
(@mandarine)

Posted : 02/17/2015 2:38 pm

Not sure if it's normal, but I obsess, too. [...] I pee in the dark.

Haha, I thought I was the only person doing that!

Don't feel alone, we're on the same boat, honey.

And, by the way, mirrors are not the enemy, you just have to take distance: you will see, you will fall in love with your yourself at a meter away!

MemberMember
(@kitteechaosyahoo-com)

Posted : 02/20/2015 7:40 pm

Not sure if it's normal, but I obsess, too. [...] I pee in the dark.

Haha, I thought I was the only person doing that!Don't feel alone, we're on the same boat, honey.And, by the way, mirrors are not the enemy, you just have to take distance: you will see, you will fall in love with your yourself at a meter away!

Glad to know I am not alone in peeing in the dark xD

True, I like my face better when I look at a distance :-) Then I look closer and its like a horror movie. Lmao. Big pores, clogged pores, and red marks galore. I can't have anymore kids, pregnancy and hormones destroyed my face! Sigh!