Notifications
Clear all

Hesitant About Trying Tretinoin 0.1 Cream

MemberMember
(@ronaldreagan84)

Posted : 02/05/2015 5:50 pm

Hey everyone, first time posting on here. Let me get right down to it. I've had really good skin on my face EXCEPT for my forehead. Its literally the only spot that I get consistent cystic acne! My chin may get a pimple or two a month, but those are so small anyways. I've attached some pictures of what my forehead currently looks like. It's getting pretty bad in my opinion.

My dermatologist prescribed me Tretinoin 0.1 cream, benzaclin, and doxycycline. I was originally on Minocycline and differin. That seemed to work but now I feel as though the Differin stopped working on my skin, and my doctor wanted me to wean off the mino, just to give my freaking liver and stomach a break haha.

However, I am now hesitant to start using my tretinoin cream. I've been using the benzaclin in the mornings, along with differin at night. Going to school up North, my skin gets really dry but it also gets oily after a workout or whatever. My question is, if I go on tretinoin, should I go on Doxycycline with it to help with any initial breakout?

Also, if I've been using Differin for so long, would I even get an initial breakout with the tretinoin? And what about my cleanser? I'm using Neutrogena oil free acne wash in the mornings, but I feel like that would be waaaay too harsh on my skin if I started Tretinoin? And what would be the best cleanser for tretinoin? Cetaphil?

In conclusion, I don't know if this acne on my forehead is related to a growth spurt (19 but I'm definitely still growing)? Or it could be stress (I had to stay up till 3 am last Saturday and then had a lot of stress after that).

To summarize: Current Routine

Morning: Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash, Benzaclin

Night: Wash with water, Differin

Any commentary would be much appreciated! I've got Valentine's Day with my girl and I want to look better!

post-449137-0-13184200-1423176586.jpg

MemberMember
(@noche)

Posted : 02/05/2015 11:41 pm

Ok, if you have used differin and stopped working , even with the antibiotic help, then tretinoin is just a little bit stronger than differin.

The Neutrogena wash, does it have salicylic acid?

I think you are not supposed to do anything that exfoliates the skin, since the differin gel or the tretinoin is supposed to do that .

Have you considered ziana = retin a plus clindamycin antibiotic , if you don't have any colon problems, ziana is ok .

You will only be using a mild cleanser ,purpose face wash cleanser,day and night and the ziana at night only.

Maybe you only need that , and go easy on dairy products and sugars if possible.

Like you say ,I think the acne is mostly hormonal changes .

My son used differin plus solodyn antibiotic.

My daughter ziana.

Take care.

MemberMember
(@ronaldreagan84)

Posted : 02/23/2015 10:36 am

Thank you! I'm hoping more people can chime in on this as well!

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 02/23/2015 11:50 am

Sorry skipped it but have u tried bp2.5

That worked better than any rx treatment

I used .25 cream than bumped .5 wno trouble

My skin oily thick didnt even pwel

everyine react so differently

hard to say

Gl

kim

MemberMember
(@ronaldreagan84)

Posted : 02/24/2015 8:23 am

Haven't tried that, but the Benzaclin does have Benzoyl Peroxide.

Also, do ya'll think I would get an initial breakout if I switched to Tretinoin cream 0.1? Differin and Tretinoin are both retinols so would I get an initial breakout from switching?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@ronaldreagan84)

Posted : 02/27/2015 1:35 pm

Bump. Would love to hear more opinions on this! Thanks!

MemberMember
(@justincpht)

Posted : 03/06/2015 2:40 pm

First, you need to wash your face morning and night with a gentle oil-free water-soluble cleanser. Acne.org's is good, also try Paula's Choice CLEAR Pore Normalizing Cleanser (its what I personally use). You should also consider adding Salicylic Acid to your skin care regimen (again I would recommend the one from Paula's Choice CLEAR line, go for the extra strength). You also need to use a good moisturizer for oily/blemish prone skin. Acne.org's is good and also Paula's Choice has a large selection of different moisturizers. I personally use the RESIST Anti-Aging Clear Skin Hydrator for night and CeraVe morning facial lotion with SPF 30 in the mornings. Paula's Choice CLEAR 2.5% BP has also worked miracles for me.

Using a moisturizer with help with irritation. And you absolutely need to wash your face at night because your skin produces oil all day which cause acne. Your skin does most of its repairing over night.

As far as using the 0.1% cream, I say go for it! Stat maybe 2 or 3 nights a week, and increase as your skin can tolerate it. You need to use SPF in the day though because this will make your skin more sensitive to sunlight and make your acne worse.

MemberMember
(@ronaldreagan84)

Posted : 04/15/2015 11:06 am

Bump. Any more opinions? Its been two months since this post and I still haven't tried it, mainly because my acne is calming down. The only thing that's left however is the red marks. Does Tretinoin 0.1 help fade these red marks?

Thanks again!