Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
evan3037

Parnets wont let me get accutane

i have really bad painfull cystic and regular acne on my back much of which is causing scarring. i also have acne of my face

ive had it since 7th grade and been on retin-a, differn, 7 antibiotics, breovoxyl wash, and clyndamicyn

my parents wont let me get accutane

ive been askign fro 2 years, my moms friends son went on it with great results, and told my mom shed let her other son get it if he needed it

my parents said, get on honor roll in school (all As and Bs) and theyll let me

i cant even cocentrate on school because im in a constant depression because of my acne. I try hard in school and am on honor roll except 1 class, im always so depressed over my acne. i wont take my shirt off anywhere and i always try to hide

they wont let me get accutane and i need it and i would do anything to get it.

please give me any suggestions on getting them to let me take it

Hi,

I can certainly relate to this post. I had to wait until I was 23 and on my own health insurance! Even then they weren't happy but they couldn't do anything about it...hopefully you won't have to wait that long!

For my parents what convinced them the most was letting them know about the scarring and how permanent it can be. Other than that, I just kept telling them how many people have taken this drug without any problems.

Good luck and I hope you convince them, you shouldn't have to suffer confused.gif

Nobody seems to know what this situation is like until they've experienced it. I know your parents would let you go on it if they knew what you were going through. I think their reasoning is stupid. I mean, the honour roll, wtf? I thought maybe they were concerned about the possible extreme side effects which is what their main concern SHOULD be. Explain to them that it is almost impossible for you to do as they ask because you can't concentrate on very much with your skin issues bothering you so much. Try and tell them what its like for you. I know its hard but if you promise to be careful while on the drug and to do exactly as your doctor tells you to, maybe they will let you. If they do and it works, maintain the good grades just so you're both happy. =P

Do they not want you on it because of finacial reasons or because of the side effects.

Tell her that you will be under close watch of a dermatologist and you could go like every other week to see him. And tell her that the scarring will leave permanent marks.

If that doesnt work, just start crying about how a kid made fun of you and make a bunch of bull crap up...moms always fall for that emotional stuff

I know how you feel, it took me a couple years just to convince my mom to let me see a dermatologist! And now that I am on Accutane, my parents both have that "disapproving" kind of attitude about it. I really think it's because people who have never had bad acne do not understand.

If it's a financial issue, that's a little different for me and I'm not sure how to approach that one, but if it's a side-effects thing, what helped me was giving my parents examples of several people I knew who had been on Accutane and are totally fine, not to mention have perfect skin.

It also helped that for the 6 months prior, my acne got worse and I made a fact of being more vocal about how bad I felt in front of both my parents. I told them when I was sad, frustrated, pissed off because of my skin, and I even cried a few times in front of my mom about it. I think she finally got the clue that it was really bothering me and that I was really self-conscious about it.

rebel against them and don't go to school till they get u it and tell them how much u will do better with accutane.

I agree with Elsa that by showing them the gallery and the various posts regarding our progress on Accutane would be the best solution. In addition, show them pictures of people who have suffered from scarring because they couldn't find the right treatment before their acne got out of control.

To expect you to be on honor roll before they will allow you to take Accutane is terrible. The amount of stress that they are going to put you under could very well make your acne worse and emotional state not much better.

The entire thing infuriates me because I believe that Accutane has done wonders for so many people and there is no reason why you should not be given that opportunity.

Good luck. Give 'em hell and let us know what happens. evil.gif

its not a financial issue, all prescriptions are only 10$ for every time u get them filled with health insurance

ive showed them progress pics and many peoples accutane journals

and ive cried in front of them

they jsut dont understand how horrible it is and i dont know how to make them get it

its not a financial issue, all prescriptions are only 10$ for every time u get them filled with health insurance

ive showed them progress pics and many peoples accutane journals

and ive cried in front of them

they jsut dont understand how horrible it is and i dont know how to make them get it

Guest Craigems

I know this is probably an obvious question / answer, but have you showed your parents your body?

I resisted showing anyone my body for about 4 months and for that reason i was an idiot. Had i shown my mum sooner i would have been on RoAccutane sooner but i was too stubburn and now look where its left me, Probably have scars on my chest and back for the rest of my life now. But i mean at least I'm on Accutane now and i know it will cure me!

Tell your parents "do you want me disfigured for the rest of my life because of all this, How do you expect me to get on the honours roll if i can bearly concentrate as it is because of my Acne!", and always fall back on well ur going the right way to making me a hermit smile.gif

Some parents just dont realise how serious it is. My dad refused to put me on this drug, but in the end my GP convinced him otherwise. I dont say my dad was being bad or anything he was trying to look out for me and my safety but i mean as a result i am going to have some bad scarring because of it and he wishes now he didnt hold me back earlier.

Goodluck i hope ur parents see the serious side to this rather than "You'll grow out of it", or "Make the Honours roll and we may consider it". I cant believe they can stoop soo low, its very sad on their behalf i'm sorry.

My parents have done that too. They got so desperate for ways to get my grades up they told me that if i got my grades up theyd get me my new acne meds. But they were never very strict with it because theyd say that and then a day later theyd go to the pharmacy =P. My suggestion is that you tell them part of the reason your grades are suffering is your so self conscience about your acne you find it hard to concentrate on anything else. If they don't buy that / don't think its a good enough reason (even though its the truth) then I suggest just giving into what they want. Not much you can do other then 1) touching their emotional side and making them have a little empathy for your or 2) get your grades up. I finaly got my grades up and my parents are so happy that they bought me a car and have paid lots of money for stuff like B5. Good luck parents can have a weird way of motivating their children to do what they feel is right. But in the end they are your parents and you are their child so eventualy if they see how much it means to you or how hard it is for you they'll eventualy understand and get you the med.