Notifications
Clear all

Coming Off Birth Control After 9 Years=)

MemberMember
(@whiskers-mccoy)

Posted : 02/01/2015 4:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I haven't been active on this website for a long time. I started my account on acne.org many years ago as a teen.

I started on birth control aged 18. Before then I had tried many things for my acne. Medication wise, it was a string of different antibiotics. All of which, stopped working as I became immune to their effects.

I then went onto Dianette birth control for 3 years. Was moved on Yasmin, as a lower dosed pill. I was on that for 9 years.

During that time I have researched and trialed many different topical and internal remedies for my acne, as I found that the pill did not completely clear my skin and it was not a 'cure'. It took many years for me to realise the pill was actually more than a crutch and a safety blanket that I was clinging to in the hopes it would control my skin, rather than addressing the real problem.

Every person is different. Some women may find the pill is their cure. If you have been diagnosed with PCOS(polycystic ovarian syndrome) it is actually a medication used to treat the symptoms of that condition, one symptom being acne.

For 2 years I actually had no period at all, by taking the pill continuously, I did this after speaking with a doctor. I would have horrendous periods. And this is when the acne was it's most severe. Eliminating the periods, lessened the monthly breakout acne.

To shorten this story down, I have a tendency to ramble, I recently decided to come off the pill. Doing a lot of research and life style changes over the years made me realise my diet had the biggest cause and correlation to my acne.

Again, I must stress, everyone is different, what works for some might not be the answer for others. This is an amazing website for research into what others have tried and how they have realised what is causing their acne. I owe a lot to Dan, I have met some amazing people on this site. It has literally changed my life.

Like a lot of women, I was terrified of coming off of the pill, imagining my acne would return to its full level or worse.

I decided that I wanted to test my theory and felt confident that the pill wasn't necessary for me anymore. I am in a long term relationship with a partner who is the love of my life. He understands why I no longer want to put hormones into my body if I don't to.

So, here I am. One month off Yasmin. And honestly, I feel incredible. I feel free and I am experiencing my natural hormones on a whole new level.

My skin is 100% clear.

Ok, so I know it's definitely not 'one size fits all' with acne, but I'm going to break down my daily regimen in the hopes it might help someone who was exactly like me, is scared to stop taking the pills and maybe needs the reassurance of knowing that they're going to be fine.

A lot of supplements I use are well documented on this site, Thank you acne.org for providing me with so much information over the years! If you type the names of any of these supplements into the search bar, they will come up with topics, giving you a lot more detail on their specifics than I can.

*My breakdown

I am a vitamin junkie I should add, brought up a vegetarian. Certified health nut.

*What I don't eat(and if I do I notice an acne flare up)

-Dairy

-Sugar

-Wheat

*Vitamins

-Evening Primrose oil

-Vegetarian Omega 3,6 and 9

-Seven Seas Multivitamin with probiotic

-Probiotic and prebiotic formula

-DIM(diindolylmethane)

-Taurine

-Calcium D Glucarate

-Apple Cider Vinegar

-Vitamin D3

-Saw Palmetto

-Magnesium with B vitamin complex

Morning:(always taken with food)

-Evening primrose oil x2 1000mg

-Multivitamin 1 capsule

-Vitamin D3 1 capsule

-DIM + taurine

-Probiotic and Prebiotic

-Apple cider vinegar x2

-Saw Palmetto

Evening:(always taken with food)

-Same as above except:

-Dim + Calcium D Glucarate

-Magnesium with B vitamin complex

As for dosages, I literally take what is suggested on the bottles, all of these are capsules/tablets. I can give brand names and where to purchase if that helps.

I drink a lot of water/herbal tea.

* Lemon and ginger

*Nettle

*Peppermint

*Green tea

*Camomile

*A detox tea containing: Milk thistle, liquorice, dandelion and ginger.

*I cut and squeeze a whole fresh lemon into hot water.

I eat 2 portions of fruit a day, a lot of brocolli, spinach, carrots and vegetarian protein(Quorn is a brand of egg/mushroom based meat alternatives in the UK)I eat a lot of sugar free peanut butter. I love Dark 70-90% cocoa chocolate.

I try not to eat late at night(after 9) I try and sleep 8 hours a day.

I wash my face in the evening with warm water and a face wash that contains salicylic and lactic acid.

I use an aloe vera based moisteriser or any very gentle moisteriser after that.

Then for my morning wash I use an aloe vera based toner with a cotton pad and more aloe moisteriser over that.

I don't wear foundation or concealer.

This is pretty much everything I can think of that might contribute to my skin and my overall health improvement over the years.

If anyone is interested I will keep posting here, see what happens the longer I am off the pill. It could all go to shit! Ha!

So far, I'm a month off. I am not bald or covered in scales, so I'd say it's going good so far.

Also, ladies, between you and me. My libido is definitely back in business. I don't know where it went whilst I was on the pill, but as soon as I came off it was like I woke up one morning and everything turned me on. I mean everything.

Positives I have noticed off the pill have been:

* Libido through the roof

*Eyes feel less dry(I wear contacts)

*Digestion is a lot better

Sorry this is so long. If anyone has any questions feel free to message me. xXx

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/02/2015 11:36 am

First of all congrats. I hope it continues to go well!

Did you come off the pill cold turkey?

MemberMember
(@whiskers-mccoy)

Posted : 02/02/2015 12:45 pm

First of all congrats. I hope it continues to go well!

Did you come off the pill cold turkey?

Thank you SiriBai=) I will keep posting on here as time goes on.

Yes I came off the pill when I completed my last pill packet. I toyed with the idea of doing the pill cutting and weaning off? But I wanted to test my theory that my skin condition was due to my diet(as with everything diet, hormones, lifestyle, it's all connected. One can effect all of the other variables.) I also chose not to take agnus castus/vitex when I came off, as I think from reading a lot of topics on here, people try and self diagnose a hormonal imbalance, either too much or not enough. And I think that is risky. I decided to take supplements that would clear out excess bad hormones as toxins, but not add any other artificial hormones into the mix.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 02/02/2015 10:28 pm

I hear that many women who come off birth control are clear for a few months but after about half a year that's when the bad breakouts really start?

Hopefully your diet will help manage that! I've never adjusted what I eat for my skin because food is one thing I love more than clear skin :P

MemberMember
(@whiskers-mccoy)

Posted : 02/03/2015 1:05 pm

I hear that many women who come off birth control are clear for a few months but after about half a year that's when the bad breakouts really start?

Hopefully your diet will help manage that! I've never adjusted what I eat for my skin because food is one thing I love more than clear skin

Hey DuneDain,

Haha I love food too! I've just realised that it's not worth eating something if I'm only going to enjoy it for a second and it will cause me more misery when I'm trying to get my body healthy. Yes, I've heard that as well about people being clear for a while and then a delayed shit hitting of the fan happens! I am just throwing myself in really, mainly because even with the pill, my skin was still horrendous anytime I didn't eat properly and wasn't taking vitamins. I did a lot of reading to suggest the pill can leave you deficient in a lot of things. Until I looked into that more and supplemented my health my skin was never clear. I think that's why I wanted off the pill as I knew it wasn't doing anything for my skin anyway. It was never treating the underlying cause. Fair enough if it does for some women, everyone is different.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 02/08/2015 7:54 pm

That's what happened to me the one time that I attempted to stop taking the Pill for good. Between the second and third month, my oil production kicked into the highest gear I've ever seen. And starting in month three, I began getting cysts/nodules on not only my face and jawline, but my arms, back and occasionally my legs. (Disclosure: Nodulocystic acne was my reason for going on the Pill in the first place, many years ago. Still, I'd hoped my body would adjust without any return of the dreaded deep breakouts. *sigh*)

I made it 9 months before snapping and going back on the pill, though a different brand that time. I still wonder how bad things may have continued to get--and for how long they may have stayed that way--had I not panicked and jumped back to the Pill....

PI

MemberMember
(@whiskers-mccoy)

Posted : 02/12/2015 11:18 am

That's what happened to me the one time that I attempted to stop taking the Pill for good. Between the second and third month, my oil production kicked into the highest gear I've ever seen. And starting in month three, I began getting cysts/nodules on not only my face and jawline, but my arms, back and occasionally my legs. (Disclosure: Nodulocystic acne was my reason for going on the Pill in the first place, many years ago. Still, I'd hoped my body would adjust without any return of the dreaded deep breakouts. *sigh*)

I made it 9 months before snapping and going back on the pill, though a different brand that time. I still wonder how bad things may have continued to get--and for how long they may have stayed that way--had I not panicked and jumped back to the Pill....

PI

Hi PrettyInside,

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I know how traumatic and frustrating it can feel, going off and onto different medications for your skin. I think it is synonymous with the acne community to be apprehensive when changing anything in a routine that is finally starting to work. It can feel very threatening to any success that you've worked hard to make, in clearing your skin.

I know everyone is different, so for me to suggest looking into diet and supplementation of vitamins as a way to keep your skin clear would be pretentious and arrogant in my own beliefs.

Especially as acne can be a symptom of so many different things going on in the body. Whether a hormonal imbalance, Polycystic ovarian syndrome, allergies, food intolerances, bad diet, stress, monthly cycles, etc. So, I hope things are now better for you, now you're back on the pill?

The only advice I can offer comes from my own experience.

I am 6 weeks off of the pill now, my skin is still clear.

I will keep updating as time goes on, see if anything fluctuates.

I am still taking all of the same vitamins and supplements.

I am still following the same diet.

A couple of things I've noticed after coming off the pill:

*As I previously mentioned, my libido is literally insane now. I can be at work, literally sat at my desk and I will feel turned on for no reason. I find this hiliarious, and also fantastic, as my libido prior was dying a slow death. I am making an assumption here, but I know that Yasmin birth control is designed to work as an acne and polycystic ovarian treatment because it suppress excess male hormones in the body(as does Dianette, but is considered a stronger pill and I was unable to take this long term, my doc took my off it after 2 years.) Dianette, is also given to sex offenders in prison, to inhibit and suppress their testosterone levels. Which is something my doctor told me. Hence, my thinking that the pill was infact killing my sex drive.

*I have also noticed a gradual return in my perceived levels of anxiety and mood swings. My main reason for taking the pill continuously these last few years, was that I noticed a pattern each month around my cycle. People will call it PMS, but all I know is that for 2 weeks of every month I was suicidal. I genuinely wanted to end my own life during that time. I felt insane, I felt I not in control of myself. All I can explain it as, is a feeling of complete despair. The worst part is, you have no idea why you feel this way. Wiping out the placebo break and taking my birth control pill continuously helped with this. It did not stop it happening. It would just mean that I would be sad for 1 day instead of 7.

I went through some cognitive therapy, during my time on the pill. I didn't take any anxiety medication or anti depressants. I just went to a cognitive therapy group each week. Changed my diet, took some vitamins.

Ultimately I am trying to work on a lot of issues, as a lot of people are.

I am taking herbal anxiety remedies, which I started this week. Valerian, Hops and Gentian. I am feeling a difference.

I also eat dark chocolate in small amounts daily.

Exercising more, trying to get the natural seretonin going in my body.

I want to be happy, from a natural source, if that makes sense. I don't want to NEED anything to make me feel better. I want to be in control of my emotions, my skin and my overall well being. I sound like a wannabe self help do gooder here, but this is all coming from an authentic place.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 02/12/2015 11:48 am

I think it is synonymous with the acne community to be apprehensive when changing anything in a routine that is finally starting to work. It can feel very threatening to any success that you've worked hard to make, in clearing your skin.

Yes, it is very scary, the thought of changing a thing--especially when stopping one brand of the Pill about 8-9 years ago had such a negative impact on my skin; so I'm terrified to stop my current Pill brand, which, btw, some women swear have made them suffer hair loss--either when the took it or after they stopped taking it. Oy.

Plus, I have sebaceous hyperplasia, which seems to be a permanent condition that's worsened by the skin's oil production. Just another reason I'm terrified to stop taking the Pill; I could wind up with two out-of-control skin conditions, one of which leaves permanent bumps that cost a lot to remove (and that tend to return).

I know everyone is different, so for me to suggest looking into diet and supplementation of vitamins as a way to keep your skin clear would be pretentious and arrogant in my own beliefs. Especially as acne can be a symptom of so many different things going on in the body. Whether a hormonal imbalance, Polycystic ovarian syndrome, allergies, food intolerances, bad diet, stress, monthly cycles, etc. So, I hope things are now better for you, now you're back on the pill?

I've been taking my current Pill brand for about 8 years now; things have been mostly under control. I seem to go through about a 2-to-2.5-year cycle, during which time I can eat chocolate and lightly fried foods without getting cysts. When the 2-to-2.5-year period is up, I must go about 6 months avoiding these foods. Odd, but true. (I've been through this cycle enough to know it well.)

After my experience, I remain cautious when someone says, "I'm still clear after 2 months." My thinking is: Wait until you've been off it 3-6 months to know the likely outcome. I don't mean to be a negative Nancy, but I think it really does take more time than even 6 weeks for the body's hormones to shift enough to cause an issue.

I sincerely hope that you're one of the lucky ones who does remain clear skinned. :)

As I previously mentioned, my libido is literally insane now. I can be at work, literally sat at my desk and I will feel turned on for no reason. I find this hiliarious, and also fantastic, as my libido prior was dying a slow death. I am making an assumption here, but I know that Yasmin birth control is designed to work as an acne and polycystic ovarian treatment because it suppress excess male hormones in the body(as does Dianette, but is considered a stronger pill and I was unable to take this long term, my doc took my off it after 2 years.) Dianette, is also given to sex offenders in prison, to inhibit and suppress their testosterone levels. Which is something my doctor told me. Hence, my thinking that the pill was infact killing my sex drive.

My current Pill brand has totally killed my libido to the point that I don't remember what it's like to have a sex drive. I do recall that the last time I stopped my other Pill brand, my sex drive did return a bit--and my migraines all but stopped. So either I quit the Pill and risk my face going to hell from two different skin conditions, or I find relief in feeling (sexually) human and migraine-free again. *sigh*

*I have also noticed a gradual return in my perceived levels of anxiety and mood swings. My main reason for taking the pill continuously these last few years, was that I noticed a pattern each month around my cycle. People will call it PMS, but all I know is that for 2 weeks of every month I was suicidal. I genuinely wanted to end my own life during that time. I felt insane, I felt I not in control of myself. All I can explain it as, is a feeling of complete despair. The worst part is, you have no idea why you feel this way. Wiping out the placebo break and taking my birth control pill continuously helped with this. It did not stop it happening. It would just mean that I would be sad for 1 day instead of 7.

I, too, suffer from anxiety; so stopping the Pill (again) might help me in that regard. It feels like a Catch-22, though.... :( But it's great news that stopping the Pill has stopped your suicidal thoughts. (It has stopped them, yes?)

I am taking herbal anxiety remedies, which I started this week. Valerian, Hops and Gentian. I am feeling a difference.

I want to be happy, from a natural source, if that makes sense. I don't want to NEED anything to make me feel better. I want to be in control of my emotions, my skin and my overall well being. I sound like a wannabe self help do gooder here, but this is all coming from an authentic place.

What you've written makes perfect sense and, thus, I seems completely reasonable. :) I hope that you find continued success from having stopped taking the Pill. I hope that I reach a point at which I feel safe in trying to stop it again--this time for good.

PI

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/12/2015 12:05 pm

diannette is what they use for chemical castration in sex offenders? O_O scary shit right there.

I definitely feel like Yaz has an effect on my sex drive too, but on the flip side I feel better about my skin and body than when I'm not on it, so I feel more attractive and also am not worried about babies... which is a plus.

MemberMember
(@whiskers-mccoy)

Posted : 02/13/2015 1:13 pm

I think it is synonymous with the acne community to be apprehensive when changing anything in a routine that is finally starting to work. It can feel very threatening to any success that you've worked hard to make, in clearing your skin.

Yes, it is very scary, the thought of changing a thing--especially when stopping one brand of the Pill about 8-9 years ago had such a negative impact on my skin; so I'm terrified to stop my current Pill brand, which, btw, some women swear have made them suffer hair loss--either when the took it or after they stopped taking it. Oy.

Plus, I have sebaceous hyperplasia, which seems to be a permanent condition that's worsened by the skin's oil production. Just another reason I'm terrified to stop taking the Pill; I could wind up with two out-of-control skin conditions, one of which leaves permanent bumps that cost a lot to remove (and that tend to return).

>I know everyone is different, so for me to suggest looking into diet and supplementation of vitamins as a way to keep your skin clear would be pretentious and arrogant in my own beliefs. Especially as acne can be a symptom of so many different things going on in the body. Whether a hormonal imbalance, Polycystic ovarian syndrome, allergies, food intolerances, bad diet, stress, monthly cycles, etc. So, I hope things are now better for you, now you're back on the pill?

I've been taking my current Pill brand for about 8 years now; things have been mostly under control. I seem to go through about a 2-to-2.5-year cycle, during which time I can eat chocolate and lightly fried foods without getting cysts. When the 2-to-2.5-year period is up, I must go about 6 months avoiding these foods. Odd, but true. (I've been through this cycle enough to know it well.)

After my experience, I remain cautious when someone says, "I'm still clear after 2 months." My thinking is: Wait until you've been off it 3-6 months to know the likely outcome. I don't mean to be a negative Nancy, but I think it really does take more time than even 6 weeks for the body's hormones to shift enough to cause an issue.

I sincerely hope that you're one of the lucky ones who does remain clear skinned.

As I previously mentioned, my libido is literally insane now. I can be at work, literally sat at my desk and I will feel turned on for no reason. I find this hiliarious, and also fantastic, as my libido prior was dying a slow death. I am making an assumption here, but I know that Yasmin birth control is designed to work as an acne and polycystic ovarian treatment because it suppress excess male hormones in the body(as does Dianette, but is considered a stronger pill and I was unable to take this long term, my doc took my off it after 2 years.) Dianette, is also given to sex offenders in prison, to inhibit and suppress their testosterone levels. Which is something my doctor told me. Hence, my thinking that the pill was infact killing my sex drive.

My current Pill brand has totally killed my libido to the point that I don't remember what it's like to have a sex drive. I do recall that the last time I stopped my other Pill brand, my sex drive did return a bit--and my migraines all but stopped. So either I quit the Pill and risk my face going to hell from two different skin conditions, or I find relief in feeling (sexually) human and migraine-free again. *sigh*

I, too, suffer from anxiety; so stopping the Pill (again) might help me in that regard. It feels like a Catch-22, though.... But it's great news that stopping the Pill has stopped your suicidal thoughts. (It has stopped them, yes?)

What you've written makes perfect sense and, thus, I seems completely reasonable. I hope that you find continued success from having stopped taking the Pill. I hope that I reach a point at which I feel safe in trying to stop it again--this time for good.

PI

Thank you=) I hope for you too,and all the women that are dealing with the same situation.

I completely agree PrettyInside, I am in the very very early stages of being off the pill, I am actually preparing myself for the worst, just incase shit hits the fan. I am lucky to be only dealing with one condition, I had not heard of sebaceous hyperplasia, I can imagine it is difficult to manage on it's own without throwing in temperamental hormones and acne. It sounds like you know your cycle pretty damn well. Another reason for coming off of the pill was to find out what mine was! I had a very random cycle before going onto the pill, which I know can be a sympton of Polycystic Ovary syndrome, as well as acne. I was told I could not be tested to see if I had PCOS whilst I was on the pill, and that yasmine would be a treatment for it anyway. So, I stayed on the pill and thought I would deal with it when I came off.

I am waiting for my first period. I've been told anywhere between 1-5 months to wait for it to appear. If it doesn't to go to the doctors, and there may be a problem. I am reluctant to think negatively and expect there to be a problem for two reasons. One, I was 18 when I first went onto the pill, I was a late bloomer, and I feel too young to say that my irregular cycles were unusual. I feel I didn't give my natural hormones enough time to balance themselves out. I didn't give them a chance. So now I am. Secondly, I am a positive thinker, and I've changed a lot in 10 years. Who's to say my diet, lifestyle and age haven't changed my hormonal levels completely since then.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 02/13/2015 3:21 pm

Hopefully your diet will help manage that! I've never adjusted what I eat for my skin because food is one thing I love more than clear skin

This is what happened to me. My skin was ok for a few months after stopping the pill, but then it just exploded with acne and took a long time to calm down.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 02/13/2015 5:52 pm

My skin was ok for a few months after stopping the pill, but then it just exploded with acne and took a long time to calm down.

Approximately how long your bad breakout period lasted? And did you suffer from cysts/nodules or a less severe form of this dreaded disease? Granted, breakouts of any kind are unwanted.

I already know to expect a bad reaction, since I had one the last time I stopped the Pill for 9 months. But for overall health reasons, I really should get off this cocktail of hormones but, due to my experience--and because my skin suffered scarring 2 years ago, at age 36--I'm that much more terrified to stop taking it.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 02/13/2015 10:48 pm

This is what happened to me. My skin was ok for a few months after stopping the pill, but then it just exploded with acne and took a long time to calm down.

I've been scouring the net to look for ANYONE who had acne problems before hand, went on the pill to get clear, and then STAYED clear once they went off. I've read some logs about girls who "weaned" off birth control by cutting off bits of the pill over the course of several months but I'm not sure if that's safe or what it'll do to my period.

Did you end up finding something that calmed your acne back down? :/

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 02/13/2015 11:50 pm

I've been scouring the net to look for ANYONE who had acne problems before hand, went on the pill to get clear, and then STAYED clear once they went off. I've read some logs about girls who "weaned" off birth control by cutting off bits of the pill over the course of several months but I'm not sure if that's safe or what it'll do to my period.

Did you end up finding something that calmed your acne back down? :/

Yes, I was able to get my inflamed acne under control, but I still always struggled, and continue to struggle with non-inflamed acne (blackheads and clogs). I have to keep my diet relatively clean, but I can cheat about once a week and be ok. I also had to cut out everything I was using on my face. Literally all makeup, cleansers, and moisturizers cause inflamed acne for me. The only thing I can really use on my face is an oil to cleanse and moisturize. I had to experiment with several oils before I found one that worked for me, though (watermelon seed oil).

MemberMember
(@whiskers-mccoy)

Posted : 02/27/2015 1:43 pm

HI everyone,

Just wanted to post a quick update. I've been off the pill for 7 weeks now.

Things I've noticed:

*Huge digestion improvement. No bloating, constipation or Irritable bowel symptoms that I used to experience a lot.

*Mood swings are definitely not as severe. I used to feel very out of control a week before and after my period. Essentially most of the time.

* My skin is slightly oilier, the acne is not back to how it was before going on the pill though. I have a few enlarged pores, nothing to write home about. My experience of acne from aged 14-18 was very inflamed. My face would be covered all of the time, whiteheads, nodules, very swollen and red. Annoyingly dry and oily all at the same time. The skin on my chest and back would be covered as well. Particularly around the cheeks/chin/mouth region my acne would be constant.Which lead me to believe it was dominated by hormonal imbalance, as well as general adolescence.

*My period has still not happened. I think I will give it about another 3 weeks and then speak to a doctor about that side of things. My periods were irregular before the pill, I never knew my cycle. I will have to consider my options if there is a deeper problem going on. Won't worry about that for now.

I'm still doing all of the same things as before. With two additions:

*Kalms

*Rhodiola

Both of these supplements are to help with anxiety and low mood. Before I went onto the pill and during most of my life I have battled with low self esteem, anxiety and depression. I was bullied for 5 years through high school, as well as a lot of other people I know. I have grown up a shy person because of this experience, and essentially how I let other people make me feel. I am undergoing cognitive therapy to try and reset negative thought processes and change my negative behaviour patterns. My main dream in life is to feel I am a confident person. I think one day I will get there. I am trying to get there. Anyways, I am rambling, back to the point I was trying to make with these two supplements.

My body has been in state of stress overdrive for a long time. Being an anxious person my body is oversensitive to any stressful situations I perceive, be they minor or hugely stressful. So my adrenaline and cortisol levels are out of whack, the chemicals released when you're stressed. Rhodiola will correct the level of cortisol in your body, whether there is too much or not enough. People take is a herbal alternative to western anxiety medication.

It is just something I am trying. I have a theory. I hope it works out to be right.

MemberMember
(@scarlett0)

Posted : 03/18/2015 1:50 am

Hi there! Thank you so much for your posts! I came off of Orthocept28

3 weeks ago and I've been trying to do everything I can to mitigate the side effects

I've started using the regimen at the same time and my acne has started to become severe. I researched a lot and have stopped dairy and soy and sugar as they trigger androgens

I haven't noticed much change (because it's been a week probably) but I hope it'll make a change...The only change i see is losing weight which I don't really want to (new diet, limitations in food)

i truly think my acne is hormone related so i really want to battle the cause rather than rely on BP

Do you recommend I follow your exact diet+ all the supplements? The sides of my face are the only places I have severe acne :( I can't go to school without wearing makeup which I don't want to because it may be exacerbating my acne but have to...

Thank you so much :)

ps I totally agree with you on feeling great coming off the pill!

The best thing in my opinion is that i don't have vaginal dryness anymore so sex is better! (sorry for the tmi). And whenever I do get headaches and stuff, i don't fret because I know it's my body's response and not artificial hormones doing that to me

MemberMember
(@whiskers-mccoy)

Posted : 03/22/2015 5:58 pm

Scarlett0, on 18 Mar 2015 - 06:50, said:

Hi there! Thank you so much for your posts! I came off of Orthocept28

3 weeks ago and I've been trying to do everything I can to mitigate the side effects

I've started using the regimen at the same time and my acne has started to become severe. I researched a lot and have stopped dairy and soy and sugar as they trigger androgens

I haven't noticed much change (because it's been a week probably) but I hope it'll make a change...The only change i see is losing weight which I don't really want to (new diet, limitations in food)

i truly think my acne is hormone related so i really want to battle the cause rather than rely on BP

Do you recommend I follow your exact diet+ all the supplements? The sides of my face are the only places I have severe acne :( I can't go to school without wearing makeup which I don't want to because it may be exacerbating my acne but have to...

Thank you so much :)

ps I totally agree with you on feeling great coming off the pill!

The best thing in my opinion is that i don't have vaginal dryness anymore so sex is better! (sorry for the tmi). And whenever I do get headaches and stuff, i don't fret because I know it's my body's response and not artificial hormones doing that to me

Hey Scarlett,

I'm sorry to hear you're having some acne flare up as you've come off birth control. You sound like you're doing everything you possibly can to help the situation, I know how frustrating it is! And no that is not TMI at all, sharing is caring haha. It's nice to hear other female experiences and what happened for their bodies when they were off the artificial hormones. And yes, about the headaches, it's good to know it's not the chemicals right? And not because of a side effect.

So you said you're mainly getting acne on the sides of your face? Like the cheeks? Or around the hairline, temples? I only ask because I read a little about face mapping. I don't know if you've heard of chinese meridian charts? These 'face maps' correlate areas of your face to areas in your body. I've attached a picture I found on google, probably the clearest representation I could find. According to the theory behind face mapping, acne in certain areas of your face relates to where the problem is in your body. My acne at it's worst was like a beard. Chin, lower cheeks, around the mouth. But again this is just a theory and something I've read a bit about, I don't know if there is any science behind it.

post-38202-0-01879900-1427062781.png

By the sounds of your diet, it's very clean living and healthy! Are there any alternatives you can replace dairy and soy with? I am concerned about you losing weight cutting out foods. In the UK we have a lot more choice( I apologise if you're British and I'm telling you what you already know!) for vegetarian and vegan diets now. There is brand in all supermarkets called Quorn, a mushroom/egg based protein product. You can buy Quorn sausages, burgers, etc. Protein is important. One thing I could suggest is getting a blood test for food allergies. For years I was self diagnosing myself as allergic to many things because of my acne. I was a vegan, always ill, 7 stone, tired all the time. Scared to eat anything. My blood test was clear, I don't have food allergies/intolerances.

I think you know your own body and everyone is different. Try cutting out just dairy for a week, see how it effects you. If nothing alters, next week try cutting out a different food. Tedious, but it might save you cutting out everything and not being sure what is safe to eat!

When I eat anything with sugar or dairy, 1-3 days later I will get acne. But that is just me. I found that out by trial and error.

As far as supplements go, I know they can be really expensive and people will say it is better to get nutrients from a balanced diet, but I seriously believe in their benefits and I can testify that they have worked for me. A metaphor that springs to mind for the way I see it is; a balanced nutritious diet is like the Millenium Falcon in Star Wars, and Han Solo is the supplements. They work as a team. Han solo can't fly without his ship, so how can we expect to just 'pop pills' and see results if we don't have a healthy body to put the pills into in the first place?

The supplements I would say to try if have the money(and god knows they can be expensive the amount I take!):

* A good quality multivitamin.

*A probiotic and prebiotic formula.

*DIM

*Calcium D Glucarate

*Some good fatty acids in the form of Evening primrose oil, Starflower oil/Borage Oil, Omega 3,6 and 9 or Fish oil/ Cod liver oil

*Apple cider vinegar tablets

I think these together would be an excellent base. Amazon has some reasonably priced brands. I would say these 6 have had the biggest effect on my skin and overall well being. One thing I would say in relation to face mapping and supplements, is that I reading about cause and effect lead me to the discovery that everything starts with the liver. Everything we eat, drink, ingest is filtered through the liver. The amount of toxicity in an average diet is 10 times the amount a normal liver can cope with. So what the liver cannot filter out, is excreted through our pores and digestive systems. If you have a clean liver then, it is the best start to healing your body if there are problems elsewhere.

Apple cider vinegar contains malic acid(found in grapefruit and some other citrus). Malic acid breaks down/dissolves toxins and bad fats in the liver/gall bladder. So the bile ducts are clear of blockages and your body can detox at a healthy level. Apple cider vinegar also in alkaline in effect. Your body has an alkaline ph inside, and is acidic on the outside(your skin). When we eat too many acidic foods that can upset the natural ph of your body, causing inflammation, disease, infection. If you can't afford apple cider vinegar a great natural alternative with similiar benefits is lemon juice. Lemon is alkaline by nature and will help to correct the ph of your body.

Calcium D glucarate and DIM when taken together also work by filtering the liver of toxicity. The Calcium D, breaks down excess oestrogen(the bad free radical oestrogen)that enters your body via food and the water we drink. These excess hormones in our diet can cause acne, cancer and other serious problems. A lot of food today is sadly pumped full of chemicals and hormones(dairy is a big example). The DIM works with Calcium D to flush the liver of these bad hormones.

I completely understand how you feel about not wanting to go to school without makeup, I know it can feel like you're very vulnerable and you don't feel confident without concealer. I have never been great with makeup to begin with! One thing I have used from time to time on acne and it didn't effect it was a green concealer pen. A brand, Natural Collection(in the UK)do very inexpensive fragrance free, not tested on animals stuff. Literally, there stuff is £1-£5 in price. I know a lot of makeup brands do colour corrector pens( green cancels out red, yellow cancels out purple/blue tones in skin.) I'll put a picture of this corrector pen in this post as well, I would just rub the green corrector onto my clean finger, dab and blend it over spots and then put some loose fragrance free powder over that. And it didn't give me any more acne or block my pores. It might help you to still feel like you can conceal things a bit, but not in a heavy way like foundation or concealer. When you blend it in it doesn't look green btw! It just blends the red away.

post-38202-0-64841500-1427065072.jpg

I got a message from a girl, concerned that I was using talc powder as my face powder, as she had read research to suggest talc had been linked to cancer. I am using a regular face powder now( same brand as my corrector stick, fragrance free, basic face powder). I would hate for girls to use talc, having read my post and have ill effects from it. I know it is an ingredient used in a lot of face powders? But I don't know.

I am rambling now! I hope I have helped a bit Scarlett, please feel free to message me, I am always here to chat about anything. Hope you're well, you have a lovely smile by the way! =)

MemberMember
(@whiskers-mccoy)

Posted : 03/22/2015 6:21 pm

Quick Update:

So it's now 3 months off the Yasmin. My skin is still clear, which I find hard to believe! My skin is notably oilier. I have always had oily skin, but it's definitely oilier than it was during my time on birth control.

I got my period! I honestly felt 13 again, it was the most ridiculous thing. It happened on the 4th of this month, for five days. And it was very light! No cramps! Nothing like what I experienced prior to the pill. It is sad how happy I was to see my period finally arrive haha. I literally went to the bathroom in the morning after I woke up, saw that it was there, got up and ran into where my boyfriend was shouting; 'it's here! It's finally here!'

I am special like that. And I remember having the same feeling, aged 13, thinking 'yes, I am now a woman'. And then simultaneously thinking, ' oh shit, now I have to deal with this for the rest of my life'.

Not much else to report really, I'm still doing all the same things. I lost my job on Wednesday which sucks. I wasn't happy there, but not I am left with the reality of finding paid work again. But I'm forcing myself to see all the opportunity and potential I have now.

MemberMember
(@jojox)

Posted : 07/15/2015 6:25 am

Hi ! Just wondering if you have any updates since it is now July and your last post was in March?

I quit the pill cold turkey in April and I am still clear 3 months on.

I'm on a similar diet as you and takin some of the same vitamins ..

Could you tell me if you have been taking DIM and saw palmetto together and if you've had any problems with it ?

I'm not sure if you can take I together ? I'm already taking dim and am considering adding saw palmetto for oil control .

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 07/17/2015 4:57 pm

Quick Update:

So it's now 3 months off the Yasmin. My skin is still clear, which I find hard to believe! My skin is notably oilier. I have always had oily skin, but it's definitely oilier than it was during my time on birth control.

I got my period! I honestly felt 13 again, it was the most ridiculous thing. It happened on the 4th of this month, for five days. And it was very light! No cramps! Nothing like what I experienced prior to the pill. It is sad how happy I was to see my period finally arrive haha. I literally went to the bathroom in the morning after I woke up, saw that it was there, got up and ran into where my boyfriend was shouting; 'it's here! It's finally here!'

I am special like that. And I remember having the same feeling, aged 13, thinking 'yes, I am now a woman'. And then simultaneously thinking, ' oh shit, now I have to deal with this for the rest of my life'.

Not much else to report really, I'm still doing all the same things. I lost my job on Wednesday which sucks. I wasn't happy there, but not I am left with the reality of finding paid work again. But I'm forcing myself to see all the opportunity and potential I have now.

Hi ! Just wondering if you have any updates since it is now July and your last post was in March?

Could you tell me if you have been taking DIM and saw palmetto together and if you've had any problems with it ?

I'm not sure if you can take I together ? I'm already taking dim and am considering adding saw palmetto for oil control .

Wow, I am very impressed that you have both managed to stay clear! I can totally relate to whisker's experience with getting her period for the first time after stopping birth control - I had been on BC since I was 16 years old (health reasons), my first period after stopping I was like "I am an ADULT woman now. This is my first period as an adult! HOLY CRAP!". Unfortunately for me, moderate/severe acne on the face and body soon followed that first wondrous first adult period, so 3 months later I was right back on the pill. c'est la vie!

MemberMember
(@jojox)

Posted : 07/17/2015 9:19 pm

Quick Update:

Wow, I am very impressed that you have both managed to stay clear! I can totally relate to whisker's experience with getting her period for the first time after stopping birth control - I had been on BC since I was 16 years old (health reasons), my first period after stopping I was like "I am an ADULT woman now. This is my first period as an adult! HOLY CRAP!". Unfortunately for me, moderate/severe acne on the face and body soon followed that first wondrous first adult period, so 3 months later I was right back on the pill. c'est la vie!

3 months is still pretty early on .. I've read too many stories about girls who had their post pill breakout 6-12 months later - so I am just focusing on a clean diet, supplements to help with skin health and hoping for the best . IMO oil control is essential as once the oil comes back the acne creeps back too.