Notifications
Clear all

Accutane + Excercise (Plus Sweating And Workout Diet)

MemberMember
(@paranoidindividual)

Posted : 01/27/2015 4:21 pm

Hi guys,

Long time listener, first-time caller lol. Let me get straight to the point.

I have mild to low-moderate acne. Had numerous acne treatments (antibiotics, topicals, Duac (5% BP)), many of which worked for a short period before the acne came back. Been on Accutane for just over a month now with pretty quick results (not 100% clear though!), plus minor (lucky so far!) side effects and a slight IB.

Last Summer I did the Insanity Workout which was great but resulted in me sweating gallons which - I feel (yes, no solid proof) - aggravated my acne, causing me to quit after I finished the 60 days and I haven't done any excercise since. However, with my slightly better skin, I feel confident enough to join the gym and start working out properly (i.e. doing more weights and much less cardio). BUT I'm really worried about sweating and then aggravating my acne, despite the health and aesthetic benefits that excercise obviously brings! For post-accutane ppl out there, were you able to excercise (particularly lifting weights) while on Tane and - if so - did you feel sweating caused any breakouts/ worsened acne? BTW I haven't experienced any aching joints yet but please say if yours hurt ONLY after working out.

Also, if I'm gonna be working out, I need protein and lots of it, so will be drinking unflavoured protein shakes (literally just Protein and an Instantising agent) as well as eating 100% Natural Peanut or Almond butter (yes, ingredients are 100% nuts). Do you guys think the protein shake will be okay (i.e. not cause breakouts/ more importantly, interfere with Accutane)? And, do you think the Peanut or Almond butter will be okay (i.e. not cause breakouts!), and if so, which butter would you say to go for (they're pretty much the same in terms of nutrition): Peanut or Almond?

Thanks for reading, and I'll be grateful for any advice.

:)

MemberMember
(@tfios22)

Posted : 01/27/2015 11:13 pm

Hi guys,

I have mild to low-moderate acne. Had numerous acne treatments (antibiotics, topicals, Duac (5% BP)), many of which worked for a short period before the acne came back. Been on Accutane for just over a month now with pretty quick results (not 100% clear though!), plus minor (lucky so far!) side effects and a slight IB.

Last Summer I did the Insanity Workout which was great but resulted in me sweating gallons which - I feel (yes, no solid proof) - aggravated my acne, causing me to quit after I finished the 60 days and I haven't done any excercise since. However, with my slightly better skin, I feel confident enough to join the gym and start working out properly (i.e. doing more weights and much less cardio). BUT I'm really worried about sweating and then aggravating my acne, despite the health and aesthetic benefits that excercise obviously brings! For post-accutane ppl out there, were you able to excercise (particularly lifting weights) while on Tane and - if so - did you feel sweating caused any breakouts/ worsened acne? BTW I haven't experienced any aching joints yet but please say if yours hurt ONLY after working out.

Also, if I'm gonna be working out, I need protein and lots of it, so will be drinking unflavoured protein shakes (literally just Protein and an Instantising agent) as well as eating 100% Natural Peanut or Almond butter (yes, ingredients are 100% nuts). Do you guys think the protein shake will be okay (i.e. not cause breakouts/ more importantly, interfere with Accutane)? And, do you think the Peanut or Almond butter will be okay (i.e. not cause breakouts!), and if so, which butter would you say to go for (they're pretty much the same in terms of nutrition): Peanut or Almond?

I'm on accutane right now, however, I don't lift any weights so I can't give you much feedback on joint pain, except that, Glucosamine is a supplement that really helps people with joint pain. Some bodybuilders take it and if you're worried about joint pain, make sure with your derm if you consider taking it. Just take it easy with the exercises as accutane slows down your body's ability to heal itself. As for the sweating goes, just make sure to shower/wash your face after since you don't want the sweat sitting on your skin for a long time.

I know that for some people, protein shakes containing whey protein does aggravate their acne, so you'll just have to see how it works for you. And if you have taken it in the past with no troubles, I wouldn't worry. And protein shakes don't interfere with accutane.

It is absolutely fine to eat peanut butter or almond butter while on accutane. It's actually beneficial since the fat in them helps accutane to be absorbed better (accutane is fat soluble). Whether or not they make you break out, you'll just have to see for yourself since it may or may not affect your skin.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@lovingyou11)

Posted : 01/28/2015 12:39 am

I am currently on my 2nd dose of Accutane. I compete in fitness shows and have had zero issues/pain during lifting while on the medication. It is only my 10th day on it. However, the first round I had zero issues either. I am not a big sweater regardless of what exercise I am doing but honestly I atest that to the first round of Accutane I did 9 years ago. It is true that sweat can flare up your acne but that and that alone shouldn't keep it flared up. I eat clean 90% of the time as I do believe ones diet could contribute to flare ups. I hope you are able to train while also taking care of this horrible issue! Good luck!!

Amy

MemberMember
(@paranoidindividual)

Posted : 01/28/2015 4:28 pm

Hi guys,

I'm on accutane right now, however, I don't lift any weights so I can't give you much feedback on joint pain, except that, Glucosamine is a supplement that really helps people with joint pain. Some bodybuilders take it and if you're worried about joint pain, make sure with your derm if you consider taking it. Just take it easy with the exercises as accutane slows down your body's ability to heal itself. As for the sweating goes, just make sure to shower/wash your face after since you don't want the sweat sitting on your skin for a long time.

I know that for some people, protein shakes containing whey protein does aggravate their acne, so you'll just have to see how it works for you. And if you have taken it in the past with no troubles, I wouldn't worry. And protein shakes don't interfere with accutane.

It is absolutely fine to eat peanut butter or almond butter while on accutane. It's actually beneficial since the fat in them helps accutane to be absorbed better (accutane is fat soluble). Whether or not they make you break out, you'll just have to see for yourself since it may or may not affect your skin.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

I've never taken protein shakes before, that's why I was so worried lol. The protein shake I was looking at was 82% whey protein, so I'm glad you mentioned whey protein affecting some people. I guess I'll have to look into that before I go ahead with anything.

Great, I can finally eat peanut butter again! I used to eat loads up until I was 14 (I'm 19 now), when I attributed it to causing my acne, so haven't eaten it since; it is possible it played a part in causing my acne as it was the 'processed' stuff. For me, they'd be two benefits of taking it: as a tasty bulking up food and to increase my absorption of Accutane. I totally agree, I'll just have to try it myself and see how it goes.

Good luck to you too! :)

MemberMember
(@paranoidindividual)

Posted : 01/28/2015 4:50 pm

I am currently on my 2nd dose of Accutane. I compete in fitness shows and have had zero issues/pain during lifting while on the medication. It is only my 10th day on it. However, the first round I had zero issues either. I am not a big sweater regardless of what exercise I am doing but honestly I atest that to the first round of Accutane I did 9 years ago. It is true that sweat can flare up your acne but that and that alone shouldn't keep it flared up. I eat clean 90% of the time as I do believe ones diet could contribute to flare ups. I hope you are able to train while also taking care of this horrible issue! Good luck!!

Amy

Thanks for the reply Amy!

I'm glad to hear you haven't had any pains while lifting as that's going to be my main focus in the gym. The last thing I want to do is start a membership and then quit because of joint pain!

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if my skin flared up after sweating, however, I expect Accutanes sheer 'strength' will be enough to help my skin resist any irritation caused by sweat. I totally agree with you're view on ones diet, hence why I'm so annoyed as I want to bulk up but have to be so careful with what I eat because I risk breaking out :(

Good luck with your second round on Accutane! :)