Notifications
Clear all

Can Omega Supplements Make Acne Worse?

MemberMember
(@rachel-evers)

Posted : 01/25/2015 9:17 am

Hi all.

So I was on accutane back in 2013 with great success. However, back in November I had a breakout that was a little worse than usual. I wasn't too worried because I tend to get these in a very minor form still a week or so before my time of the month. However, at the same I had been to see a doctor because I was having issues with painful periods, bad PMS etc and she recommended that if I wanted a natural solution I should try Evening Primrose Oil.

I started taking these with great success in terms of controlling my PMS symptoms, except for one thing- my acne just seemed to get worse, then look slightly better, then get worse and so on and so on. I had read a little about balancing omega 3 and 6 and thought perhaps if I resumed taking my cod liver oil supplements at the same time (which I had been taking prior to all this without issues) that it might be help- but nope. At this point I was getting papules and pustules on my cheeks, which I never got even when my acne was at its worst before accutane. Usually it is heavily concentrated around my mouth and chin. The leftover marks are also taking months to heal, which I never usually experience.

I then decided to try borage oil instead, so I went ahead and bought an omega 3-6-9 supplement containing Fish oil, borage/starflower oil and flax. So far I keep thinking my skin looks slightly better one day and then suddenly I'll get these really angy red blemished forming all over again. So, basically I'm wondering if is due to these omega screwing everything up? Should I stop them completely?

MemberMember
(@mesarita)

Posted : 09/30/2016 11:05 pm

I've had acne for 47 years... I read that 1,000 mg of Omega 3 daily would help. Within 2 weeks of taking it I broke out with the worst case of cystic acne I've had in years. I discontinued it but it took 2 weeks for the cysts to stop appearing. Now, 4 weeks later my skin is healing and the breakouts seem to have stopped. I've been thinking about adding Green Tea capsules and L-Lysine but I'm a little skittish now. Maybe I should stick with my daily multivitamin, EmergenC and Probiotic and just live with my occasional acne breakouts! Ugh.