Notifications
Clear all

Week 5 Accutane Oily Again?

MemberMember
(@staystrong88)

Posted : 01/24/2015 8:40 pm

I am on week 5 of my 5 month course of accutane. 40mg a day. Im a male 219lbs.

the first month, i was taking Amnesteem and within two weeks i had dry lips and dry face with no oil at all. I loved the dry face because i know there was no oil to produce new acne and i was flaky.

Month two comes and i picked up my prescription, and this time they gave me Absorica 40mg once a day.

Ever since starting Absorica, I have slight oily t-zone. Never has this at all with Amnesteem in my first month. Im on day 6 of the Absorica.

I take all my accutane with high fat meal all the time.

Whats up with the oily skin again? Is it Absorica brand? It might be too early to tell but im thinking amnesteem is better.

My side effects so far are dry lips, DID have a very dry face but not anymore, i have left jaw joint pain. Thats it.

Do i need higher dosage? Or back to amnesteem?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/24/2015 8:44 pm

I think this is normal to have fluctuations in the beginning. I'm experiencing the same thing right now.

MemberMember
(@staystrong88)

Posted : 01/24/2015 8:56 pm

I think this is normal to have fluctuations in the beginning. I'm experiencing the same thing right now.

What brand are you taking?

Also whats your dosage

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/24/2015 9:51 pm

What brand are you taking?

Also whats your dosage

Zenatane 40mg. I took amnesteem and claravis during my last course.

MemberMember
(@legomom)

Posted : 01/25/2015 12:57 am

Yes, very normal. Accutane starts shutting down the oil glands, but then you get a hormone fluctuation or something and you get oily for a few days. Then it gets even drier.

Mine went back and forth for a while.

Hang in there. All part of the process.

MemberMember
(@otsdarva)

Posted : 01/25/2015 1:34 am

Personally I would ask your derm about bumping you up above 40mg since it seems kinda low relative to your weight although I'm sure they plan to bump it up gradually.

MemberMember
(@legomom)

Posted : 01/25/2015 5:06 pm

The European method of dosing Accutane is gaining in popularity with US dermatologists. It's the low and slow method. Same end results, but an option for patients who want a less intense experience, or as my derm puts it, a more luxurious treatment. ;)