Notifications
Clear all

Coming Off Dianette

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 01/24/2015 5:42 am

Hey there,

Been on Dianette for 6 months now. Only in the past month or two has it really cleared my skin, so i'm really happy with it. However, after my Doctors appointment yesterday he said i must come off the pill after the next 3 month package, taking me to 9 months. However this is just before my holidays so i'd really like to stay on it just another 2 months to take me to 11 months? Is this too long? Has anyone been on Dianette for ages?

Before Dianette I was on Yasmin, which I had clear skin on for around a year. After a year or 18 months (can't remember exactly) my acne just got AWFUL. Was very random. So the docs and myself are thinking of switching back to the Yasmin.

Has anyone come off Dianette successfully? Has anyone gone from Dianette to another pill and which one, or particularly on to Yasmin? Any suggestions at all for me in coming of Dianette successfully or anything relevant

Any replies would be so greatly appreciated!!! Thanks so much

MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 01/24/2015 6:15 am

I was on dianette for about 15 months, I was worried about comming off it too, are you in the UK? I think each doctor is different, one of my docs was happy for me to stay on it but the other preferred me to switch. I'm sure they wont mind you staying on for a couple months longer for your holiday if you explain the situation. I was switched on to cilest about six months ago and so far so good, haven't noticed much of a difference from dianette and my skin is still clear. I've never tried yasmin but maybe your breakout was due to other factors such as stress or skincare. I think either yasmin or cilest are probably the best ones to switch to after dianette, others like loestrin and mycrogynon and progestogen only pills and will make your acne flare up, so its best to stick to combined pills which have progestogen and oestrogen.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 01/24/2015 10:12 am

I've been on Diane for a year and a half now. The doctor who prescribes it to me thinks its ok to stay on, but from what I understand a lot of doctors are against staying Diane for long because of risk of blood clots.

I am interested to see how your coming off experience will be like as I've been thinking about it too. I was on Yasmin when I was 17 and I don't recall it being a bad experience but I wonder if switching will cause an initial breakout?

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 01/26/2015 3:15 pm

I was on dianette for about 15 months, I was worried about comming off it too, are you in the UK? I think each doctor is different, one of my docs was happy for me to stay on it but the other preferred me to switch. I'm sure they wont mind you staying on for a couple months longer for your holiday if you explain the situation. I was switched on to cilest about six months ago and so far so good, haven't noticed much of a difference from dianette and my skin is still clear. I've never tried yasmin but maybe your breakout was due to other factors such as stress or skincare. I think either yasmin or cilest are probably the best ones to switch to after dianette, others like loestrin and mycrogynon and progestogen only pills and will make your acne flare up, so its best to stick to combined pills which have progestogen and oestrogen.

Yeah I'm hoping so- really don't want the change just before I go on holiday with my boyfriend! How long was it till you never ever got spots? Don't get my wrong, my skin is now good on Dianette after 6 months and i'm super happy but i still get the occasional breakout which i'd love not to have.

Oh really? Maybe I should look into Cilest then! I'm definitely between Cilest or Yasmin. I just really want to make the right decision! Did your doctor suggest Cilest? or did you?

Yeah, very true maybe. My skincare regime was always very good, I'm very religious with it always taking my make up off properly. And when it was breaking out awfully for 7 months I was using great skincare and not wearing make up. So it couldn't have been that :(

Thanks so much for your advice! Really appreciate it :)

I've been on Diane for a year and a half now. The doctor who prescribes it to me thinks its ok to stay on, but from what I understand a lot of doctors are against staying Diane for long because of risk of blood clots.

I am interested to see how your coming off experience will be like as I've been thinking about it too. I was on Yasmin when I was 17 and I don't recall it being a bad experience but I wonder if switching will cause an initial breakout?

Ah- you're lucky your docs are okay for you to stay on! I do think about my health though of course with the long term effects.

I'm not coming off for a few more months, and may even ask the docs to extend it to the end of June after my holiday. Yeah me too! Yasmin was so so so amazing for me for a year / 18 months. Skin was great and cleared up my acne completely. Why did you come off the Yasmin? Did you go from the yasmin to the dianette due to breaking out?

MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 01/26/2015 3:23 pm

No problem I know how scary it is thinking about coming off it. I think it took me about 6-9 months for the breakouts to totally stop but I was also using a topical retinoid called differin which I think really helped, I still use it along with a salicylic acid serum, I use either one or the other a few times a week but at first I was applying differin every night. I have been breakout free ever since, I can't comment for everyone, but cilest has been great for me after dianett. I would ask your go to keep you on dianette for another few months until your break outs settle down. My skin flared up after I had been off the pill for a year I think sometimes our hormones just screw upband the pill helps get things back on track.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 01/26/2015 4:26 pm

I went off Yasmin because at the time I thought it was giving me rashes and other side effects. I never got it checked out though I just stopped on my own. I went on Diane because I started off with Alesse which gave me a terrible break out.

I don't remember there being much of a post break out either but I think I was only on it for half a year? I just wonder if switching from Diane to Yasmin will cause a break out?

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 01/28/2015 6:46 am

No problem I know how scary it is thinking about coming off it. I think it took me about 6-9 months for the breakouts to totally stop but I was also using a topical retinoid called differin which I think really helped, I still use it along with a salicylic acid serum, I use either one or the other a few times a week but at first I was applying differin every night. I have been breakout free ever since, I can't comment for everyone, but cilest has been great for me after dianett. I would ask your go to keep you on dianette for another few months until your break outs settle down. My skin flared up after I had been off the pill for a year I think sometimes our hormones just screw upband the pill helps get things back on track.

So scary! I feel like i've literally only just started to get my life back and the thought of going through that all over again by coming off it is awful! I definitely would like it for the full year.

Ah yeah- i was prescibed differin. I have differin and duac in my fridge, but i just use duac when i get a spot come up to get it to go back down. Did differing cause an initial breakout? I never really followed through differin because i heard so many horror stories that it makes you break out loads! However, i was using Zineryt topical at this time so i didn't want to use too much.

Oh you came completely off the pill at one point and thats why you broke out? I'm so unsure wether to go back onto Yasmin or onto Cilest, although my skin was bad on Yasmin towards the end it was flawless for the first 18 months, so if that happened again it would be amazing? But really not sure which of the two it'll be! My body could love it like it did at first, or hate it like it did at the end.

again, thanks so so much for your help and advice really appreciate it

I went off Yasmin because at the time I thought it was giving me rashes and other side effects. I never got it checked out though I just stopped on my own. I went on Diane because I started off with Alesse which gave me a terrible break out.

I don't remember there being much of a post break out either but I think I was only on it for half a year? I just wonder if switching from Diane to Yasmin will cause a break out?

Oh okay- how long was it you were on it for? and was your skin good on yasmin? Was it bad before and yasmin cleared it?

Yeah thats what I'm wondering :( but i'm not really sure what else i can do? i have to switch off dianette at some point

Thanks so much for your help and advice, really appreciate it :)

MemberMember
(@nicksi)

Posted : 01/30/2015 11:26 am

I'm 30 and I started dianette at 15 and I took it for the next 6/7years without a break!! My doctor never said a think until at 22/23 I was switched to yasmin which controlled my and till I had my babies. My son is nearly 2 now and I have terrible acne. Got an appt to see my gp tomoz and I'm asking for dianette ive tried everything I can think of. I've had clear skin for the past 18 months then in December BANG!! Acne was back with a vengeance after like 15 years. I don't understand how this can happen??

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 02/02/2015 4:25 pm

I'm 30 and I started dianette at 15 and I took it for the next 6/7years without a break!! My doctor never said a think until at 22/23 I was switched to yasmin which controlled my and till I had my babies. My son is nearly 2 now and I have terrible acne. Got an appt to see my gp tomoz and I'm asking for dianette ive tried everything I can think of. I've had clear skin for the past 18 months then in December BANG!! Acne was back with a vengeance after like 15 years. I don't understand how this can happen??

Oh no way- thats so disappointing! Especially when you get used to having your skin sorted and then it all comes back, it seems like the longest journey to get it back to good! :( But how was your doctors appointment?!

When you came of Dianette and onto Yasmin your skin stayed good then?! Ah thats encouraging! :) I think i'd like to stay on it for the full year, to get me through summer and let my skin fully settle. Its probably 90% there now which i'm so happy with of course

Thanks for your comment :)

MemberMember
(@nicksi)

Posted : 02/02/2015 5:01 pm

Hi sksk yep I had no problems at all switching from dianette to yasmin and up until now I could actually leave the house without loads of make up which was great. I would try and get another script and keep takin dianette through the summer if it's going to make u feel better a few more months won't hurt. I know they say dianette is so risky but if u actually look into the risks it ain't that bad. For every 100,000 people who take it 50 will have a blood clot. The risk with yasmin is 25 per 100,000. To be honest I'd take this risk over the unhappiness acne causes any day. I'm glad Dianette has worked for u im sure yasmin will work well for u too. I got a script for dianette btw :) the plan is take it until my skin is better then back to Yasmin. Got 10 days till I'm supposed to start it. My problem is hyper pigmentation at the moment ...touch wood I don't actually have active spots at the moment. My skin went mental and every spot left a red mark no matter how small it was now I'm left with the aftermath.

MemberMember
(@clearskinjourney)

Posted : 02/03/2015 3:22 pm

Hi sksk yep I had no problems at all switching from dianette to yasmin and up until now I could actually leave the house without loads of make up which was great. I would try and get another script and keep takin dianette through the summer if it's going to make u feel better a few more months won't hurt. I know they say dianette is so risky but if u actually look into the risks it ain't that bad. For every 100,000 people who take it 50 will have a blood clot. The risk with yasmin is 25 per 100,000. To be honest I'd take this risk over the unhappiness acne causes any day. I'm glad Dianette has worked for u im sure yasmin will work well for u too. I got a script for dianette btw the plan is take it until my skin is better then back to Yasmin. Got 10 days till I'm supposed to start it. My problem is hyper pigmentation at the moment ...touch wood I don't actually have active spots at the moment. My skin went mental and every spot left a red mark no matter how small it was now I'm left with the aftermath.

Ah thats good- i was on yasmin for 2/3 years and i found it to be a great pill! For the first 2/ 2 and a half years, my skin wasn't even a problem. I got put on it when i was maybe 15 as i was suffering some breakouts hitting puberty and i don't remember exactly how long it took but i remember it cleared me up very nicely and my skin was great for the majority of time! I didn't even think about skin problems. Then the last 6 months I was on it i just so so so randomly started breaking out so badly! I had no clue why and it was so random! So I've been on yasmin before i'm glad to hear it was a smooth switch! Thanks so much for that

Oh no way- they're such interesting facts! Yeah i feel like i want it for the whole year, i'm sure changing will be fine but I'm going on holiday with my boyfriend in june and i just don't want to have to worry about my skin exploding just before, i'd so much rather make that change after my holiday

Thats so good you got Dianette back- i bet you're so so relieved. Especially as you know for sure it'll work for you! Have the doctors given you any sort of idea on how long it'll take to clear your skin and how long you're allowed on it for?

Also- how long did Dianette take to fully fully clear you?

Yeah, hyperpigmentation is a massive problem for me. Although researching it made me feel much better its not permanent. I'm currently using Bare Minerals Biolucent serum for dark spots and discolourations, and all mineral so won't break out you out. i've seen small changes in 3 weeks which is great. Heres a video about it- take a look!