Notifications
Clear all

How Do I Find The Root Cause?

MemberMember
(@unf_ospreys11)

Posted : 01/23/2015 12:56 am

Hey everyone,

I'm so new on here, and I'm pretty mad at myself for visiting the site a few times before but never joining.

I'm having so much trouble finding the actual cause of my acne. It seems to be everything under the sun. I thought I had an egg allergy because every time I ate anything with eggs I'd break out a few days later (or so I thought). But I haven't had eggs for weeks and that is NOT an easy thing to do...they're literally in everything... and I'm still breaking out bad. I'm thinking it could be dairy or gluten but what would I have left to eat if I remove those?

I was also on BC for PCOS last year but that had a small effect and once I got off of it my acne got much worse. So it might be hormonal?

Also I have TERRIBLE digestion so I'm sure my organs aren't helping. And I have several inflamed lymph nodes in my neck and I think I contracted lyme disease from a tick bite in China. But I had bad acne before all this so idk...

Currently, I'm applying Manuka honey on my face every morning for 20 minutes, taking olive leaf extract 3x a day, and applying external olive leaf extract 3x a day. I've noticed my acne has gotten worse since I started so I'm hoping it's a short "purge."

Anyways if any of these symptoms sound familiar please let me know. Or just mention how you found your root cause or causes or how you treated them.

I'm so desperate, but trying to stay positive. I know I'm still beautiful but it is freaking HARD to maintain my self esteem. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@tadamasa)

Posted : 01/27/2015 12:07 am

For me, instead of looking for ways to "treat" acne, I searched for people who actually cured their acne. There's a bunch of testimonials on this forum of people who are shared their cure. Other than accutane, the most common root cause for a lot of people seemed to be bad diet or vitamin deficiency related. So I pretty much went down the list, trying every cure method that people shared, hoping that one of them would share my root cause. And I kinda did, I found out that I had a zinc, vitamin D3, and omega 3 deficiency. After a few weeks my acne cleared up by 80%. I also avoid all the common acne foods such as polyunsaturated fat, dairy, etc. But I'm still trying out other people's cures in order to get 100% clear skin.

MemberMember
(@swalton)

Posted : 01/27/2015 9:00 am

I have suffered from acne spots for years and I've been on several courses of anti biotics and tried all the spot treatments etc spots always returned!! I have been on a gluten free diet for a week now and I havnt had any new outbreaks so far my skin looks glowing so I think gluten free is working for me. There are lots of alternative gluten free foods there's not much you need to miss out on.

MemberMember
(@mros12)

Posted : 02/13/2015 12:57 pm

Of course the seeing a dermatologist will probably be your best bet, but I'll share the strategy I came up with, as a fellow acne sufferer. I wondered the same thing not too long ago because I would try one "cure" at a time and could never tell if it was working or if I was just experiencing a normal fluctuation in breakouts, or if it was even the placebo effect. Because acne can be influenced by several different factors, I decided to go with a shotgun strategy: everything at once. Diet changes, lifestyle changes, supplements, vitamins, topicals, antibiotics, anything you want to try. Stick with all of them for at least a few weeks (long enough to ensure any changes in your acne aren't normal fluctuations/placebo). If your acne doesn't improve at all, you know none of your treatments are working - scrap them all. If your acne is clearing, you know at least one of your treatments is working. Quit whatever treatments you suspect are helping the least one by one until your acne starts coming back, then you've found what was working. Of course if the changes you made are relatively harmless and easy/cheap to maintain long term, there's not need to stop them. So far I've found this more efficient than the reverse strategy of trying one thing at a time, which takes much longer and is really frustrating. Good luck!

Tadamasa liked
(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/16/2015 6:06 pm

Hi beautiful. Ugh, I totally understand how frustrating and depressing dealing with acne can be. I have been on ACCUTANE TWICE and started breaking out again about a month ago, but guess what? I honestly can say that I THINK I have found my acne miracle & guess what? It is ALL NATURAL!

If you go to my blog, I talk about my long and hard journey with severe acne. I like to add this on my posts because I know sometimes people are like, well, since you are taking an all-natural supplement, you probably have VERY mild acne and that is definitely NOT the case. I have suffered from VERY SEVERE CYSTIC ACNE since I was 17 years old. There are even pictures of my scarring on one of my forum's regarding Estroblock.

Have you ever heard of Estroblock? It is an all natural supplement (you can buy on amazon) and there are SO many great reviews on how it has cleared people's acne, ME being one of them.

I could go into detail on what Estroblock is, but I like when people go and do their own research on product's because I think that it is important for people to know what exactly they are putting in their bodies, even if it is all-natural. I would suggest checking out amazon's reviews and check out "The Love Vitamin" website. Tracy goes into depth on her struggle with acne and what has cleared her skin (estroblock being one of the MAIN supplements that has cleared her acne completely.)

I started taking Estroblock 17 days ago and I currently have ONLY 2 SMALL active pimples. Which is insane, since my chin was full of acne 3 weeks ago.

If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to ask! :)

MemberMember
(@frustratedskin)

Posted : 04/13/2015 12:12 am

For me, instead of looking for ways to "treat" acne, I searched for people who actually cured their acne. There's a bunch of testimonials on this forum of people who are shared their cure. Other than accutane, the most common root cause for a lot of people seemed to be bad diet or vitamin deficiency related. So I pretty much went down the list, trying every cure method that people shared, hoping that one of them would share my root cause. And I kinda did, I found out that I had a zinc, vitamin D3, and omega 3 deficiency. After a few weeks my acne cleared up by 80%. I also avoid all the common acne foods such as polyunsaturated fat, dairy, etc. But I'm still trying out other people's cures in order to get 100% clear skin.

Hello, I'm glad to hear something worked for you, the only things that worked for me were combined antibiotics and peroxide, basically I didn't treat the cause of my acne, I just killed my skin bacteria to lessen it, but eventually the antibiotics stopped working and I got sick of spending money on BP, so it took over my body and face again. Could you say more about your findings? Are zinc, vitamin D3 and omega 3 all the supplements that helped your skin?

MemberMember
(@arts)

Posted : 04/13/2015 2:31 am

Honestly, I don't think there is such a thing as a root cause. A lot of sources point to lingering sugar in the blood as the main reason of acne. Well, they fail to mention that it can happen for a lot of reason. Everything in the body is interconnected.

I've been on gluten, dairy, sugar (I did eat fruit), caffeine free diets. I continued to break out regardless, unless I used a topical. I associate it with elevated stress levels when you're on a diet of any kind. Stress can mess up your best intentions and have your body react badly even to broccoli. And yes, low self esteem is a kind of stress, one of the worst ones, imho. It's hard to tell whether we have low self-esteem because of acne or it's the other way around.

If you're a sensitive person who worries a great deal and/or highly reactive to all sorts of stimuli, then my advice would be to first take care of your emotional health, otherwise there's a big chance nothing holistic will help you. If not, try a food elimination diet. Cut out dairy, gluten and proccessed sugary foods for a month. Replace them with vegetables and fruits. I strongly believe that if after a month you see no results whatsoever, the diet is not the problem.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 04/13/2015 10:37 am

Hi beautiful. Ugh, I totally understand how frustrating and depressing dealing with acne can be. I have been on ACCUTANE TWICE and started breaking out again about a month ago, but guess what? I honestly can say that I THINK I have found my acne miracle & guess what? It is ALL NATURAL!

If you go to my blog, I talk about my long and hard journey with severe acne. I like to add this on my posts because I know sometimes people are like, well, since you are taking an all-natural supplement, you probably have VERY mild acne and that is definitely NOT the case. I have suffered from VERY SEVERE CYSTIC ACNE since I was 17 years old. There are even pictures of my scarring on one of my forum's regarding Estroblock.

Have you ever heard of Estroblock? It is an all natural supplement (you can buy on amazon) and there are SO many great reviews on how it has cleared people's acne, ME being one of them.

I could go into detail on what Estroblock is, but I like when people go and do their own research on product's because I think that it is important for people to know what exactly they are putting in their bodies, even if it is all-natural. I would suggest checking out amazon's reviews and check out "The Love Vitamin" website. Tracy goes into depth on her struggle with acne and what has cleared her skin (estroblock being one of the MAIN supplements that has cleared her acne completely.)

I started taking Estroblock 17 days ago and I currently have ONLY 2 SMALL active pimples. Which is insane, since my chin was full of acne 3 weeks ago.

If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to ask! :)

Can you please go into a very detailed and informative explanation of what Estroblock is and how it works and why you think it helps acne? I'm very curious about this because it sounds like it does the opposite of what those of us with androgen-linked acne want.

The original poster says she has PCOS. It seems to me that if you suffer from PCOS, you maybe shouldn't take an estrogen-blocking agent, because your androgen (testosterone) levels are probably abnormally high.

MemberMember
(@tadamasa)

Posted : 04/13/2015 5:36 pm

Hello, I'm glad to hear something worked for you, the only things that worked for me were combined antibiotics and peroxide, basically I didn't treat the cause of my acne, I just killed my skin bacteria to lessen it, but eventually the antibiotics stopped working and I got sick of spending money on BP, so it took over my body and face again. Could you say more about your findings? Are zinc, vitamin D3 and omega 3 all the supplements that helped your skin?

Yes those 3 specific vitamins have changed my life, I've been mostly clear ever since. I found out about them from a site called clearskinforever, you can check out the site, they talk about all the benefits those vitamins do to prevent acne, as well as the harm of dairy and polyunsaturated fat does to your face. If you feel you are deficient on any of these vitamins, you should definitely try it out, vitamins are cheap compared to acne products. I take zinc gluconate 50mg, vitaminD3 5000IU, and Omega3 fish oil.

MemberMember
(@blackfox)

Posted : 04/15/2015 5:24 am

From my experience I am certain high glycemic foods cause my acne breakouts. Things like sweets, milk chocolate, french fries. Many foods you may not expect to be high GI are in fact high GI. Stuff like rice milk. A quick google will help you identify these foods. Basically processed and refined stuff is bad.

For a long time researchers dismissed a link between diet and acne but recently this has changed with more and more evidence supporting this.

Topical treatments will never stop acne completely unless it's really mild and I would personally stay well away from powerful drugs like accutane. Try the low GI approach it works for me.

MemberMember
(@frustratedskin)

Posted : 04/15/2015 4:43 pm

Yes those 3 specific vitamins have changed my life, I've been mostly clear ever since. I found out about them from a site called clearskinforever, you can check out the site, they talk about all the benefits those vitamins do to prevent acne, as well as the harm of dairy and polyunsaturated fat does to your face. If you feel you are deficient on any of these vitamins, you should definitely try it out, vitamins are cheap compared to acne products. I take zinc gluconate 50mg, vitaminD3 5000IU, and Omega3 fish oil.

Hello, I started zinc and vitamin D3, however it's still worsening. Weird thing is it's way worse on the body than the face. I have absolutely no idea what could be the cause, I thought the body should be even less acne prone than the face?

MemberMember
(@soulcandy)

Posted : 04/15/2015 9:35 pm

Do you think that it would be a good idea for someone suffering with acne who is unsure of the root cause to go get some blood work done and then start supplementing? I want to clean up my diet and maybe start supplementing but I know that it's dangerous without knowing what you're missing in your body... After all, you can't fill any gaps that aren't there right

MemberMember
(@frustratedskin)

Posted : 04/16/2015 6:25 pm

vitaminD3 5000IU,

I just noticed this, shouldn't this amount per day destroy your kidneys? My vit d3 is 400IU per capsule and it says maximum of 1 capsule per day. You're taking over 10 times more.

MemberMember
(@tadamasa)

Posted : 04/20/2015 11:36 am

Do you think that it would be a good idea for someone suffering with acne who is unsure of the root cause to go get some blood work done and then start supplementing? I want to clean up my diet and maybe start supplementing but I know that it's dangerous without knowing what you're missing in your body... After all, you can't fill any gaps that aren't there right

I guess it depends on how specific the blood check is. The last time my doctor took my blood for a general check up, he told me I was completely healthy teenager, so I never would've guessed I had any deficiencies.

vitaminD3 5000IU,

I just noticed this, shouldn't this amount per day destroy your kidneys? My vit d3 is 400IU per capsule and it says maximum of 1 capsule per day. You're taking over 10 times more.

I don't know if I can post links on here but If you type "clearskinforever vitamin d3" on Google, and go to their website he explains "Look for Vitamin D3 at around a 5,000 IU concentration per pill, and take one per day. As of 2011, the FDAs recommended daily allowance (RDA) of Vitamin D is a criminally low 400 IU (International Units). The latest research shows that this is not even close to your bodys actual need, and there are groups of concerned scientists most notably, the Vitamin D Council trying to lobby the FDA to raise its recommended intake to cure the near-nationwide-epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency.**"

He apparently cured his acne for life with his diet, so it shouldn't hurt to trust him

MemberMember
(@tea-rex)

Posted : 04/23/2015 10:23 pm

I'm gonna try taking more vitamin D3. Thanks for the info! My current multivitamin only has 1,000 IU

MemberMember
(@clove20)

Posted : 04/30/2015 2:27 pm

I had acne for as long as I could remember.. I'm 21 now and I found a regimen that works for me and keeps it under control but I still get the random breakout, about 2 months ago after taking my nutrition class in college I realized people shouldn't be drinking milk or eating wheat so I immediately cut milk and gluten out of my diet... I surprisingly still had lots to eat, they have gluten free everything these days and flaxseed milk is so yummy and has tons of omega 3... I now have no acne at all, nothing I still follow my regimen but I with I would have cut fairy out a long time ago... I still eat yogurt cuz it has so many good vitamins and good bacteria in it its worth it for my digestive system:) love and take care of ur body and it will look beautiful... I have been getting rid of my scars by peels I've done 2 so far and they are practically gone the tiny little red marks left I just but lemon juice on it twice a week and it's disappearing too, I have trouble finding it sometimes... Please try this guys.. I wish someone had told me this back in high school..

MemberMember
(@tea-rex)

Posted : 05/07/2015 10:02 pm

I had acne for as long as I could remember.. I'm 21 now and I found a regimen that works for me and keeps it under control but I still get the random breakout, about 2 months ago after taking my nutrition class in college I realized people shouldn't be drinking milk or eating wheat so I immediately cut milk and gluten out of my diet... I surprisingly still had lots to eat, they have gluten free everything these days and flaxseed milk is so yummy and has tons of omega 3... I now have no acne at all, nothing I still follow my regimen but I with I would have cut fairy out a long time ago... I still eat yogurt cuz it has so many good vitamins and good bacteria in it its worth it for my digestive system:) love and take care of ur body and it will look beautiful... I have been getting rid of my scars by peels I've done 2 so far and they are practically gone the tiny little red marks left I just but lemon juice on it twice a week and it's disappearing too, I have trouble finding it sometimes... Please try this guys.. I wish someone had told me this back in high school..

This is encouraging. Thank you! I actually started a gluten-free diet on Monday. My doc recommended it since I have digestion issues. I don't eat a lot of dairy either (though milk is in almost everything) but I too eat yogurt. Plain Greek yogurt tastes great. I tried a dairy-free diet exclusively for almost 2 mo. and it did nothing besides make my hair dry (weird..). But I'm having high hopes with the gluten-free diet. Hopefully I can kill two birds with one stone! Fix my tummy and face! :D

Clove20 liked