Notifications
Clear all

Quitting Yasmin

MemberMember
(@doodler)

Posted : 01/21/2015 2:37 am

Hi guys, I need some advice/help/experiences please.

Essentially, I want to quit my Yasmin pill for various personal reasons, but I'm concerned my acne is going to come back, and the internet seems to confirm this! But, as I have recently undergone a second course of Roaccutane, I don't know if I need to worry.

I started Yasmin in July 2013 and started my second course of Roaccutane in October 2013, so the Yasmin has been with me throughout the healing process. By June 2014 my skin was good and clear and has stayed as such: whilst I still get the occasional spot it's 'normal' rather than the painful cysts I was used to.

However, now that I want to quit Yasmin I'm really concerned that my acne's going to make a comeback. Roaccutane was a horrible experience for me both times and I don't want all of that misery to have been for nothing because my skin isn't a problem for the first time in my life. I don't know if the Roaccutane will prevent my acne making such a horrible comeback though, as this time *touch wood* the treatment seems to have worked and stayed working. I just need to weigh up my options. Please help and let me know what you think!

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 01/21/2015 11:14 am

There is advice for weaning off birth control on this forum. I'd advise you not to go cold turkey.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/21/2015 11:50 am

I was on yasmin after accutane and when I stopped it is when my acne really got out of control. If it's keeping your skin clear, why come off of it?

MemberMember
(@doodler)

Posted : 01/21/2015 1:39 pm

I'm not on Yasmin to keep my skin clear - it just happened to be the BC I was using.

The reasons I want to come off the pill are personal, but I am finding it is detrimental to various aspects of my wellbeing which is why I want to quit it. I'm pretty scared to now, though.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/21/2015 2:17 pm

I'm not on Yasmin to keep my skin clear - it just happened to be the BC I was using.

The reasons I want to come off the pill are personal, but I am finding it is detrimental to various aspects of my wellbeing which is why I want to quit it. I'm pretty scared to now, though.

I understand. Yasmin gave me a ton of side effects which is why I had to stop taking it. All you can do is stop taking it and see what happens. Wish I could offer better advice :(

MemberMember
(@doodler)

Posted : 01/22/2015 3:57 am

I understand. Yasmin gave me a ton of side effects which is why I had to stop taking it. All you can do is stop taking it and see what happens. Wish I could offer better advice

Thanks, it means a lot. It's only when I started reading up a bit more on Yasmin that I've realised that a lot of unpleasant things I've been experiencing lately could well be linked to the pill. It's so frustrating, if I'd known this would be the result I'd have never taken Yasmin in the first place.

There is advice for weaning off birth control on this forum. I'd advise you not to go cold turkey.

SiriBai - this is very good advice and the more I've researched into weaning off the BC, the more comfortable I'd feel about the whole quitting process (hopefully it will be less of a shock to my body and potentially avoid a dramatic flair up... is that wishful thinking??) However I wonder if you could link me to any relevant threads. I've been having a browse and topics on this forum to do with weaning off the pill have appeared as broken links when I've tried to click them - yet I could really do with reading about these experiences. If you can point me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated x