Notifications
Clear all

Acne And Depression&anxiety

MemberMember
(@hays12345)

Posted : 01/19/2015 5:38 pm

Hello my name is hayley. I'm 17 and I have been suffering with acne for about 3 years now! I am now at the point where I get panic attacks at the thought of leaving my house. I'm scared and alone, I feel as if I'm the only person in the world with this problem but I know I'm not!! I've been depressed for a long time, my family know that I'm depressed but they don't really understand why... They think that I see my skin worse then they do! But I think they are just saying that!! I just want someone to give me some tips to stay positive and to look forward and beyond my skin because right now it's the first thing I think of when I wake and when I go to sleep! Tips? Please!

MemberMember
(@bunnyby)

Posted : 01/19/2015 6:38 pm

I wish i could say something without being a hypocrite but i feel the same way, and i'm 26! Just know you're not alone, that's something to take comfort in. there are a lot more people who feel the same way than you would think!!

First of all, and i know i still don't believe it either, but your family is right! You are your own worst critic! i'm willing to bet that nobody else thinks that your skin looks as bad as YOU think it does.

Most people (who are worth being around anyway) do not look at your skin as YOU. Your skin is not what defines you.
yes, to a lot of people (myself included) having clear skin is very important, and that's okay! you're working on it and soon you will have clear beautiful skin. But having acne does not make you ugly. nor does it make you an ugly person.

(inside or out)

Find things that occupy your time. constantly be doing something so your mind is not obsessing over your skin!
Find new hobbies, learn some new exciting skills, play video games, join helpful communities, etc!
If you're thinking about the cool new activities you're doing, you're not thinking about your skin!

Join a helping community. (I'm not sure how to explain this haha)

Be a part of a community that helps feed homeless, that helps sheltered animals, that helps children who suffer from issues or who didn't have a good life growing up, etc.

Doing things and seeing the differences you make will help you feel better about yourself too. knowing you helped out people, knowing you made a difference, and there's so much more to you than what you focus on (i.e your skin)

Remind yourself, every single day, that you are beautiful. i know this is so clich© and sounds so so silly, but really tell yourself it, and keep doing it. eventually you'll start believing it.

i think, deep down, everyone has a little bit of confidence. we just have to dig for it sometimes. and that's okay! You'll find it.

fInd a nice outfit and dress up. even if you don't really have plans for the day! it'll help you remind yourself that you're fine as heck and battling acne doesn't need to bring you down, you can still look good :))

the most important thing to remember, and maybe you're not guilty of this, but do not NOT NOT compare yourself to others, ever.

I'm really, really trying hard to do this, and it's the hardest thing in the world to stop, but nobody (nobody worth being in your life) compares you to anyone else.

so why should you do it?

And every single person that you may look up to... even actors, actresses... every single person on earth has someone that they think is prettier, they think is better looking, they think is more fit, etc etc.

nobody is perfect, and nobody is the 'best'. so don't let yourself get caught up in comparisons because that will only make you feel worse. There is only one YOU in the world, and really, nobody can compare to that!

SORRY i went off on a tangent. I feel for you though. i know your struggle and pain, i've been dealing with it for a long time and i'm STILL working on it. but we all find ways to cope and we all gotta keep trying you know? Some day things will be good, and you will learn to love yourself and be happy :)
I really hope you get through this. i know you will. both of us will. chin up doll c:

MemberMember
(@londoncat8)

Posted : 01/19/2015 6:46 pm

What is it that you enjoy doing? If you do not know then spend time discovering what it might be. If you stay at home a lot, spend your time productively¦.reading, drawing, writing¦.whatever you chose use it to share or express your state of mind:) Do not keep your feelings inside, find a way to express them and share. What treatments you are on? Have you tried regimen? There is always a way around everything, we just have to find it. Finding a way is the process of life:) Do not despair:) If everything in life was easy there would be no progress of any kind(spiritual, mental, physical) possible¦ Good luck in your search!:)

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 01/20/2015 1:49 am

I know how you feel! There have been times when all I thought about was my skin and I could not enjoy most things in life because it was always on my mind, and I felt so plagued by it, nothing else mattered. Like bunnyby suggested, hobbies help a lot, so does working, setting goals and achieving them. It's very important to have a passion in life, better yet several things you really enjoy doing. It's important to find things that make you happy. You could also try exercising and getting on a healthy diet. Not even for your acne or health, but your mental state. Since I've been exercising and trying to eat healthier, I gained a kind of peace of mind about my acne, because I know I'm doing all I can at the moment to fix it, and also taking care of my body while doing so.