Notifications
Clear all

Comedonal Acne 🙁

MemberMember
(@t1901)

Posted : 01/13/2015 6:28 pm

Hi guys, I just recently joined this site because I always find myself coming to it to read the advice. My acne first started when I was around eleven. I began getting these rough, tiny, under the skin bumps along my cheeks near my nose. They never bothered me much because I could only see them in the sunlight and in harsh lighting. Then, when I hit about 12-13, that's when the fun began. My forehead became covered in whiteheads, as well as a few along my cheeks and chin, and my back was covered with acne. I was prescribed Duac once daily gel which helped ALOT.

I stopped using it after around seven months, and only went back on about half a year later when my skin got bad again. Then, once it cleared, I gradually stopped and my skin stayed calm for a while, apart from those stubborn under the skin bumps. That was until around 15-16, when I began to notice the closed comedones were spreading to my chin-they were only visible when I stretched out my chin-and my forehead. It wasn't too bad, but I wanted them gone, so I bought Benzac AC 2.5% gel. Not only did it dry out my chin like crazy, but it caused a flare up of cystic acne and whiteheads all over my chin and around my mouth. It helped to clear up the last of my acne on my back, but not much for my face.

I stayed with it for five weeks hoping it was just the benzac bringing all the stuff out from my blocked pores, but then I couldn't handle it anymore. Figuring perhaps it was hormonal-I'd previously gotten a blood test which showed my testosterone levels were normal, but a little on the high side-I tried my best to cut out chocolate, dairy, pastries, and just pretty much all your sweet junk food. However more kept coming, so I recently went to the doctor and was prescribed Epiduo. I'm heading towards two weeks on it now, and plan to stick with it for at least three months. It has helped my chin considerably, and there are currently no pimples above my lip, but the stubborn closed comedones are sticking around-they are particularly bad around my chin and the corners of my mouth. I've tried steaming and exfoliating but they just won't budge. I'm starting to notice them coming along my lower cheeks and jaw area now, which used to be the clearest part of my face I have a sneaking suspicion it's all hormone related, but I really do not want to go on any form of birth control pill to help. Has anyone that has experienced comedonal acne and been on Epiduo noticed improvement? Or do I need to find something else as well to treat that different type of acne?

P.S sorry for the long post!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/13/2015 7:43 pm

Keep on using the epiduo until at least month 3 before making a judgement call. I found that The Regimen (BP) got rid of the type of acne that you described so epiduo may be helpful the longer you use it. As for BC, i think its a good idea not to use it as once you go off it, acne for many can get worse. My naturopath has me on supplements to help support hormone health. It is too early to tell if they will help but look at the hormonal forum as many women who don't want to use BC have found success with supplements such as

DIM

EPO

Chaste berry

Vitex

and many more....

Good Luck, stay patient and stay strong....you are not alone in the struggle.

MemberMember
(@t1901)

Posted : 01/13/2015 8:20 pm

@leelowe1 thank you, yes I plan on sticking with it, I hope you start to see some positive effects from your supplements, good luck! I have heard about DIM and chaste berry before actually, I might try it

MemberMember
(@isaacneedshelp)

Posted : 01/14/2015 10:32 pm

The way i got rid of mine in about a week i used a Mandelic acid 10% serum every other night, it really cleared most of my acne in about a week.
Try using a face mask like clay or sulfur or even better cook oatmeal let it cool down and put drops of tea tree oil and apply for 3o minutes i found this way to be really effective right away. ^>^

MemberMember
(@t1901)

Posted : 01/15/2015 6:19 am

isaacNeedsHelp oh really? I think I'll try clay or oatmeal, it sounds pretty gentle which is what I need right now-epiduo is making my face super sensitive right now-thanks for sharing!

MemberMember
(@isaacneedshelp)

Posted : 01/16/2015 7:05 pm

isaacNeedsHelp oh really? I think I'll try clay or oatmeal, it sounds pretty gentle which is what I need right now-epiduo is making my face super sensitive right now-thanks for sharing!

No problem, ^>^ btw it can get kinda messy :D !