Notifications
Clear all

16 Year Old Male/10Mg A Day

MemberMember
(@mutualcore)

Posted : 01/13/2015 4:29 pm

Hello! 4 days ago my dermatologist prescribed me with 10mg of Clarus a day along with TactuPump (Adapalene and benzoyl peroxide, 0.1% / 2.5%). I am 16, male, and on the thin side. I will try to be posting every day or every other day because I know how helpful these forums were when I decided to try Accutane. I would say I have mild-moderate acne. I've had acne for a long time, since I was about 11, and I've tried everything from topicals to antibiotics but nothing worked. So as a last resort, I went on Accutane and hopefully this should work! If you have any questions, just ask! :)

Day 4:

I have just taken my fourth pill. Currently my skin is breaking out and is very red. The first couple of days my skin wasn't dry at all, but it's now starting to become dry. My lips seem perfectly fine, and I haven't been having any other side effects besides very vivid dreams. I read that this can happen, and each night I have wild dreams that seem real and I can remember it all. I'm breaking out mostly around my mouth and cheeks the most. The red marks left by constant pimples are now starting to form into pimples a bit. On my chin, I have a very big under-the-skin pimple that seems to be rising to the surface, which I am not excited about. I'm not sure if this is my initial breakout, because they usually happen later on while mine started instantly. The only other side effect that might not even be related to Accutane is I've felt a flight pain in my heart region, but nothing durastic. I'll stay posted.

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 01/13/2015 7:41 pm

Just wanted to say best of luck! And that I'm looking forward to seeing the updates (:

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 01/13/2015 10:16 pm

interesting...will you be staying on the low dose of 10 mg for the whole time?

MemberMember
(@mutualcore)

Posted : 01/15/2015 3:02 am

Day 4:

Today my face has hit the dry point. Earlier on today after I washed my face it became very dry. Putting a bit of Aveeno moisturizer helped town it down a bit. I'm also starting to break out more. I'm not sure if this is the initial break out, but I would be okay if it is because it's pretty tolerable right now. Currently, I washed my face again (I use the Cetaphil daily cleanser) and it got very dry and red, which I think is because of the topical. I also am going to stop using the topical because it burns my face a lot, which is interesting because it never use to burn. I barely felt it on my face before.

I also have two questions if anyone would be kind enough to answer:

1. Can I use regular Cetaphil moisturizer on my face? Or do I have to buy a specific face moisturizer.

2. Has anyone else been on 10mg for their Accutane process? It's such a low dosage and I'm scared it will take a while and I just want to get it over with. How bad was your IB? how long were you on it for?

Garrettryan, on 13 Jan 2015 - 17:48, said:

Just wanted to say best of luck! And that I'm looking forward to seeing the updates (:

Thank you! I'll try to keep as updated as possible :)

mrsrobinson, on 13 Jan 2015 - 20:23, said:

I guess I'll see how it goes. Ideally I'd like to raise my dosage to 20mg at sometime by taking two pills a day.

MemberMember
(@greatdane)

Posted : 01/16/2015 5:15 am

Hi MutualCore :)

I can't answer your question on Cetaphil (I'm from Denmark and have never heard of it), but in general I think it is a good idea to use a moisturizer that is meant for your face - Think some body lotions can result in clogged pores and thereby more breakouts..

In terms of dosage, I am also on a low dose of 20 mg/day (I'm 25 years old and weigh around 50 kg). It is of course going to take longer than if the dose is higher, but on the other hand doing low dose treatments should decrease long term scarring because you don't break out as much as on the higher doses. And for me, my last course of Accutane of 40 mg/day (I'm on my second course now), caused really really bad side effects to the point where i almost gave up.

So for me, the lower dose is definitely preferable :)

MemberMember
(@mutualcore)

Posted : 01/18/2015 2:46 am

Day 8:

My face is breaking out really badly. The weird thing is that it's only breaking out around my mouth and nose, the place I get dry the most. That reminds me, my face is also very very dry. Before Accutane, I used to have very dry skin which would be easy irritated. After I took some antibiotics, for some reason my face balanced perfectly between not too dry and not too oily. It also helped tame my acne a lot, I never got inflamed pimples or whiteheads, but I still had acne marks. But now it's almost as Accutane has reversed those fortunate effects, and is making my skin how it used to be. My lips aren't too bad actually, not as bad as they used to be. For the rest of my face, the redness has disapeared, and it seems to be much smoother. I currently only use the topical for certain spots, and not all over my face. I had a HUGE whitehead yesterday (probably the biggest one I've ever had) which hurt and bugged me a lot, but today I woke up with it ruced by a lot, and right now it's basically gone. That's the one good thing about this is that the acne goes away after like a day, but it just creates more in different places. I really hope this is the initial breakout because I don't know if I can handle it getting worse.

Two more questions!

1: Is it common for the IB to happen so early (8 days in)? The day after I started taking the drug I started to break out.

2: If this is my IB, how long does it usuall take to die down? I don't mean clear my face up, but when will my IB stop and my face will go back to normal?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@theleftphalange)

Posted : 01/20/2015 11:50 am

Hey MutualCore. I'm also taking the 10mg tablets for 2 months and then up to 20mg for the next 2 months, so we're on pretty similar journeys.

I'm on day 8 today and my chin area has started to breakout,

however I have been eating pretty bad this month so I'm not sure if its the IB or because of my diet.

MemberMember
(@mutualcore)

Posted : 01/27/2015 6:04 pm

Day 19:

Wow! I can't believe I haven't posted for 11 days! I apologize, but I've just been so busy with catching up on school. The day after I made my last post, my skin started instantly clearing up. All my active pimples just died down, and nothing was inflamed. Also, my skin retained a bit of moisture, and isn't as dry anymore. Each day I've been getting pimples and white heads, but nothing as bad as my first break out. I can finally shave again, sort of. I'm now starting to get the back pains, but only if I slouch or bend down. I haven't got any rashes or dry skin on my body, which is good. My hair also gets oily like usual, but I have been noticing some dandriff which I've never gotten before. Currently, my skin is very clear of active pimples. On the second day I started Accutane, I developed a large under the skin cyst (I think that's what it's called), and now it is coming to the surface, creating some whiteheads around the area. It's currently very red and large, so hopefully it should go away soon. Other than that, I have only a few whiteheads on my chin. The only thing that's really bugging me is the ammount of blackheads on my nose. I never really got blackheads before, only a couple, but now they are all over my nose and are noticable. I'm hoping this goes away soon. I can't believe I've been on the drug for 20 days! Almost a month! Time really is flying by like everyone says. I just want my skin clear.

Also, if anyone out there is going to take a low dosage like I am, and you have any questions or tips I have about the first month, just ask!

And I'll try to update more often.

MemberMember
(@mutualcore)

Posted : 01/28/2015 5:21 pm

Day 20:

Today I woke up with TONS of blackheads on my nose. I hate it because I never got blackheads like that before. Should I be worried? I hope they go away soon, because they're pretty visible. My skin is turning some of my acne marks a pink-ish red, so hopefully it's just trying to get rid of them. Other than that, I have a huge whitehead clump of like 3 whiteheads on my chin, and just one more whitehead. I hope my skin starts clearing up soon.

MemberMember
(@aidadia)

Posted : 01/30/2015 2:28 pm

Hey MutualCore,

I'm on a 10 mg/day dose and I just finished my 3rd week, so it looks like we are on almost the same schedule!

I use Cetaphil daily, sometimes even 2-3 times a day. It is total safe to use every day, I actually can't live without it it's my holy grail product! Just make sure you are applying it with clean hands. If you find that you have flakey patches where your skin is peeling. I put a small amount of Cetaphil on a cotton pad and then rub that over the flakey area. It sort of exfoliates in a gentle way to get rid of the flaking and also moisturizes the skin at the same time. You might have to repeat this process a few times before you are flake free.

In regards to that tactuo, that stuff is STRONG! (I was on it for a while but ended up having an allergic reaction). It will work really well for controlling your breakouts, but you shouldn't be rubbing it all over your face! What I would do is put some on the back of my hand and then use a q-tip to put on a tiny amount on each active pimple. Just make sure the pimple is covered and then it will dry it out over night. A little bit goes a long way with that stuff. If you put more, it definitely won't speed up the process, it will just destroys your skin! I learnt that the hard way.

With the blackheads, my nose went insane too! It still is going a bit crazy. It's totally normal for this to happen though, the isotretinoin is essentially "pushing" all the gunk from the inside of your pores out to the surface. I bought the Nivea Pore Strips, the ones that you put on your nose and then peel off after a few minutes. It worked pretty well at getting them out. I just found that it is like $10 for a box of 6 in Canada and it was getting pretty pricey, since I was using 2 a day. I found this youtube video (

) yesterday about making your own (using milk and non-flavoured jello) . I am thinking about giving it a try this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes!

Day 4:

Today my face has hit the dry point. Earlier on today after I washed my face it became very dry. Putting a bit of Aveeno moisturizer helped town it down a bit. I'm also starting to break out more. I'm not sure if this is the initial break out, but I would be okay if it is because it's pretty tolerable right now. Currently, I washed my face again (I use the Cetaphil daily cleanser) and it got very dry and red, which I think is because of the topical. I also am going to stop using the topical because it burns my face a lot, which is interesting because it never use to burn. I barely felt it on my face before.

1. Can I use regular Cetaphil moisturizer on my face? Or do I have to buy a specific face moisturizer.
2. Has anyone else been on 10mg for their Accutane process? It's such a low dosage and I'm scared it will take a while and I just want to get it over with. How bad was your IB? how long were you on it for?

Thank you! I'll try to keep as updated as possible

>

I guess I'll see how it goes. Ideally I'd like to raise my dosage to 20mg at sometime by taking two pills a day.

MemberMember
(@mutualcore)

Posted : 02/01/2015 12:55 pm

Day 24:

So today I woke up to look at the mirror and see amazing results! My face is the clearest its been since I can remember. My right side of my face is 95% clear and I only have a few under the skin pimples and dying out ones. I've also noticed the ammount of blackheads have reduced. The left side of my face has a few pimples, that are more like dying bumps. Hopefully those will go away soon. The only thing that concerns me in an under the skin pimple on my chin. The last one I had on my chin turned into a clump of white heads and it was really gross. Hopefully maybe that won't happen again. Also, I am using a humidifier in my room when I go to bed and I think it's helpful actually.

Hey MutualCore,

I'm on a 10 mg/day dose and I just finished my 3rd week, so it looks like we are on almost the same schedule!

I use Cetaphil daily, sometimes even 2-3 times a day. It is total safe to use every day, I actually can't live without it it's my holy grail product! Just make sure you are applying it with clean hands. If you find that you have flakey patches where your skin is peeling. I put a small amount of Cetaphil on a cotton pad and then rub that over the flakey area. It sort of exfoliates in a gentle way to get rid of the flaking and also moisturizes the skin at the same time. You might have to repeat this process a few times before you are flake free.

In regards to that tactuo, that stuff is STRONG! (I was on it for a while but ended up having an allergic reaction). It will work really well for controlling your breakouts, but you shouldn't be rubbing it all over your face! What I would do is put some on the back of my hand and then use a q-tip to put on a tiny amount on each active pimple. Just make sure the pimple is covered and then it will dry it out over night. A little bit goes a long way with that stuff. If you put more, it definitely won't speed up the process, it will just destroys your skin! I learnt that the hard way.

With the blackheads, my nose went insane too! It still is going a bit crazy. It's totally normal for this to happen though, the isotretinoin is essentially "pushing" all the gunk from the inside of your pores out to the surface. I bought the Nivea Pore Strips, the ones that you put on your nose and then peel off after a few minutes. It worked pretty well at getting them out. I just found that it is like $10 for a box of 6 in Canada and it was getting pretty pricey, since I was using 2 a day. I found this youtube video () yesterday about making your own (using milk and non-flavoured jello) . I am thinking about giving it a try this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes!

Day 4:

Thank you! I'll try to keep as updated as possible smile.png

>

>

>

Thank you for the info! It's nice to know someone else is going down the same path as me! Are you on 10mg because you have mild acne? Mine isnt that bad, and I am also very light so I am hoping 10mg will be enough.

MemberMember
(@aidadia)

Posted : 02/03/2015 12:10 am

Hey MutualCore,

Glad to hear your skin is clearing up!

My acne isnt mild, but it's definitely not severe. Somewhere in the middle, with lots of scarring.

I'm on the lower dose because I wanted to minimize the side effects and the long term effect it would have on my body. So I opted to go for a regime of 10 mg/day for 2 months, and then up to 20 mg/day for 2 months.

I have a higher rate of having my acne come back. My derm said about 80% chance that I'll remain clear after the 4 months. But the 10 mg/day has already caused so many side effects, that I could only imagine what a 60 mg/day dose would've done!

I'm excited to hear how the rest of your clean skin journey goes :)

Day 24:

So today I woke up to look at the mirror and see amazing results! My face is the clearest its been since I can remember. My right side of my face is 95% clear and I only have a few under the skin pimples and dying out ones. I've also noticed the ammount of blackheads have reduced. The left side of my face has a few pimples, that are more like dying bumps. Hopefully those will go away soon. The only thing that concerns me in an under the skin pimple on my chin. The last one I had on my chin turned into a clump of white heads and it was really gross. Hopefully maybe that won't happen again. Also, I am using a humidifier in my room when I go to bed and I think it's helpful actually.

Hey MutualCore,

With the blackheads, my nose went insane too! It still is going a bit crazy. It's totally normal for this to happen though, the isotretinoin is essentially "pushing" all the gunk from the inside of your pores out to the surface. I bought the Nivea Pore Strips, the ones that you put on your nose and then peel off after a few minutes. It worked pretty well at getting them out. I just found that it is like $10 for a box of 6 in Canada and it was getting pretty pricey, since I was using 2 a day. I found this youtube video () yesterday about making your own (using milk and non-flavoured jello) . I am thinking about giving it a try this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes!

Day 4:

Thank you! I'll try to keep as updated as possible smile.png

&gt

;

>

>lockquote>I guess I'll see how it goes. Ideally I'd like to raise my dosage to 20mg at sometime by taking two pills a day.

Thank you for the info! It's nice to know someone else is going down the same path as me! Are you on 10mg because you have mild acne? Mine isnt that bad, and I am also very light so I am hoping 10mg will be enough.

MemberMember
(@theleftphalange)

Posted : 02/03/2015 11:54 am

Hey MutualCore,

Glad to hear your skin is clearing up!

My acne isnt mild, but it's definitely not severe. Somewhere in the middle, with lots of scarring.

I'm on the lower dose because I wanted to minimize the side effects and the long term effect it would have on my body. So I opted to go for a regime of 10 mg/day for 2 months, and then up to 20 mg/day for 2 months.

You are exactly the same as me. 10mg for 2 months then 20mg for 2 months.

Although I am on day 22 and have been lucky and avoided any side effects so far apart from a bit of dry lips.

I'm finding it hard to eat cleaner though. I need to stop drinking so much fizzy drinks.