Notifications
Clear all

Acne Breakout After Stopping Antibiotics.. Started Taking Again

MemberMember
(@alugor)

Posted : 01/12/2015 4:02 am

I am 21 years old male. About more than a year ago, i had a massive acne breakout so i thought of consulting a doctor. I had large acne, i guess cystic, but it only came like one per month or so. But that time, all of a sudden it filled my face and i went to a doctor. He gave me azythromycin, tretinoin gel and a clindamycin gel.
After 5 or 6 months my skin cleared up and it was the best feeling i ever had. Then unfortunately on the week where i had my doctors appointment, i had chicken pox ( just my luck). So after that i didn't go to the doc's ( my mistake) and stopped taking antibiotics.

After 2-3 months i broke out again, but this time , it wasn't like before. It was big and cystic before, but now its all small and red but all over the face. I thought it would eventually clear up, but it didnt , so i went to the doc again, and again he prescribed me with the same stuff. But now after 3 months of taking the antibiotics, it hasnt shown any improvements. Should i stop taking them?

What am i supposed to do?
This thing affects me so much. My self confidence went so low, i don't even want to get out of the house anymore.
Things getting worse day by day.. *sigh* :(

MemberMember
(@tadamasa)

Posted : 01/12/2015 2:25 pm

I've been on antibiotics for over 2 years and I could honestly say that acne will always come back once you stop taking it. You could take it forever but you'll most likely be slowly killing your liver and the bacteria in your body will start developing an immunity to the antibiotic, which is what you might be seeing(and has happened to me as well). But anyways you're going to have to find out what's causing your acne, whether it be vitamin deficiency, hormones, bacteria, etc. because I don't think antibiotics has ever cured anyone's acne. If you want to skip all that, you can always try accutane, which many people have been cured of their acne, but there are a few that made theirs worse.

MemberMember
(@alugor)

Posted : 01/13/2015 1:01 am

I've been on antibiotics for over 2 years and I could honestly say that acne will always come back once you stop taking it. You could take it forever but you'll most likely be slowly killing your liver and the bacteria in your body will start developing an immunity to the antibiotic, which is what you might be seeing(and has happened to me as well). But anyways you're going to have to find out what's causing your acne, whether it be vitamin deficiency, hormones, bacteria, etc. because I don't think antibiotics has ever cured anyone's acne. If you want to skip all that, you can always try accutane, which many people have been cured of their acne, but there are a few that made theirs worse.

hmm, so i already took antibiotics for 12 weeks , should i just stop? ... should i stop going to the doc?

Will stopping to take them cause any harmful effects? . :/

MemberMember
(@tadamasa)

Posted : 01/13/2015 3:44 am

Well you can still take them if they are clearing your acne up, but once its cleared you'll have to find out what's causing your acne or else it'll come back. But you should stop taking them for your health, though you would have to be taking antibiotics for long periods of time for it to cause permanent damage. You can still visit your derm, but if you want to take the risk you could try asking for accutane and getting rid of acne for good. Other than that, the derm will only keep prescribing you pill and creams one after another, which none will cure your acne. And no stopping antibiotics won't harm you unless you were developing an infection or something

MemberMember
(@alugor)

Posted : 01/13/2015 4:17 am

Well you can still take them if they are clearing your acne up, but once its cleared you'll have to find out what's causing your acne or else it'll come back. But you should stop taking them for your health, though you would have to be taking antibiotics for long periods of time for it to cause permanent damage. You can still visit your derm, but if you want to take the risk you could try asking for accutane and getting rid of acne for good. Other than that, the derm will only keep prescribing you pill and creams one after another, which none will cure your acne. And no stopping antibiotics won't harm you unless you were developing an infection or something

Thanks for the reply .. :)

I think i am going to stop taking antibiotics, i have taken them long enough.

Already took for about 6-7 months before and again now for 12 weeks. Before ,it cleared up , but now its not working at all.

I don't know what is causing them either, maybe not sleeping well or too much of college stress.

Anyway, thank you :)

MemberMember
(@aman-brar)

Posted : 01/16/2015 10:53 pm

I can understand your fellings , but its not hard to get rid of acnes. Ask your demterologist to pop your acnes he will do this with a device which will looks like " hair picker" and then start washing your face with "Tea Tree Oil soap " & use " Clarithromycin gel cream" 2 times in a day alongside take dioxycycline tablets 2 times in a day & lycopene tablets once in day .... I can bet ypu will get totally cured in 10-15 days but not try popping with your hands if you try ypur face will get worse ..go to demterologist he will pop your acnes with a professional method and you will not get even a single scar