Stubborn Cyst - Ple...

Notifications
Clear all

Stubborn Cyst - Please Help!

MemberMember
(@wannabecute)

Posted : 01/11/2015 2:37 pm

I have had a cyst on the side of my chin since August and it refuses to go away! I am female, 44 years old and have had oily, acne prone skin for as long as I can remember. I had trouble with cysts in my early twenties, but not so much anymore. I get one about every 5 years and they usually take a month to go away, but not this one. I have tried everything over the counter that I know exists and have been to the derm twice to have it injected with cortisone, Last injection was almost 3 weeks ago and the derm also gave me a 2 week supply of Solodyn. Well........It is still here! What should I do? Go back to the derm? Try a different derm? Continue to wait it out? Please help!

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 01/11/2015 8:18 pm

Personally I'm not sure what else can really be done, since you've already had some injections. I say give it some more time, and a second opinion never hurts... if it's not gone in a couple more weeks you could try a further injection.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/12/2015 7:25 pm

I have had a cyst on the side of my chin since August and it refuses to go away! I am female, 44 years old and have had oily, acne prone skin for as long as I can remember. I had trouble with cysts in my early twenties, but not so much anymore. I get one about every 5 years and they usually take a month to go away, but not this one. I have tried everything over the counter that I know exists and have been to the derm twice to have it injected with cortisone, Last injection was almost 3 weeks ago and the derm also gave me a 2 week supply of Solodyn. Well........It is still here! What should I do? Go back to the derm? Try a different derm? Continue to wait it out? Please help!

Check out the "hormonal acne" forum on here and see what other people have tried. At this point in your life acne is hormonal in nature. You need to address the hormonal issues inside your body to prevent new blemishes from occurring.

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 01/19/2015 2:29 pm

I'm so sorry you're having such a bad flare-up. I know how it feels...been there many times myself. I have some ideas that will help. This is what got me clear after having extremely resistant and chronic cystic acne and using every product under the sun. This will help your current inflamed cyst go down and will help prevent new ones.

Stop eating processed oils of any kind. This will help lower inflammation and oiliness on the skin (and blocked pores!). This means avoiding salad dressings, cooking with oil (olive oil too), mayo, fried foods, etc. If you think this is radical go to Dr McDougal's articles on causes of adult acne. His work is based on studies and research of cultures that don't get acne. www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/common-health-problems/acne You will notice an improvement in your skin within 10 days.

Stop eating sugary foods. This also helps to lower inflammation.

Stop eating dairy foods, including cheese. This helps lower the hormones that cause acne.

Use some form of BP daily. I personally like using a BP cleanser because it doesn't bleach my clothing. And it works if you use one with a patent to clear acne such as Panoxyl 10% which is sold over the counter.

Use some form of topical antibiotic. You may or may not need this. I do because my cystic acne was so bad. I like Cleocin-T. The mistake many derms make is to prescribe the topical alone...when research shows it works best with a BP cleanser.

Get monthly microdermabrasions. This helps open pores and keep them open. Plus it takes away scarring. I love it. My skin now looks like it did before I got acne...amazing! My derm recommends the diamond tip kind because it is better for the skin. It is well worth the money if you suffer from cystic acne.

Use a moisturizer developed for acne prone skin. My derm swears by DML lotion. I never used lotion because before doing this regime my skin was so oily but my derm insisted because DML helps heal the skin. It is used following cosmetic surgery. It can be bought over the counter. I love it...it is light and dries well.

If you do the above you will get clear...and quickly. I suffered for such a long time but when I went to my new derm and he got me on this regime I was clear within the month and have never gotten a cyst again...and it's been years now. I have to keep doing the treatment to stay clear but it works so I'm happy. You will note below in my signature that I am still on some Spiro but I was taking that before I went to this derm and he is weaning me off of it.

I hope this helps you! P.S. the diet part is really important...don't skip that part.