Notifications
Clear all

Battling Acne For Over 8 Years

MemberMember
(@thehyperpig)

Posted : 01/10/2015 10:27 pm

Hi everyone!

I don't usually do the whole forum scene but I think it will be therapeutic for me if I share my acne story. So here we are in 2015 and here's to a new year's resolution. I would like to be clear by my birthday in August and wishing that if I can't obtain that goal, to be clear by the end of 2015!

I have oily skin to the point that I have to wash my glasses every night before I go to bed. I have had mild to moderate acne (I feel though as if I have severe) for more than 8 years and just recently I consulted with a dermatologist for the very first time in my life. Prior to the consultation, my routine consisted of everything imaginable - yes I think I have tried everything non-prescriptive.

First, there is diet. I have tried pin-pointing the root cause of my acne first through diet change. Removing white rice from my diet showed some signs of improvement but yet here I am having eaten no rice for almost 2 years and my face is still covered with acne of the same severity. I have significantly decreased my fast food, soda, and overall sugar intake and still my acne seems relentless. I have incorporated cucumbers, kale, and spinach into my regular diet as well as increased my overall intake of several different kinds of vegetables, which showed no visible signs of helping to stop my acne. Just because it didn't work though doesn't mean I stopped doing it. I still continue with this diet for my health.

Second, there are topical treatments. A long time ago, just getting out of middle school, I noticed I had bumps appearing out of nowhere, I simply started washing my face with warm water - twice a day. It started to get worse so my mom bought a soap bar that tackled oily skin. I was in my teenage years. Teenagers get acne so no big deal, right? My acne subsided for a bit and then got worse with time. I started to get hyperpigmentation and lots of acne scars. I then switch to brand name face washes: from Neutragena, Clearasil, Proactiv, you name it. At this point I was in the middle of getting my BS degree, but I began to feel depressed and avoided going outside to social events and just avoided people in general. The topical treatments I used only helped to control some of my acne. My face was still popping out cysts like a rabbit popping out babies in spring. I've never had clear skin as an adult and I was fed up. Sorry, I meant to keep this short, but there's just a lot on my mind. Anyway, fast forward to my dermatoligist consultation...

I heard about Accutane (Isotretanoin I think) and I read about it all over the internet, from the effectiveness to the side effects... I was leaning towards pleading with my derm for this magical drug.

My derm recommended that I try the following first because accutane is supposedly a last resort treatment so he put me on:

Sodium Sulfacetamide 10% & Sulfur 5% Cleanser (twice a day face wash)

Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg Capsule (2 month, oral antibiotic taken twice a day 2 hours before or 2 hours after eating anything)

Epiduo (once a day night mask)

I started using the cleanser on 1/6/15 and the antibiotic and face mask on 1/8/15.

So far, the larger cysts have subsided. What I am concerned about is what will happen when I am finally off of these prescriptions... but that is still a long wait from now and all I can think of is picturing myself with clear skin.

I feel optimistic and please feel free to voice your opinion or share your story with me!

Thanks!!!

MemberMember
(@thehyperpig)

Posted : 01/15/2015 1:11 am

One week update:

Hmm... I feel that the number of active pimples/cysts that I have has decreased. The antibiotics are definitely taking effect. My face is starting to smooth out... however, I still have acne on my temples that are really sensative and a few small ones on my jawline.

The cleanser and mask are great! My face is less oily than usual, however I can definitely feel it peeling when I run the back of my hands along my face. The peeling is not noticeable when I look in the mirror but I can really feel it all over my face. I would like to cut back on the cleanser to once a day and use glycolic acid as a replacement.

MemberMember
(@thehyperpig)

Posted : 01/30/2015 3:32 am

Three week update:

Ok, I'm feeling sad and happy at the same time. It has been officially 3 weeks since I started my prescription. I still have scars and I'm still getting acne along my jawline and temples mostly. The passed three days, I unintentionally missed taking 3 antibiotic pills... and my face feels inflamed and bumpy.

I'm sad that the antibiotics worked for a while but now it could be losing its effectiveness. Sad that I got a taste of what it will be like to be off the antibiotics. I feel that my acne will return with a vengeance in March when I am officially supposed to be off the pills.

At the same time, I'm happy because this could lead and warrant an accutane prescription. Very mixed feelings all at once... -sigh- but I still feel hopeful.

MemberMember
(@jensweetone)

Posted : 04/14/2015 6:48 pm

Thank you for sharing! I just got on the same antibiotic and am praying it works out! my face hurts so bad right now