Notifications
Clear all

2Nd Round Accutane Uk Nhs Advice

MemberMember
(@v-dub-2)

Posted : 01/10/2015 9:47 am

Hi everybody,

I'm looking to potentially get onto a second course of accutane or isotretinoin as it is called here in the UK.

I'm post 2 years from my first course. Accutane did wonders for my acne, I suffered from mild to moderate acne but it was very persistent and the usual antibiotics/creams/gels did nothing for me.

I spent a year going through the process (gels/creams and antibotics through my gp) until I was finally referred to dermatology via the nhs.

The dermatologist put me through a few other treatments which again did not work and was eventually put onto accutane.

Post treatment I was 99.9% clear for about 6 months with oil returning gradually everyday.

I then began getting a few pimples here and there mainly whiteheads and a few tiny bumps. Now being 2 years post treatment I'm having to deal with these on a daily basis but nowhere near as bad as I was pre accutane.

The issue is the amount of oil my skin produces, hence the whiteheads returning. I feel that I could be so close to achieving normal skin by perhaps opting for a second course of accutane. I'm going to be 28 this year and I have so much other stuff to worry about other then acne!

My question to those who have been through the nhs is whether I need to go through the entire process again (see my gp, maybe try a few treatments he suggests then take it from there. Or could I contact the dermatology department and see if they would give me a consultation without a referral?) The funny thing is that when I was discharged from dermatology the derm said to me 'if you have any problems give us a call'. But that was 2 years ago!

How did you get onto a second course of accutane via the nhs?

Appreciate your help guys!

MemberMember
(@legomom)

Posted : 01/11/2015 8:41 am

I live in the US, but Im all for going straight to the source if you can.

They said give them a call, so of COURSE try that first.

Once you are in their system, as with Oncology, Rheumatology etc, you shouldn't start back at square one.

You DEFINATELY need another round. It's very common, and I'm sure they will NOT want you to try everything again.

They MAY want to try lowdose antibiotics because Accutane can make your acne more responsive to antibiotics. I would protest though because that won't take care if the over production of oil.

If you look around enough, you'll find lots of info on side effects of long-term antibiotics that you might have ready when you go for your appt.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@v-dub-2)

Posted : 01/11/2015 10:32 am

Thanks for the reply. The only problem with regards to our national health service here in the UK is that it is very systematic due to demand. You generally always have to see your doctor first who will make the decision on any treatment he/she sees fit first.

The only way I was able to get to see a dermatologist was through a referral directly from my doctor after no significant improvement. If he did not do this I would have had no option but to spend a fortune by going to a private dermatologist.

I guess I'll call the dermatology clinic and see what they say. Just thought if there was anybody out there who has been through the same situation and could give me their first hand experience then I'd know what to expect and the best way to go about it all.

I just don't think I could go through with months of trial and error again.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 01/17/2015 10:03 am

hi v dub, i think you will need to be referred again, but then i am not 100% sure. I called up and thats what they told me, if it was for a new issue.

so yeah since its the same issue i don't see why they wouldn't. I might try and call mine again.

Can I ask... when you stopped accutane did you have any scars because of it or hyperpigmentation? if so, did it improve? disappear? Ive been left with hyper pigmentation from cysts that errupted when I came off the course...

i was on the course for 4.5 months at 20mg a day with a view to do 7-8 months. Headaches put an end to treatment early..

MemberMember
(@v-dub-2)

Posted : 03/31/2015 9:39 am

hi v dub, i think you will need to be referred again, but then i am not 100% sure. I called up and thats what they told me, if it was for a new issue.

so yeah since its the same issue i don't see why they wouldn't. I might try and call mine again.

Can I ask... when you stopped accutane did you have any scars because of it or hyperpigmentation? if so, did it improve? disappear? Ive been left with hyper pigmentation from cysts that errupted when I came off the course...

i was on the course for 4.5 months at 20mg a day with a view to do 7-8 months. Headaches put an end to treatment early..

Hi mate, sorry for the super late reply!

An update on my current situation..Unfortunately I had to get a referral from my gp. I was seen by a derm at the same clinic.

To cut a long story short, I was refused accutane and instead prescribed me clindamycin 3 times a day with a topical gel with the view to see me again in 4 months time (June/July).

The derm had no interest in my views so I couldn't really fight my corner about wanting to go on a second round but I guess I just have to go through the process even if it is lengthy!

Regarding the hyperpigmentation, I had plenty of dark marks left from recent spots, these actually faded while I was on accutane.

Post accutane though I was left with a few red marks/scars. I still have these and they don't bother me, I only have a few and are quite small in size. Fortunately my acne wasn't severe, just very persistent.

MemberMember
(@madmanx)

Posted : 04/09/2015 8:41 pm

If you are not happy with your current derm ask your gp to refer u to a different derm maybe at a different hospital for a second opinoin thats what I did..

MemberMember
(@v-dub-2)

Posted : 04/17/2015 11:50 am

If you are not happy with your current derm ask your gp to refer u to a different derm maybe at a different hospital for a second opinoin thats what I did..

At my clinic where I see my gp, there are a number of different departments including dermatology.

Once referred by your gp, you are seen by a dermatologist at the same clinic and not the hospital.

This was also the case when I first went in about my acne. The derm at the clinic made me try a couple of things before writing a letter to the hospital recommending I go on to accutane when all else failed with her and under my gp.

So unfortunately, I'm stuck with this derm for now, I'm guessing she will put me on something different when I see her for my follow up in the summer.