Notifications
Clear all

Subcision + Suction First Vs Subcision + $1500-2000 Ablative Fx

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/10/2015 7:42 am

I was considering go straight to Ablative Total Fx but I found this study that I totally forgot about.

Instead of dropping two ground right away, I figured I should try subcision + suction.

Thoughts? Opinions?

MemberMember
(@tothemoonandback)

Posted : 01/10/2015 3:05 pm

Yes, that's what I'm doing once im done with my accutane treatment.

I haven't decided which suctioning device I'll be using yet...

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/10/2015 6:27 pm

On 1/10/2015 at 12:05 PM, ToTheMoonAndBack said:

Yes, that's what I'm doing once im done with my accutane treatment.

I haven't decided which suctioning device I'll be using yet...

Good to know. I wont be alone.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 01/10/2015 9:09 pm

I think that if you have rolling scars / areas of volume loss, it's imperative to raise the "valleys" as close to the level of the "peaks" beforehand as possible. Resurfacing is futile if your scars are too deep, because there is a limit to how deep you can ablate. Subcision and suction is one of the better ways to do this. Interesting how in depth this article got about the level of subcision. If done too superficially, it may cause a hypertrophic scar, and conversely done too deeply it will have no effect.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/10/2015 9:42 pm

I think that if you have rolling scars / areas of volume loss, it's imperative to raise the "valleys" as close to the level of the "peaks" beforehand as possible. Resurfacing is futile if your scars are too deep, because there is a limit to how deep you can ablate. Subcision and suction is one of the better ways to do this. Interesting how in depth this article got about the level of subcision. If done too superficially, it may cause a hypertrophic scar, and conversely done too deeply it will have no effect.

What do you think?

MemberMember
(@tothemoonandback)

Posted : 01/10/2015 10:18 pm

On 1/10/2015 at 3:27 PM, Robertitoo said:
On 1/10/2015 at 12:05 PM, ToTheMoonAndBack said:

It looks kind of weird, but I guess it works and it's pretty cheap.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/11/2015 8:09 pm

I'll be taking these tomorrow (3) Vbeam Perfecta with me to show my my dr, Dr. Rullan. I will tell him to go as aggressive as possible on my scars. And get a last Vbeam P (4) treatment to boost collagen and remove remaining redness/hyper pigmentation after 2-3 weeks.

I love Vbeam P, but it didn't help pitted scars much. They are less apparent in Sun Light and well as Bathroom lights. I will say that.

If all goes well I should be able to get this treatment on my birthday, March __.

MemberMember
(@tothemoonandback)

Posted : 01/11/2015 10:07 pm

That's exciting. Will you post before and after pictures?

So you are having your 3rd and 4th treatment with the vbeam laser? I was wondering why do you use it over let's say cheaper options like microneedling.

Also, have you ever considered PDL treatment for the redness and discoloration?

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/11/2015 10:40 pm

That's exciting. Will you post before and after pictures?

So you are having your 3rd and 4th treatment with the vbeam laser? I was wondering why do you use it over let's say cheaper options like microneedling.

Also, have you ever considered PDL treatment for the redness and discoloration?

Vbeam IS a PDL laser. I HIGHLY recommend it. If you do, look for a DR that has the updated Vbeam Perfecta that wont cause bruising (purpura) - no down time, before any other procedure because it truly does clear your redness & hyper pigmentation Usually a 10-30% improvement per treatment and results after 3 weeks. I think it's an important step for multi-step scar revision IF not only are your atrophy scars are new (reddish), & have overall redness like I do.

Vbeam

On behalf of needling I have done and it will continue to do it because I see results, slow but visible results. I plan on purchasing a high quality built non-medical derma-pen like device from owndoc.com sooner or later to do proper treatments.

Very affordable and i'm a working student.. Your face is real estate!

Vbeam - Temple, Cheeks & Forehead (i ask him to do forehead while he's treating me, lol) per/$115

Subcision - $300-500

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 01/11/2015 10:49 pm

$115 is pretty good for Vbeam Perfecta. Everyone in LA charges a few hundred for them, it's highway robbery.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/11/2015 11:15 pm

$115 is pretty good for Vbeam Perfecta. Everyone in LA charges a few hundred for them, it's highway robbery.

Yea unfortunately

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/12/2015 3:38 pm

After reading thoroughly I found VITAL importance to success - along with the suctioning

The key is subcision in the superficial dermal layer of the skin.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/18/2015 12:19 pm

Update: Last monday with Dr.Rullan he agreed to do this treatment. Unfortunately, It almost seemed as if he hasn't done it in a while because he didn't seem excited when I mentioned this procedure/protocol. Almost like if he shrugged it off - that worries me. I also asked him how much the procedure cost infront of his assisant and he said he forgot,

The lady at the desk told me it was $300

I have an appointment this wednesdsay with a well reknowned double board dermatologist in La Jolla, CA - Dr. Goldman

http://clderm.com/

If the before and afters (often never uploaded to the web b/c of copright issues) & doctor convinces me i'll most likely go for the laser procedure. I will also hint him on subcision prior to laser.

If I do go that route I will make it clear that I will only proceed with the laser if follow up treatments are discounted. (Discount for 2nd round in 6+ months). **if needed**

We'll see how that goes. I'll keep you guys updated.

Goal is 75% Improvement.

MemberMember
(@tothemoonandback)

Posted : 01/18/2015 9:10 pm

Very nice plan. Either option is worthwhile for 75% improvement. I think you should mention your expectations to both doctors.

Regarding the doctor who felt uneasy about doing subcision I would probably not push on getting the procedure.

MemberMember
(@anonuser)

Posted : 01/19/2015 1:07 am

No reason not to try a few sessions of sub+suc. first before doing the laser. It's a relatively cheap, quick and safe procedure. Can always do the laser after (especially since it has a greater risk of side effects.) Another option is laser+subcision+filler - the filler will replicate some of the suction you would do.

Unfortunately I doubt you'll get a 75% improvement unless you have a very specific type of scars. I hope you do though.

Personally speaking if I was starting from scratch all over again, I would do a few sessions of subcision+suction and then do a few sessions of fractional co2 and possibly a couple of excisions/tca cross in between.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/19/2015 11:51 am

No reason not to try a few sessions of sub+suc. first before doing the laser. It's a relatively cheap, quick and safe procedure. Can always do the laser after (especially since it has a greater risk of side effects.) Another option is laser+subcision+filler - the filler will replicate some of the suction you would do.

Unfortunately I doubt you'll get a 75% improvement unless you have a very specific type of scars. I hope you do though.

Personally speaking if I was starting from scratch all over again, I would do a few sessions of subcision+suction and then do a few sessions of fractional co2 and possibly a couple of excisions/tca cross in between.

I should reiterate that I would be willing to do 2++ rounds of Subcision+Total say in 2 years but ONLY if the additional rounds are discounted. I think most practices do that but that would be my main concern if I were to go and do treatment.

Filler does sound like a good idea and makes sense. Subcision + Laser would leave suctioning out where as Filler would take it's place and possibly enhance results. Thing is how would the doctor know where the scars are located with all the swelling. Unless I revisit in 3-4 weeks after swelling subsides. Another concern would be the filler hindering the healing proccess, messing with the collagen Total FX has started, unless you've seen opposite. Looool. So many questions i'll be sure to ask these.

Here's a Q I submitted on Realself: http://www.realself.com/question/san-diego-ca-classify-type-scarring-treat-acne-scars-practice-achieve-90-results

I know 90% sounds ridiculous but you never know!!!!

I do not have active acne except for the occasional white head or jaw pimple that never leave scars

Those pics are 6-7 months old. My skin looks much better after several microneedling,tca peelsand vbeam perfecta

I guess I do have 'severe' scarring. I always thought severe scarring looked like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=severe+acne+scarring&biw=1242&bih=615&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=mDW9VISRLJKKgwTTi4KABQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

I'll update you guys after my consultation

MemberMember
(@tothemoonandback)

Posted : 01/19/2015 12:15 pm

You don't have severe scarring. Acnr scars are categorized under different systems, but their extreme cases are 10x worse.

You can wait for the swelling to subside and then do fillers. Why don't you do that or is your doctor far away?

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/19/2015 12:35 pm

You don't have severe scarring. Acnr scars are categorized under different systems, but their extreme cases are 10x worse.

You can wait for the swelling to subside and then do fillers. Why don't you do that or is your doctor far away?

He's only 25 minutes away. I'd be willing to do filler only if it is prooven to enhance the results

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/19/2015 9:50 pm

We will see

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/20/2015 8:50 pm

Consultation tomorrow!!

MemberMember
(@russel)

Posted : 01/21/2015 1:18 am

Hows your progress?

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/21/2015 2:16 pm

Just came out of consultation with Dr. Goldman. He quoted me $3000 for full face Active & Fx on cheeks and temples. He was unwilling to do Subcision BC he said it would be pointless for my shallow scars. Despite showing him the clinical papers. He said he only performs that in conjunction with Laser when scars are severely depressed. He also reccomended me to start using salt acid as a face wash or the clarisonic for sun damage and bacteria. I asked the assistant to see if he could get the price down to $2000.

He said he would talk to Goldman and call me back later. Dr. also mentioned that followup treatments are 50% off and said that they usually are not needed.

My dumbself forgot to ask for before and afers.

He did say that I would get 50% improvement with one treatment and 75% with the nextnext after 6++ months. He claims most doctors don't know how to use it correctly thus bad results.

Doctor was straight to the point.

I will only proceed if he gets the price down to 2000. BC 1000 followup is very reasonable.

If not I will consult with another Deep Fx Dr. In the area or a MedSpa.

MemberMember
(@tothemoonandback)

Posted : 01/21/2015 7:16 pm

I hope my doctor doesn't tell me that he performs subcision only in combination with lasers when I see him, because the appointment costs $200 unless I get a procedure done within 30days.

He performs subcisions a lot. It's clearly stated on his website that he does. He's also quite active on RealSelf and Is a professor of clinical dermatology. I doubt it that he will deny me the procedure, because we spoke on the phone and he assured me that he will do Magic without lasers. Since I have to wait for almost a year because of accutane I hope he hasn't forgotten what he told me...

Can't wait to see the 75% improvement!

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/21/2015 7:48 pm

Y

I hope my doctor doesn't tell me that he performs subcision only in combination with lasers when I see him, because the appointment costs $200 unless I get a procedure done within 30days.
He performs subcisions a lot. It's clearly stated on his website that he does. He's also quite active on RealSelf and Is a professor of clinical dermatology. I doubt it that he will deny me the procedure, because we spoke on the phone and he assured me that he will do Magic without lasers. Since I have to wait for almost a year because of accutane I hope he hasn't forgotten what he told me...
Can't wait to see the 75% improvement!

Your skin looks gorgeous. I personally can't see any scars on your skin but it's probably very noticeable to you and that's all that matters. Edit: I see some Rolling scars. I think subcision+suction will work fine. Not need for lasers. Make sure you show him the clinical papers I posted. The reason I'm going for laser is b/c I have scars scattered on my cheeks and temples and it just seems reasonable for my skin. May I ask who's your doctor? I'd love to find a Dr that states that he can 'do magic without lasers'. Unfortunately Southern California is plagued with Laser cuffed dermatologist and since there's demand for them - people willing to pay top dollar to look young - they will keep patronizing & supplying it. I'm sure Lasers give results tho. That's why I am going for it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-cities-interested-in-plastic-surgery-2014-2 - Mighty San Diego

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/21/2015 8:19 pm

Assistant called back and told me he was able to get the price down to $1600 + Operating room fee of $500 so $2100. 2nd Would be 800 + $500 so $1300. He just emailed me this: http://imgur.com/grKII8U

He also reiterated that the Doctor would perform Deep FX on deep scars and Active on not so deep scars. In other words, No layer & forehead is not included.

Err...wasn't it supposed to be layered...? I feel if I were to go in he would spot treat with both lasers..not what I want. :/

Considering just going subcision route and continue microneedling + tca peels...Much cheaper...