Clear all

Elevated Blood Result

MemberMember
(@mjkate)

Posted : 01/10/2015 12:58 am

I am on my first month of isotretinoin:

1-15 days: 10mg twice a day

16-36 days: 20mg once a day

And now, I have this blood result that will be shown to my derma tomorrow (11 Jan 2015):

SGOT; Normal range: 0-31 u/L = Result: 53.47 U/L

SGPT: Normal range: 0-31 u/L = Result: 148.49 U/L

Cholesterol: Normal: up to 5.2 mmol/L = Result: 5.42 mmol/L

**test done twice**

Although, this is said to be the side effect and solicited, I am scared of what might be the next results if I take this as long term. I am prescribed by my derma doctor of 20mg/day for 11 months [(Start weight= 48KG) (Projected end date: Nov 2015)]. My diet is as tolerated, I am eating lesser rice and drinking a lot of water. I am seeing less to no acne than before, less oiliness on my face - I still want to continue but if this will surely be the cause of my health risks, I will stop this.

Side effects experienced for this month:

Back and neck pain for almost a week

Dry lips

Dry eyes

Itching extremities

My questions are, I need your opinion:

1. On my blood results, is the elevation (damage) for life or just until the medication stops?

2. And for how long will this damage continue if I am able to complete the isotretinoin?

3. Are thre any alternative that I can take to lessen the elevation while on the meds perhaps antioxidant or something?

4. I am not planning to be pregnant anytime soon but, after isotretinoin use, how long should I be isotretinoin-free before I get pregnant?

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 01/10/2015 1:10 am

And now, I have this blood result that will be shown to my derma tomorrow (11 Jan 2015):

**test done twice**

Although, this is said to be the side effect and solicited, I am scared of what might be the next results if I take this as long term. I am prescribed by my derma doctor of 20mg/day for 11 months [(Start weight= 48KG) (Projected end date: Nov 2015)]. My diet is as tolerated, I am eating lesser rice and drinking a lot of water. I am seeing less to no acne than before, less oiliness on my face - I still want to continue but if this will surely be the cause of my health risks, I will stop this.

Dry lips

Dry eyes

Itching extremities

1. On my blood results, is the elevation (damage) for life or just until the medication stops?

2. And for how long will this damage continue if I am able to complete the isotretinoin?

3. Are thre any alternative that I can take to lessen the elevation while on the meds perhaps antioxidant or something?

4. I am not planning to be pregnant anytime soon but, after isotretinoin use, how long should I be isotretinoin-free before I get pregnant?

Thank you!

1. Oh Goodness no, your levels won't stay elevated when you come off the medication, the worry is if the levels are too high for too long you could suffer liver damage, it's just best to not let it get out of hand. Believe me, your dermatologist will be the first one to let you know if he/she suggests you coming off of it. Stay in close communication with him/her.

2. Usually the levels go back down in the second month, so when you get your next blood test you should actually see them stabilize, this is normal for many users that go on accutane. Again, make sure you have good communication with your derm on the subject!

3. The only thing you could do is avoid ingesting harsh chemical substances that could stress the body/liver. Avoid all alcohol and recreational drugs, and eating healthy and remaining as stress free as possible couldn't hurt either!

4. Ipledge requires you to pass a pregnancy test 1 month before AND after you start/discontinue accutane.. Personally I would recommend 1-3 months of being off the drug before getting pregnant... better to be safe when it comes to kids!

I hoped this helped! (:

MemberMember
(@mjkate)

Posted : 01/10/2015 1:48 am

Thank you!

**test done twice**

Dry lips

Dry eyes

Itching extremities

Thank you!

1. Oh Goodness no, your levels won't stay elevated when you come off the medication, the worry is if the levels are too high for too long you could suffer liver damage, it's just best to not let it get out of hand. Believe me, your dermatologist will be the first one to let you know if he/she suggests you coming off of it. Stay in close communication with him/her.

2. Usually the levels go back down in the second month, so when you get your next blood test you should actually see them stabilize, this is normal for many users that go on accutane. Again, make sure you have good communication with your derm on the subject!

3. The only thing you could do is avoid ingesting harsh chemical substances that could stress the body/liver. Avoid all alcohol and recreational drugs, and eating healthy and remaining as stress free as possible couldn't hurt either!

4. Ipledge requires you to pass a pregnancy test 1 month before AND after you start/discontinue accutane.. Personally I would recommend 1-3 months of being off the drug before getting pregnant... better to be safe when it comes to kids!

I hoped this helped! (:

Thank you! I'll let you know when I have the Derma advise tomorrow. :) I am glad I have a positive response on this. I am really scared about this elevation and and the lifelong damages it could cause me. I'll seek iPledge about it, I am from the Philippines.

Thank you so much!