Notifications
Clear all

Which Health Problem Could Be Aggravating My Acne?

MemberMember
(@heinstar)

Posted : 01/09/2015 10:18 pm

So I've always had acne since I was a teenager. I first started getting cystic acne when I turned 16. I continued to get cystic acne even after turning 18 so I went to see a doctor and I got prescribed 200mg minocycline for 6 months to control my acne. After stopping Minocycline, I didnt get that much cystic acne from the age of 19 - 21 even when I was eating unhealthy and rarely washing my face.
But when I turned 21, I've developed IBS-C, Gastritis, Acid Reflux, Impacted colon, Redundant colon, Unusually long and floppy colon, Slow colonic transit and Rectal prolapse.
This is what happened to me when I turned 21 in 2012:
End of February:
- Food poisoning from sushi. I bought a takeaway sushi(Salmon roe) that was for sale since the restaurant was about to close. Two hours later, I started feeling queasy in the stomach and then threw up.
Mid March:
- had an accident at work and caused many damages. I was in extreme stress and anxiety for 30 minutes. I was tensing my stomach really hard in response to the stress.
Before 10th of May:
- drank between 30 ml - 70 ml of 8 month old bottle of unrefrigerated, previously opened red wine that was stored sideways in a hot room and the liquid was touching the aluminium lid. I realised that the red wine tasted sour like a vinegar and within 5 minutes of drinking it, I started getting intense burning upper abdominal pain which lasted for 10 minutes.
10th of May:
- I started getting abdominal pain after eating baked beans with eggs so I went to the doctor saying that I think I have IBS after telling him that I'm experiencing abdominal pain after eating and constipation and I got prescribed antispasmodic medication(Buscopan Forte) for 3 weeks.
- The medication only temporary treated my abdominal pain during the day and the pain came back as soon as the medication weaned off. While on the medication, I started straining a lot in the toilet in a squatting position due to constipation. And while straining, I felt my lower abdomen physically drop down and at the same time 3 cm of my rectum popped out. It wouldn't go back in so I had to push it back in using my finger. This was when I've developed rectal prolapse.
13th of May:
- After developing rectal prolpapse, all of my symptoms worsened significantly. I started getting severe constipation, tenesmus, mucous discharge and abdominal pain whenever I ate food. I went back to the doctor and I was told to get 3 days worth of stool samples to test for parasites.
9th of June:
- I drank a sip of carbonated drink which caused my lower abdomen to suddenly become bloated like a balloon for 5 minutes. It was extremely painful that I thought my colon was going to explode. But after 5 minutes, the gas escaped somewhere and the inflation subsided. But I'm afraid my lower abdomen might have been damaged from this incident. This could be the cause of my floppy, thin redundant colon.
10th of June:
- The result for the stool sample to test for parasites in stool came back negative. So I had X-ray of my abdomen.
24th of June:
- The X-ray showed that I had impacted colon and I was put on stimulant laxatives(5mg Bisalax).
Until 22nd of August:
- I continued to get constipation without stimulant laxatives and abdominal pain after eating. For the next 2 months, no matter how many times I went to the doctor for my abdominal pain after eating, they continued to just prescribe me stimulant laxatives.
This is how much stimulant laxatives I've taken overall:
Bisalax 5MG (Took a total of 52 tablets):
- 42 tablets within 3 weeks(2 tablets every night) when I was first prescribed
- 10 tablets(1 - 2 tablets at night) occasionally when I became incompetent.
Coloxyl and Sena 8mg Senoside (Took a total of 40 tablets):
- 30 tablets in 2 1/2 weeks(2 tablets every morning and night)
- 10 tablets(2 - 4 tablets a day) used occasionally after been prescribed a second bottle.
22nd of August:
- Got fed up with doctors from the first hospital not doing anything about my abdominal pain after eating so I went to a different hospital. With the new doctor from the different hospital, I was put on Nexium(PPI) for 8 weeks and Psyllium husk. The PPI finally cured the upper abdominal pain that I've been having shortly after eating solid foods like biscuits. The doctor suspected that I had Gastritis because I was tested negative for Peptic Ulcer via blood test(although it's possible that it was healed by then) and Urea test(breath test) came back negative. I continued to get no bowel movements for up to 3 days or more even with psyllium husk so I had to rely on stimulant laxatives or coffee to get bowel movements. After the second X-ray with the new doctor, it showed that I was starting to get constipation again. When I asked the doctor why, he said that my colon had simply stopped working for some reason.
24th of October:
- Had a Colonoscopy with a biopsy. The Colonoscopy report said that I had poor bowel tone with a degree of floppiness which could be the explanation of my constipation. The biopsy report showed that I had self-limiting colitis.
November:
- Diagnosed with IBS-C, Redundant colon and Slow Colonic Transit after Colonoscopy. The Gastroenterologist told me that my colon was abnormally long and thin/floppy for my age. He initially thought I had Sigmoid Vulvulus because during the Colonoscopy, my colon had flopped to one side which made it look like it was twisted. So he made me get an CT Scan to see if I truely have Sigmoid Vuvulus. He said my colon was similar to that of an elderlies.
- White powder came out of the bottle lid from the Ethical Nutrients IBS Support Probiotic and it was covering the capsules. I didn't realise there was a white powder until I swallowed the capsule with it and gave me an agonising stomach pain[1][2].
May 2013:
- had CT Scan which showed no structural problem other than the redundant colon.
- had defecography which showed no structrual problem with my abodomen other than the rectal prolapse.
- had surgery for rectal prolapse which cured constipation, tenesmus and mucous discharge.
2015 Present symptoms:
- Tenesmus, mucous discharge and difficulty defecating had been cured after Rectal prolapse surgery.
- Post rectal surgery: I often get sharp rectal pain after an intense exercise.
- Post rectal surgery: Whenever I get anxious or stressed, I often feel an uncomfortable tension in my rectum. This is affecting me a lot because I need to have some stress and anxiety in my life. I could ask my surgeon if there's anything he could do but I'm pessimistic about it.
- I often become bloated after eating foods like onions, dairy, excessive spices etc.
- I don't get constipation anymore, but I often get a Pellet stool if I don't eat enough fibre. I have to eat a lot more fibre than a normal person to get a consistent soft stool. This is probably due to either my slow transit or redundant colon.
- I rarely burp/belch now even after eating a big meal which could be a sign that there's a problem with my stomach valves.
- I often get Acid reflux after eating a big meal and while exercising.
Looking back, I think the cause of my Gastritis and IBS was from either:
- Food poisoning from takeaway sushi which caused me to vomit 3 months prior to getting IBS symptoms
- Very stressful accident at work which made me tense my stomach really hard for 30 minutes a month prior to getting IBS symproms
- Drinking 8 months old, previously opened, unrefrigerated red wine that was stored sideways in a hot room and the liquid was touching the aluminium lid. Realising that the red wine tasted like vinegar and within 5 minutes after drinking 30 - 100ml, giving me an intense burning upper abdominal pain for 10 minutes a week prior to getting IBS symptoms
And I think my floppy, thin redundant colon was caused from impacted colon/chronic constipation, drinking old red wine, painful gas inflation or when I developed rectal prolapse while straining in the toilet and resulting in feeling my lower abdomen dropping down.
After developing gut problems, I became concerned about my general health. So Ive been tested for thyroid disorder, diabetes, celiac diease, nutrient levels and liver enzymes. Everything was normal except for my ALT levels which were slightly high which I think was due to me drinking too much coffee and feeling nauseous few months prior. Although I seem to have no illnesses, there's a possiblity that I might have prediabetes/hypoglycemia because I oftem feel light-headed/dizzy after eating sugary drinks/foods.
Although I've already had a Colonoscopy, I haven't had an Endoscopy yet. So I don't know if there's any problems with my stomach or my upper G.I. tract. I could get an Endoscopy to see if there's anything wrong with my stomach and what could be causing my Acid reflux. Is it worth having an Endoscopy? Again, I'm pessimistic about having tests like Endoscopy, because even if they find out that I have damaged stomach vavles, there's not much they're going to do about it.
One of the main reason why I want to fix my gut health is because my acne has gotten worse significantly ever since I've developed these intestinal conditions.
I've already been the dermatologist and I got prescribed 20mg Accutane for 6 months. But I had to stop taking it after 5 days due to not been able to cope with the severe side effects which were depression, mental fog and fatigue. So I'm now on 100mg Doxycycline which seems to be working. However, I dont want to rely on it Antibiotics forever(especially since I already have less optimal gut) and it's not tackling the root cause of my acne which is my gut issues.
So do you think my acne is just all hereditary and caused by my acne-prone skin/hyperkeratinization/hormonal imbalance? Or are my health problems aggravating my acne? Could you help me guide through which health issues I should start looking into/getting tested for that could be aggravating my acne? Many thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reckless things that I did in the past which I regret and might have caused my health problems: http://goo.gl/FkS4kZ
Colonoscopy, CT Scan report and Biopsy: http://goo.gl/prKZnF
My skin now after developing G.I. issues(it can get a lot worse than this): http://goo.gl/Ubgpz7
My skin 4 years ago before I had G.I. issues: http://goo.gl/6gfgTb
Blood test results for thyroid disease, nutrient deficiency, diabetes, celiac disease, liver enzymes etc: http://heinstar.imgur.com/all/
MemberMember
(@heinstar)

Posted : 01/14/2015 11:15 pm

I talked to the doctor today and he doesn't think I have a low stomach acid problem. He said it's quite normal to have indigestion from capsicum especially if you don't chew them properly and it's also quite normal to feel heaviness in the stomach for up to half an hour especially after a big meal. So I probably have a Damaged gastroesophageal sphincter.
For my Acid reflux, he suggested treating it with 20mg Omeprazole Sandoz(PPI). I've mentioned hearing online that the common cause of Acid reflux is actually low stomach acid and that the treatment is Betaine HCI or Apple Cider Vinegar. But he said he never heard of that kind of treatment and they aren't medically accepted and I shouldn't believe everything from the internet.
I wanted to have the Heidelberg test done. But to do that, I'd need to see a Gastroenterologist and even then, he's not sure if I'll be able to have it. I was hoping that it would be quick and easy to get my stomach acid levels tested but apparantly it's not.
My only concern with PPI is that they inhibit nutrient absorption so I'm not sure if I want to take it.
MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 01/16/2015 2:39 pm

Just do the fecal transplant imo and maintain your diet - possibly minus the oats.

I would say your health problems are almost certainly causing or aggravating your acne.

MemberMember
(@heinstar)

Posted : 01/16/2015 8:26 pm

Just do the fecal transplant imo and maintain your diet - possibly minus the oats.

I would say your health problems are almost certainly causing or aggravating your acne.

I wish I could have the fecal transplant, but I don't think it's that easy. Just like it's not easy to have the Heidelberg test done. Does fecal transplant provide more benefits than VSL#3 though?

I believe the most likely cause of my aggravated acne is due my leaky gut. After the colonoscopy, I was diagnosed with elongated colon with slow colonic transit. The gastroenterologist told me that my colon was unusually thin and floppy for my age and it was like that of an elderies. It was so floppy that my colon had flipped to one side during a colonoscopy which mistaked my gastroenterologist to think that I had sigmoid vulvulus. I believe that this thin, floppy colon is what's causing my leaky gut and aggravating my acne. I asked him if I could remove part of my colon that's elongated but he said that's not possible. I know I still have Slow Transit because my stool is often hard and round whenever I don't eat enough fibre.

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 01/16/2015 8:35 pm

If you keep feeling pain after eating certain foods, you've probably developed food sensitivities. I have some digestive issues myself, and my food sensitivity results come back with me being able to eat certain foods. All the foods I didn't react to were high in fiber or metallic minerals. This helps with digestion. You might wanna test for food sensitivities, because Laxatives rarely solve people's problems. Especially since you were prescribed laxatives.

MemberMember
(@kutenaigirl)

Posted : 01/21/2015 6:43 pm

Wow. Sounds like you have had a really rough go of it. Acne is highly related to problems in the gut. I have never had an acne client who did not also have gut issues. The gut is the mothership of the body. Problems in the gut can manifest to any symptom in the body, including acne.

You need to embark on a very serious gut healing regimen. I would recommend getting a food intolerance test, a test for leaky gut and a good pathogen screen. Many pathogen screens are notoriously unreliable as pathogens do not show up every day. So if the test u were given was only a one day stool sample, there is a good chance you had a false negative. Biohealth Laboratory currently has the most comprehensive pathogen screen on the market. It's called the 401H.

For gut healing, I generally recommend a Paleo style diet. This means removing grains, dairy and legumes (they are extremely irritating to the gut). You may want to seek the help of someone who is experienced in these sorts of things. Gut healing is tricky but completely possible. I have seen many clients resolve their chronic digestive problems.

There was a recent online summit called the Digestive Sessions. Mod edit Lots fo experts talking about this topic. I think it's pretty inexpensive to order it. You shoould check it out if you need more information on gut healing.

Good luck and let me know if I can support you in any way!

MemberMember
(@heinstar)

Posted : 01/26/2015 1:24 am

Here's what Ive been doing.
Possible cause/aggravation of acne:
Bad colony of P.Acnes bacteria on the skin (inherited, no treatment)
Skin is sensitive to Acne aggravating hormones (inherited, no treatment)
Strong immune response to P.Acnes bacteria on the skin (inherited, no treatment)
Hyperkeratinization (inherited, no treatment)
Skin deficient in linoleic acid (inherited, no treatment)
Low stomach acid > Indigestion > Intestinal bacteria overgrowth > Leaky gut/Intestinal Permeability > Systemic Inflammation?
Elongated, Floppy, Thin colon > Leaky gut/Intestinal Permeability > Systemic Inflammation?
Slow Transit Colon > Leaky gut/Intestinal Permeability > Systemic Inflammation?
Hiatus hernia > Acid reflux > Systemic Inflammation?
IBS > Systemic Inflammation?
Food Sensitivity/Intolerance > Systemic Inflammation?
Thyroid/Other autoimmune disorder > Systemic Inflammation?
Insulin resistance > Systemic Inflammation?
Diverticulosis > Systemic Inflammation?
Things to try:
Get sufficient levels of essential nutrients for skin everyday(Vitamin A, C, D, E, Zinc, Omega-3) from food or supplement
Eat healthy vegetables to reduce Systemic inflammation
Drink high quality Green tea to reduce Systemic inflammation - I drink Japanse sencha(Kagoshima Sencha Yutaka Midori) from o-cha.com
Reduce Caffeine intake from coffee
Eat low Glycemic Index Diet to reduce Systemic inflammation
Eat low Carb Diet to reduce Systemic inflammation - I don't think I can go low carb since I need energy from carbs to function.
Drink filtered water instead of hard water/tap water - I'm drinking Pureau Pure water
Take high strength Probiotics - I'm taking VSL#3
Avoid Wheat, Grain and Gluten containing food - I need to stop eating oats
Avoid nightshade vegetables to heal Leaky gut - I'm still researching if that's necessary because I like eating nightshades and I don't have any issues digesting them.
L.Glutamine to heal Leaky gut - I'm too scared to take it so I'll consider it later when I know the mechanism of the chemical.
Bone Broth to heal Leaky gut
Betaine HCI/Apple Cider Vinegar to treat possible low stomach acid - I'm too scared to take it so I'll consider it later when I know the mechanism of the chemical.
Digestive Enzymes - I've tried it and it helped with the digestion but I can already digest food without it
Food sensitivity/intolerance test
After looking up food sensitivity test, it seems like theyre not medically proven and expensive but Ill see if I can have it done anyway.
As for pathogen screen, I dont think I need to have it done. Because I've already had 3 days worth of stool test done twice as well as Urea breath test done 3 years ago when I first started getting stomach problems and they both came back as negative. And since it's been 3 years, I doubt I still have any infections. Although it's possible that I may have Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth though.
I feel like the most likely cause of my aggravated acne is due my leaky gut. After the colonoscopy, I was diagnosed with elongated colon with slow colonic transit. The gastroenterologist told me that my colon was unusually thin and floppy for my age and it was like that of an elderies. It was so floppy that my colon had flipped to one side during a colonoscopy which mistaked my gastroenterologist to think that I had sigmoid vulvulus. I believe that this thin, floppy colon is what's causing my leaky gut and aggravating my acne. I asked him if I could remove part of my colon that's elongated but he said that's not possible. I know I still have Slow Transit because my stool is often hard and round whenever I don't eat enough fibre.
Heres what Ive been eating, drinking and supplementing. I'm still tweaking my diet to make sure it's healthy and nutritious as possible and easy on my digestive system.
Vegetable: steamed Red Capsicum, Carrots, Tomato, Broccoli, Kale, Asparagus and Sweet Potato
Protein: Chicken breast, Beef, Lamb, Pork, Free range Eggs, Salmon(three times a week).
Complex carbs/Resistant Starch:
- Sweet Potato.
- I'm trying to avoid eating oats but I always end up eating oats with organic brown rice milk and little bit of honey 2 - 3 times a day since it's the best source of energy for me and I have trouble sleeping at night without eating Oats.
Fruits - Kiwi fruit, Grape Fruit, Pawpaw
Supplements: 100mg Doxycycline in the morning(for my acne), Probiotic(VSL#3) at night, Viva Labs 1250mg Krill oil and 1000UI Vitamin D3 with a meal
Caffeine:
Dark roast Coffee - I know coffee is bad for acne and the gut but it's one thing I just can't live without.
High quality Japanese Sencha(Kagoshima Sencha Yutaka Midori) from o-cha.com - I heard that ECGC may help reduce acne.
Foods I negatively react to:
Onions(even when cooked) - causes bloating
Cow's milk and dairy - hard on my stomach and digestion
Sugary sweets/drinks - causes dizziness/light-headedness and bloody stool
Yogurt - gave me bloody stools a couple of times
Mayonnaise - uneasiness in stomach
Beans and Lentils - doesn't sit in my stomach very well
MemberMember
(@heinstar)

Posted : 02/17/2015 9:02 pm

I have good news. I barely have gotten cystic acne in the past 3 weeks even after going to the gym which usually breaks me out with cysts the next day. And as a result, my scars are healing and my skin is starting to look clearer as well. I think its because Ive been eating vegetables a lot more frequently. Out of all the vegetables, I think mainly cruciferous vegetables like Kale and Broccoli is helping the most. Im not entirely sure if my acne can be completely under control through diet alone yet since I'm still occasionally taking Doxycycline and applying 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide on my face every night.

My reduction in acne from high intake of vegetables further suggests that my acne is been caused by the chronic systemic inflammation coming from my gut since its probably the anti-inflammatory chemicals in the vegetables thats reducing my acne.

Im not sure which part of my gut issues are causing the chronic systemic inflammation though. It could be coming from my possible Leaky gut(since the gastroenterologist told me after the colonoscopy that my colon was unusually long, thin and floppy for my age and it was like that of an elderlies colon) or it could be coming from small round and hard stool that I frequently get due to my slow colonic transit/redundant colon. It could also be coming from Acid reflux that I get after eating a big meal. I also have a feeling that a certain part of my colon doesnt have as much motility anymore due to it been damaged from severe constipation/painful gas inflation incident that I had in the past.

So although high intake of vegetables are helping me control my cystic acne, Im only treating the symptom and not the cause. Unfortunately, I dont think its possible to fix the cause since from what I understand, slow colonic transit, floppy and thin colon, redundant colon and damaged colon motility are all chronic conditions and cannot be cured through surgery or medicine.

Also, ever since Ive developed these intestinal conditions, I feel like my IQ and EQ had dropped by 5 - 10 %. People say that your IQ doesnt change over your lifetime but I definitely feel a lot less smarter than I used to be before I had digestive problems. I now get tired more easily, I dont have as much energy as I used to have, I have less tolerance to stress and anxiety, I dont like socialising anymore etc. Im guessing its got something to do with disturbance in brain-gut connection as well as less optimal gut flora.

Update:

I've officially put my severe acne into permanent remission after juicing vegetables few times a week. I no longer have to rely on Doxycyline/Minocycline or Benzoyl Peroxide to control my cystic acne anymore. I can even sleep on my dirty pillow without worrying about getting acne the next morning. And I can go to the gym frequently now since I no longer get breakouts from the sweat. As long as I keep juicing, my skin seems to stay completely clear. In fact, it seems to be working better than Accutane, Antibiotics and Benzoyl Peroxide combined!

Why didn't any of my doctors or dermatologist tell me this if they're so called "expert" at treating acne? If I knew something as simple as juicing would cure my acne, I wouldn't even have agreed to take Accutane and risk damaging my brain and body... In fact, I feel like my cognition and personality has slightly changed and I don't feel the same anymore after taking Accutane. I deeply regret taking Accutane and I wish I hadn't.

I knew that the inflammations from my gut were the cause of my acne and I was right all along. This is the reason why I don't trust the doctors, their priority is to push drugs down our throat so that they get money in their pockets and they could are less about other safer alternatives even if it's just as effective.

MemberMember
(@coequalhill)

Posted : 05/02/2015 12:54 am

I think you need to do a fecal transplant at home and get some of the good bacteria back that has been wiped out from all the antibiotics you've taken. Checkout power of poop website. I've done an at home transplant and the results so far have been amazing. My guts issues are gone, pooping is on schedule and bouts of constipation and diarrhea are over. My skin is clearing and I feel so much better both emotionally and cognitively

Heinstar liked