Notifications
Clear all

Combo Skin, No Dry Skin But After Applying Foundation, Skin Looks Like It's Peeling Or Dead Skin?

MemberMember
(@nichola222)

Posted : 01/09/2015 6:32 am

Hi.

I'm new to this site but just looking for any tips if anyone wants to share !

This feels like its gunny be a lot to explain but al make a start anyway..

So, I've been using Paula's choice products since September last year so just over 4 months. I use the:

skin balancing cleanser am and pm,

The hydralight toner, the hydralight moisture lotion and the BHA 2 % liquid (daily at night).

I've been using the BHA liquid for over 4 months at night only and I love it. I wouldn't say I have acne, I just had clogged congest pores blackheads and some closed comedies on my chin. But my clogged pores have definitely improved and my skin is very smooth etc since using the BHA. I haven't worn makeup in over a year, as it's very hard to get a pale foundation to match. My skin is combination, oily t zone normalish cheeks .

The BHA never caused any reaction to my skin, never burned peeled etc and my skin always looks great when I waken up in the morning. I'm confident without foundation in my skin.

However this past few weeks I've tried a bobbi brown foundation-long wear cream compact, also the mufe mat velvet which cause my skin to burn and the illamasqua skin base which matches perfectly in shade 2 and the Charlotte tilbury foundation (quite dewy)which showed no problem on my skin unlike the first 3 foundations.

Now the problem: when I apply foundation my skin looks terrible, it's hard to describe it's like there's scaly/dry pieces off skin all over that u could literally peel off with ur nail. This IS NOT noticeable when I apply my moisturiser ONLY WHEN I APPLY THE FOUNDATIONS. My skin is not dry at all .. So confusing, so today I went to the illamasqua counter and the girl tried the skin base foundation on one side over the hydra veil and on the other on top of a matte veil base product. And she saw the problem and she had to ask her colleague as she never saw this on anyone else using this particular foundation. She explained to the colleague and she said dry skin but the other girl said my skin was oily and she told the other woman I exfoliate once daily chemically so the other woman came to the conclusion that it's DEAD SKIN. She said I shouldn't exfoliate daily only 2 times a week etc which I don't agree with.

My skin never looks like it's peeling or like there's dead skin on the surface before any foundation is applied .. So confused as I don't have dry skin.

I have no adverse reactions to the BHA liquid, I love it and it makes my skin great, the first girl said my skin looks so good before application and the other said I don't need the exfoliant daily because I don't have acne.

But I like to use it to keep my pores unclogged.

I'm so confused as my skin looks great with no makeup and it's combination, not flaky it's just after foundation it looks LIKE DEAD SKIN THAT FLAKES OFF.

I really don't want to stop the BHA, has anyone got any advice?

It would really be appreciated. Does anyone think using the Paula's choice AHA WOULD HELP? If so how could I incorporate that?

Thanks again for any advice

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 01/12/2015 8:53 am

I have been kind of having this problem too lately. Nothing too severe, but the dry patches of skin have been noticeable when I apply make-up. My solution was a very good thick moisturizer when I went to bed. My usual moisturizer wasn't cutting it so I started using Cetaphil cream at night and within a week my skin started to look good underneath my foundation. My foundation is also very very watery. I use the laura mercier smooth finish flawless fluide and it is easy blendable so I would notice if dry patches were still there but I haven;t had any since I switched.

MemberMember
(@joan-crawn)

Posted : 12/17/2015 6:06 pm

I have very fair, sensitive, dry skin (and maybe the beginnings of rosacea). I started wearing less foundation and using the Somaluxe Face Cleanser to wash off my foundation. Its the only face cleanser I have found that really gets my foundation off - AND I starting getting compliments on my skin. This is what I do:
1. I take off my mascara with the Somaluxe Face Cleanser
2. Rinse face with warm water.
From other reviews, I then massage my face with the cleanser for 30-60 seconds. Skin feels nice not tight.I am 40+ and everyone says I look 30 !
MemberMember
(@dittus)

Posted : 01/02/2016 7:05 pm

I think you do have dry skin. How does your skin look before applying moisturizer? Like if you waited 20-30 minutes after cleansing (that's usually about the time your skin starts to balance out after cleansing)?

I completely agree with that lady that you should NOTexfoliate daily, chemically or physically. You alsoreally don't need to, your pores will not clogin a day and you won't look older. I never exfoliate more than twice a week chemically,andrarely exfoliate physicallyunless my skin is peeling for some reason.
The excessive use of chemical exfoliators (I know this from experience unfortunately)does exactly what you described. It makes your skin shed in small flakes. It also makes your skin thinner, moresensitive and red (imitating rosacea symptoms)sosome products would make it burn.

Your skin might not feel tight or show signs of peelingwhen you are just about done with your cleansing and putting on moisturizer, because you've just been "watering" it and putting on oil.A lot ofnew foundations are made with "oil balancing" formulas, sowhen you put themon, it probably soaks up some of the oil in your moisturizer, making the dryness more apparent.