Notifications
Clear all

How Does The Process Work To Acquire Accutane?

MemberMember
(@odysseus)

Posted : 01/07/2015 9:18 pm

Hello,

I have a really silly question but, how do you get it? I am hoping to get prescribed Accutane by my dermatologist tomorrow, so I was wondering how the process works for us male types because all I can find on here is how it works for the ladies.. haha. I know you have to get a blood test and all that, but I am hoping to start the regimen as soon as possible, so when would I actually start taking the dosages? Thanks so much guys, y'all rock and I hope everyone's acne stays away forever

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 01/08/2015 10:23 am

I believe the process is slightly easier in the beginning because you won't have to wait the month to make sure you aren't pregnant.

It should be meet with the doctor, go get blood work, and then after they get the bloodwork back they will call in or give you a prescription. You will then have to go to iPledge to answer questions. Once that's done the pharmacy can fill the prescription and you have 5 days to get it filled. 5 days only. one minute past and they won't fill it. Don't mess around picking it up!

MemberMember
(@legomom)

Posted : 01/08/2015 12:01 pm

Some dermatologists like to mess treat acne with other methods first, to see if it responds to those therapies. Topicals, antibiotics, etc.

I personally spent 10 YEARS trying all that stuff.

Finally finding a derm who would treat me with Accutane was such a relief!

Sometimes you just have to get a 2nd opinion, and even a 3rd.

I hope you get it, if you need it. There's not a blood test to see if you can take it, rather you will have your blood tested WHILE you are taking it, to make sure you aren't taxing your liver.

The I Pledge stuff in the USA is just a form.

You fill it out and take it to the pharmacy and that's it.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 01/08/2015 6:37 pm

Some dermatologists like to mess treat acne with other methods first, to see if it responds to those therapies. Topicals, antibiotics, etc.

I personally spent 10 YEARS trying all that stuff.

Finally finding a derm who would treat me with Accutane was such a relief!

Sometimes you just have to get a 2nd opinion, and even a 3rd.

I hope you get it, if you need it. There's not a blood test to see if you can take it, rather you will have your blood tested WHILE you are taking it, to make sure you aren't taxing your liver.

The I Pledge stuff in the USA is just a form.

You fill it out and take it to the pharmacy and that's it.

Good luck!

In the US, iPledge is actually a website where you have to take a test every single month before the pharmacy can dispense the drug. You have a card the pharmacy will keep on file and once they get your prescription the pharmacy they will check ipledge to see if you did your part. If you did they can fill it. Last month I forgot to do ipledge and the pharmacy called to remind me.

I also messed with so many alternative treatments that never worked. I really wish I started the tane sooner. do

MemberMember
(@acnestuggle17)

Posted : 01/08/2015 7:32 pm

30 days! lots of things are required (unfortunately!), like 'ipledge', pregnancy tests, birth control, blood tests, etc! I'm in my waiting period right now and its torture! good luck on the medication :)

MemberMember
(@legomom)

Posted : 01/08/2015 10:06 pm

Im on it now and I havent had to do any of that stuff except sign the form and take a liver test every 3 months. Im female, but past menopause so I'm basically like a male in the system. I think you only have to wait if you're female, child bearing age.