Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Dosage Formula

MemberMember
(@marilyn414)

Posted : 01/06/2015 10:49 pm

Hi all! I see a lot of you talking about Accutane dosage strengths and how long you have to take a drug at each level. What is the magical formula? I want to take the lowest strength possible of Absorica since I am very sensitive to medication. I am 130 lbs. I started today at 30mg/day. My doc wants to bump me up to 60 in a couple of weeks but that seems too strong. Your input is greatly appreciated!

MemberMember
(@jj)

Posted : 01/07/2015 2:48 am

Hey,

Target cumulative dosage is typically 120 - 150mg/kg. At 130 pounds you weigh approx 59kg. So your range would be between (120 x 59) and (150 x 59) = between 7080mg total (120mg/kg) and 8850 (150mg/kg). If you stayed on 30mg/day it would take you 236 days (almost 8 months) to reach 120mg/kg (7080/30) and 295 days (almost 10 months) to reach 150mg/kg (8850/30).

A lot of derms like to do 4 - 6 month courses, hence the higher dose of 60mg/kg.

Side effects are less on the lower doses, but your course will obviously last longer. I'd talk to your derm, do you think you could handle a bump to 40mg/day?

All the best

honey khan and Thp61 liked
MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 01/07/2015 3:41 pm

Hi again

I also weigh 130

My Dr wanted me to start on 40mg..but i wasnt comfy

So I started on 20mg for 2 weeks and bumped to 40mg after 2 weeks

NO huge difference...as long as I took the 20mg split into 2 doses (am and pm)

I swore I wouldnt go any higher as my Dr wanted me to bump to 60mg than 80mg asap btu yesterday i started 60mg

split 3 doses of 20mg each

This am my skin was peeling for the first time

Not sure where it will go from here but im anxious to get this stuff working and over with!

Good luck

kim

MemberMember
(@marilyn414)

Posted : 01/08/2015 1:08 pm

I feel like 40mg is the perfect dose for a female at my weight. I have a couple of friends who've taken it and they both couldn't handle the side effects at 60mg. I want to be able to keep with the drug and not create any bad side effects. I have GI issues and dry eyes already before taking this medicine, so I don't want to put too much pressure on my body.

Kim - keep us posted on how 60 is going. I know my derm is going to push me to bump up to 60 when I go see her in two weeks but I just don't know. I also don't want to be on this medicine for an eternity! Are you on Absorica? That's what I'm taking and I've read you don't have to take as much because it's so well absorbed. Not sure that can account for an entire 20mg less, but it's worth discussing...

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 01/08/2015 1:53 pm

Im on iso-something

>

LOL

u would htink I would know

I never thought i would give 60mg a try....BUt for some reason I just want it to work and get it over with!

Of course if side effects get ugly..Ill have to reconsider

I also dont want to look back with regret and know that I did all it could to get rid of this for once and for all!

so funny..at first thought i would take 20mg for over a year than 40mg for 8 mnths or so...now Im on 60mg

Only day #3...on 60..so time will tell :)

Kim

MemberMember
(@jamiii)

Posted : 01/08/2015 7:13 pm

I am also 130lbs and just started 40mg/once daily on 1/6/15. I haven't noticed any side effects yet but have been applying moisturizer liberally. Hope your treatment isn't as bad as some of the reviews I've read. My dr told me that after 3 months if my skin doesn't look better he can up the dosage but isn't making any calls yet. I never had any acne until I was 22 and stopped the depo provera birth control shot. my skin had random break out for about a year and then just an overwhelming amount on my lower jaw/chin area.. that is what lead me to accutane. hope it helps against this hormonal/confusing acne.

MemberMember
(@marilyn414)

Posted : 01/09/2015 11:45 am

Hi Jami! I started on 1/6, too! So far, so good. I have noticed that I'm having a bit of tummy trouble, but again I think it's my nerves and constantly thinking about this medicine. I'm going to stay the course. I'm taking 30mg once/day but want to bump up to 40 mg twice/day for the duration if I can. Really don't want to go higher than that.Your doctor sounds like he knows what he's doing. Keep us posted on your progress!

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 01/09/2015 12:27 pm

I am also 130lbs and just started 40mg/once daily on 1/6/15. I haven't noticed any side effects yet but have been applying moisturizer liberally. Hope your treatment isn't as bad as some of the reviews I've read. My dr told me that after 3 months if my skin doesn't look better he can up the dosage but isn't making any calls yet. I never had any acne until I was 22 and stopped the depo provera birth control shot. my skin had random break out for about a year and then just an overwhelming amount on my lower jaw/chin area.. that is what lead me to accutane. hope it helps against this hormonal/confusing acne.

Good luck!

Crazy its only been 3 days I jumped from 40mg to 60mg and really NO change or difference

ONLY issue I had was hands became red/rash....wasnt horrible but a little alarming

However once I started applying vaseline maybe 2-3x a day it has gone away about 95%

fingers crossed

some minor bumps but not a nasty IB like when I jumped from 20mg to 40mg

Good luck ladies!

kim

MemberMember
(@jamiii)

Posted : 01/20/2015 1:51 pm

Hi Jami! I started on 1/6, too! So far, so good. I have noticed that I'm having a bit of tummy trouble, but again I think it's my nerves and constantly thinking about this medicine. I'm going to stay the course. I'm taking 30mg once/day but want to bump up to 40 mg twice/day for the duration if I can. Really don't want to go higher than that.Your doctor sounds like he knows what he's doing. Keep us posted on your progress!

Good luck!

Crazy its only been 3 days I jumped from 40mg to 60mg and really NO change or difference

ONLY issue I had was hands became red/rash....wasnt horrible but a little alarming

However once I started applying vaseline maybe 2-3x a day it has gone away about 95%

fingers crossed

some minor bumps but not a nasty IB like when I jumped from 20mg to 40mg

Good luck ladies!

kim

Day 15!

I had extractions (acne) and chemical peel 2 weeks ago and although it makes you hibernate in your house because your face swells up for about 2 days the bumps went down dramatically. I am going back for another tx on 1/23 to help get the deeper ones removed. I just noticed about 2 days ago my lips getting dry so I'm just sticking to aquaphor all day! lots of water and sleeping with a humidifier in my room. i don't notice any other side effects. i do pick the whiteheads when they come to a head (eww) but i cant help it! what i did notice from that is where i used to have a pimple i now have little black speck (not raised/ i dont think its a blackhead/ i wont pick them) so not sure what that is... but i think if it doesnt go away while on accutane ill just have my dr laser them away...

AM routine (if shower in the AM-- then cetephil normal to oily cleanser... then cetephil gentle cleanser as a lotion)

apply Mac concealer and estee latter double wear foundation

(if i dont shower in the AM-- then i dont wash my face --because its clean from the night before)

PM routine (shower then use cetephil lotion.... a lot)

i have a lot of friends that have taken Accutane... a couple guys told me that at 2 weeks they were very happy and girls say it takes longer...some say 2 months before they really felt all of the dryness

Good Luck, I'll keep in touch with my progress! :)

Jami

MemberMember
(@donna93)

Posted : 01/20/2015 5:08 pm

aah im gonna follow this! i just started 2,5 weeks ago! around the 4th i think and i also weight 130lbs!

my doctor put me on 10mg only, because my acne is not bad and he wanted to try a low dose with me but after reading i decideed i wanna go as high as possible without having very nasty side effects. i def wanna try the 40mg i think

in 2 days ill have an appointment and ask for the 20mg first

oh and jamiiii i thought you werent allowed to do chemical peels while on accutane? or am i wrong

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 01/20/2015 8:46 pm

Crazy

im 130

Dr insisting I jump 80mg

haaaa

Kim

MemberMember
(@missvania)

Posted : 01/21/2015 6:15 am

I'm around 106lbs and I took 30mg daily during my 10 month treatment. My total dosage exceeded the 150mg/kg. (mild to moderate acne; very oily skin)

Personally I prefer this way. I was able to see results in the first three months into treatment, so my derm didn't see any reason to increase the dosage. Also, my side effects were very litlle and very manageable. Dry hair, dry face, dry lips, dry nose (all moderate). My blood work was fine all the time. The results were very good. Not a single pimple after 4 to 5 months into treatment. My skin responded really well.

It just depends on your personal case.

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 01/21/2015 9:04 am

Sounds great!

I would prefer the lower dose longer duration treatment

Im tolerating 60mg well (20mg/3x day)

I dont see why I cant stay at this dose

My Dr insisted my dose wasnt high enough and I shouldnt be breaking out at this point (around day #64)

BUt from these boards it seems breaking out is quit common until later in treatment

Hoping for me, month #3 is the magic mnth :)

thansk, kim

MemberMember
(@jamiii)

Posted : 01/22/2015 2:29 pm

i had the chem peel when i had only taken the pill one day before so im not sure if that makes a difference. i still havent noticed much as side effects go so and the chemical peel didnt bother me at all.

i also take the pill with a high fat meal or snack... almonds, pepperoni slices, or meal bar because the pill is a vit. A derivative which is fat soluble.. i feel this could help with quicker results --i have noticed a big difference already

Jami

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 01/22/2015 3:37 pm

Good news Jami!

Just wanted to update

I have been on and off the phone the last week arguing with my Dr office

I spoke with 4 different people (nurse, 2 PA (physicians assistants and my Dr)

They all insisted that even though I have mild but persistant acne (on face only) and weigh 130 pounds that I had to go to 80mg for 4 mnths (for a total of 6 mnth course)

It just doesnt sit right with me

Since since Ive been on 60mg my side effects have increased but have gotten worse

I've been having bad pain in my knees that go down to one foot (gets numb)

Feel a little foggy and lips are starting to look pretty brutal

I dont mind staying hte course on 60mg but my gut is against going to 80mg

I dont know what to do?

For now they called me in a script for 75 mg (25mg/3x a day)

ughugh

Kim

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/22/2015 4:49 pm

Good news Jami!

Just wanted to update

I have been on and off the phone the last week arguing with my Dr office

I spoke with 4 different people (nurse, 2 PA (physicians assistants and my Dr)

They all insisted that even though I have mild but persistant acne (on face only) and weigh 130 pounds that I had to go to 80mg for 4 mnths (for a total of 6 mnth course)

It just doesnt sit right with me

Since since Ive been on 60mg my side effects have increased but have gotten worse

I've been having bad pain in my knees that go down to one foot (gets numb)

Feel a little foggy and lips are starting to look pretty brutal

I dont mind staying hte course on 60mg but my gut is against going to 80mg

I dont know what to do?

For now they called me in a script for 75 mg (25mg/3x a day)

ughugh

Kim

Hi Kim - responded to your PM. Alternating 75 and 50 may be a pain in your butt, but it sounds like your doctor isn't budging on prescribing you 60 for whatever reason. It averages out to about the same in terms of cumulative dose. Maybe going that route might be easiest?

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 01/22/2015 5:43 pm

Thanks Meg..got your message!

kim

MemberMember
(@jamiii)

Posted : 01/24/2015 4:26 pm

yeah that seems like a lot.. you could find another dr in your ins network if you have ins and tell them how you are feeling and if they are drs participating in the iplegde program then you can transfer to a different dr.. you might wait a month for the lower dose or how ever longer till you get your new Rx but until then you might wanna take 2 of the pills/day (total 50mg) and just keep the other pills you dont take in a drawer or whatever... my dr told me that if i get too dry i can skip a day if i want... it will take longer to be on the pill but side effects are less (i havent skipped a day because im fine at 40mg). so if you self-lower your dose you wont be hurting yourself or making it less effective.... it will still work. its not like an antibiotic --you wont become resistant to the medication.. personally if it was me i would just take 2 pils/day instead of 3/day...its your body and at your weight 50mg/day will be good if you have moderate acne.some drs are too aggressive in my opinion.........im not a dr but i have talked with and got advice from a very reliable dr that have been seeing my family for 30+ years!

i hope you can find someone that wants to work at your pace! good luck!

Jami

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 01/24/2015 6:20 pm

Thanks Jamir for your input/opinion...50mg is the way Im going to go :)

My skin was looking great on 40mg and when I bumped to 60mg I had an IB and it hasnt completely resolved itself yet

Knowing what I know now...I think I would have hoped right onto 40 or 60mg and stayed the course for the duration

I really cant stand my Dr office

I emailed my Dr the calculation based on my weight/duration etc and she never responded.

My office insists dosing and duration are the same for everyone..regardless of severity of acne etc

crazy!??

I would LOVE to switch Dr but scared things will get messed up and I will be w/ out meds all together

I've also been to 3-4 other dr in my area and i was told my acne isnt bad enough (and pretty much to be happy and suck it up)

so I may just go into my next appt with my calculations and if they insist o giving me 75mg..I may just take the 50mg..and if it means staying on meds for another mnht or 2 so be it

Good luck everyone

Kim

MemberMember
(@honey-khan)

Posted : 05/22/2018 11:39 am

can any one help me about dosage i have mild acne some times my dovtor suggest 20mg dosage for one month shr said for 6 months so how many mg requird for my treatment ?