Notifications
Clear all

Vitamin B5 Hairloss Has Anybody Found The Cure?

MemberMember
(@blue09)

Posted : 01/06/2015 6:29 pm

People have been losing hair for years because of b5 somebody out there must know the cure? please help us.

MemberMember
(@smith8)

Posted : 01/08/2015 8:37 am

I saw people saying they were cured but they were using prescription drugs.

The problem are the side-effects (brain fog, no libido..)

Maybe a low dose, short course (3-5 months) of any of them (Finasteride, Dutasteride..) can cure us since our hair loss is not the usual kind(genetics).

MemberMember
(@blue09)

Posted : 01/08/2015 11:34 am

What prescription drugs were they using? I'm not going to use fin or duta because the hairloss is not dht related as I lose hair for all of the head back and sides not just mpb areas.

Plus I've read a lot of people tried fin with no luck proving it's not dht.

MemberMember
(@smith8)

Posted : 01/08/2015 5:40 pm

I heard from another forum ([removed]):

"I remember talking to someone on this board several months back who was experiencing hairloss due to B5. Supposedly, his hair was restored by taking Propecia. Someone else on this board has made the claim that Avodart stopped the hairloss."

"i took b5 for a few months and my hair also started to fallout, it didnt stop for a LONG time, actully it only stopped when i started taking avodart"

"Ive been taking avodart for 2 months now and my hair loss has been pretty much eliminated. Before avodart i tried all kinds of vitamins to help my hairloss but nothing worked. avodart is similar to something like proscar or propecia but its a bit more potent. I would recomend it to any one with hairloss whos tried other remedys without any success.

The avodart is great because it killed 2 birds with one stone. I had mega oilly hair and skin and had hair loss. Avodart took care of the oilyness (made my skin normal not too dry and not too oily) and reduced my hair loss. This stuff kicks ass."

Maybe vitamin b5 damaged our follicles in a way that they are now more sensitive to DHT? Just a theory tho

MemberMember
(@blue09)

Posted : 01/09/2015 1:02 pm

Interesting stuff, it's weird how people are being effected differently. I would give adovart a go but I just no it will make my libido even worse. Your theory is a good one tho may well be the case.

MemberMember
(@smith8)

Posted : 01/10/2015 2:51 pm

Yes I'm weighing the pros and cons on this one. If I learned anything from this experience is that we should be very careful to not trade one problem to another. Even worse, turn one problem into two, since acne came back anyway.

If someone was cured please post your regimen

Let's keep updating.

MemberMember
(@blue09)

Posted : 01/11/2015 8:42 am

My acne was cured a while ago, If I get any spots now I just take msm powder for a day or 2 and they go away, I'm just stuck with hairloss now. I'm hoping colostrum and amino plex will help, tried so many things now I'm starting to give up

MemberMember
(@im66)

Posted : 01/12/2015 7:33 pm

This is probably a stupid question, considering people are looking for a cure for hairloss from taking B5, but has anybody had success in taking something alongside B5 that actually grows hair?

I've just recently started taking B5 at 3 grams a day, separated in the morning and night, alongside L-Cysetine, which is supposed to help with hair growth. I've read some articles about taking L-C in equal dosages to retain the oil in the hair, assuming that might be the issue to prevent the B5 side-effect.

The other thing I read was that it could be from lacking consumption of the full B-Complex, depleting the supply of the body's other B Vitamins.

I've always been hesitant about doing the B5 acne treatment. It's working pretty well for me thus far, but I'm still very concerned about potential hairloss, hearing horror stories in many reviews.

I'm just wondering if hairloss could have been prevented from the start if everybody took something that helped with hair growth, seeing that hairloss seems to be the only potential side-effect of B5. While Biotin is a good option for hair growth, it competes with B5 and actually can worsen acne, so I'm stuck on solutions there...

MemberMember
(@amorina1234)

Posted : 01/07/2016 4:32 pm

Hi! About a year ago , i started taking B5/pantothein  around 10 to 12 grams per day. My skin got so clear and i was so happy! For about three months i noticed that my normally thick hair was thinner and then I saw this on the internet that b5 can cause hair loss and freaked out! I took some biotin but after a couple days I had some breakouts so i stoped with biotin. I have now lowerd my dose of B5 to 1 gram per day. This is really depressing and all i can think of.. I can't sleep at night beacause of this :( I can't find anyone whi says that their hair has regrown full?? How long does it takes for my hair to stop shedding? And another question, did your acne return directly after quitting b5? Do You guys think my hair will get back to normal without taking som biotin , just natural? Please take your time to answer , i need some hope! 

MemberMember
(@youngrobot)

Posted : 05/05/2016 8:15 am

BUMP!

Is finasteride/propecia or dutasteride/avodart really the answer????

MemberMember
(@beemm)

Posted : 06/13/2016 8:26 am

Yes, I have found the cure. I started B5 about 3 months ago and was taking about 20 grams (20,000 mg) daily to clear up my acne. I took this amount for about 3 weeks when I started to notice the shedding. It wasn't massive but enough to concern me. So I stopped the B5. My acne began to return but I maintained it with vitamin A. The hair shedding slowed but did not stop completely. A few weeks later I suffered a huge breakout of acne on my face so I panicked and began taking the B5 again but this time only taking 5 grams per day. Two weeks later my hair began shedding a lot!! I was so depressed. So I began my research into B5 hairloss. Google seemed to have mostly useless information....so I went on to Google Scholar, which has all the studies and medical literature. And I found the answer....

I found this study about mice being treated with Pantothenic Acid (B5) for some sort of nervous system disorder. It is somewhat unclear as the full study is not shown unless you pay for the website. But what is clear is that these mice developed alopecia but when Inositol was added, the hair loss stopped. Here is the study. http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/19411401109.html;jsessionid=58A0801394A79AEC459980189307C294

I happened to have inositol at home, which I sometimes take for mild anxiety. I would take one capsule per day from time to time. I use the Vitamin Shoppe Brand that contains 650 mg per capsule. Anyway, I began taking one capsule of inositol with every gram of B5. For the last two days I have taken 5 grams of B5 as usual, but adding 650 mg of Inositol with every 1 gm of B5 throughout the day. The hair loss came to a screeching halt. Today, as I type this and run my fingers through my hair, not one single strand is coming out. its a miracle!

I should add that I ive also used this new hair growth shampoo only twice but I doubt its the shampoo. It wouldn't work so quickly. I hope this helps someone.

MemberMember
(@beemm)

Posted : 06/25/2016 7:04 am

Hair still not falling out. Yay for inositol! I've decided to stop the B5 and just take the inositol. So far it's too early for me to notice any hair growth but can say that may hair is definitely not falling out anymore. I take a higher dose now though to try to speed up the process. 2 capsules (650 mg each) 6 times per day. I tried lowering the dose about a week ago, to see if only 3 capsules a day would still work but the shedding started up again. As soon as I upped the dose like before, hair shedding stopped. I'll update once I see hair growth, though according to the mice study, both B5 and inositol were given for hair growth. I have seen testimonials online of people seeing hair growth with inositol alone or if especially if taken with choline. So I may add a tiny bit of B5 back or alternatively add choline for re-growth. But I confirm that the inositol alone has been enough to stop my hair loss.

MemberMember
(@buzzlightyear)

Posted : 07/03/2016 4:21 am

~20mg of b5 with 400mg of cysteine was enough to put out my acne.

MemberMember
(@youngrobot)

Posted : 11/12/2016 1:08 am

Bump...

Is finasteride/avodart the solution???