Notifications
Clear all

Bellafill Approved By The Fda For Treatment Of Acne Scars

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 01/06/2015 2:49 pm

The FDA just approved Bellafill for treatment of pitted acne scars.

According to Refiner29, "Bellafill is a poly-methylmethacrylate (or PMMA) collagen filler, which is a suspension of synthetic microspheres in a gel. That gel is injected, which gives skin an immediate boost. Over time, the microspheres work to support collagen production, so the results last. "

It's different from Botox. It also may require maintenance like any filler, because synthetic collagen will probably breakdown like natural collagen. But I thought you all might be interested to learn about this new development.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/06/2015 6:01 pm

I saw this in a NY paper. It seems promising but the costs are expensive and I doubt insurance will cover it.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/06/2015 7:19 pm

Meh. http://www.realself.com/Artefill/reviews

Could be used in junction with subcision. Not impressed. I

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 01/07/2015 12:20 am

Nothing really new here. This is Artefill, but they just rebranded it with a new name. Artefill has been around for at least a decade. And before it was called Artefill, it was called Artecoll in Europe.

MemberMember
(@waitingforacure)

Posted : 01/07/2015 6:12 am

I wonder why they renamed it. Has anyone on here try this filler? if so, can u please share with us your experience and inform us..

astolat liked
MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 01/07/2015 9:06 am

I'd suspect this is purely down to marketing. Nothing has been reformulated from what I gather. I guess with newer, more advanced fillers coming out, they felt the need to compete in a crowded market.

@Waitingforcure - I never really followed your case, but I'm sorry to read that your laviv treatmenats didn't really pan out. As for fat grating, that's readily available right now, and many many plastic surgeons offer this.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 01/07/2015 11:46 am

It's one of those things where it's been around, but now it's FDA approved for acne scars, so it might be easier to get. I don't really know how this stuff works, I don't have pitted scars.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/07/2015 12:51 pm

they renamed it because its a marketing tactic too trick others to buying it when its just the same as artefill

MemberMember
(@astolat)

Posted : 06/22/2015 3:57 am

I have used Artifill and recently Bellafill, 3 syringes. I've also used Voluma. Voluma lasts about 6 to 9 months for me which is disappointing. Artifill lasted about 5 years and was injected in my labial folds and cheeks. I went back a few years ago for more Artifill only to find out it was taken off the market. It was never clear to me why it went off the market but Voluma is not even a close second. I've used several different fillers over the years, none as long lasting as Artifill. I don't see renaming a re-released product as deceptive; I see it as a marketing tool using a new name that is more attractive. Bellafill contains collagen with the filler spheres. That's important to me as I am post menopausal due to an unrelated surgical procedure. I am allergic to hormones and have Rosacea with deep scarring so my options to keep my face soft, full and healthy are limited. Lasers also don't give me enough regeneration. With Bellafill, I can see the improvement in my acne scars and in eliminating the hollows in my face due to depletion of fat.

I don't want anyone to think Bellafill is any kind of miracle but I am pleased it is back and I am happy with the results. One syringe, I think, is like one teaspoon of product which is why it takes several to make a difference. Keep that in mind when your doctor tells you how many syringes he is recommending.

My dermatologist reduced the cost for each subsequent syringe of Bellafill so you should ask about this. I believe it is sold to medical providers in a box of 5 and they likely get volume discounts. It is up to the provider to decide what they are going to charge. My doctor is offering a reduced rate for subsequent injections for 6 months. I am going back for another syringe this coming week. Once the Voluma from my September and November injections is completely gone, I will get one more vial of Bellafill and then I plan to go back annually for a refresher of the collagen and filler. I anticipate the effects of Bellafill will 'last' about 5 years on me, like Artifill, as I know my skin will age more quickly due to my other medical issues. Bellafill is advertised as and is intended to be a permanent filler. Four or even five vials of Bellafill will cost me less than what I spent on Voluma and other fillers this past year.

Good luck to you, if you go with Bellafill. I think you will like the results.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 06/22/2015 12:26 pm

Good points, and I'm glad you are making the distinction that it is indeed PERMANENT. The only reason why the results may SEEM to dissipate is because we are all continually aging and losing volume. Like you said though, the actual microspheres themselves do not ever degrade, so it will be there forever unless surgically removed. I think it went off the market because the company went bankrupt and later they sold the rights to the product to the company that now makes it. That's how it got a new lease on life.

MemberMember
(@celaya)

Posted : 06/24/2015 2:34 am

Do you think they went bankrupt from a class action lawsuit from many consumers who tried this when it was Artefill? Maybe it happen in Europe? I'm guessing the new company that took over change the name(bad reputation when it was called Artefill) since it's done more damage in the long run than good if you take a look at most reviews who tried this product if you check Real Self. Don't even think they offer this overseas any longer as Bellafill with the damage it has done to many.