Notifications
Clear all

Isotretinoin...abdomen Pain In Second Month

MemberMember
(@user443750)

Posted : 01/04/2015 3:27 pm

After trying other prescription acne medications for a few years (doxycycline and minocycline), my dermatologist presented Isotretinoin (formerly Accutane) as an option. We eventually decided to go with it. My acne wasn't severe...it was moderate. But it was the kind that is deep in the skin and painful. It caused big red bumps and stuff and I was tired of it.

I started with 30-mg Claravis capsules once a day for the first month. It was great...from the very beginning I noticed improvement. I got hardly any new acne over the first 3 weeks of taking it.

Went back to the dermatologist for the first month check-up...all was good. He increased the dosage to twice a day.

This was about 2 and a half weeks ago. Since then I have developed a pain in the lower right side of my abdomen. It's a strange pain that I have a hard time describing to people. It's not severe, but it's sort of like a crampy type of pain.

It will hurt for a little while (a few hours) and then it will go away. Then it will come back later in the day. Sometimes I can make the pain less by changing my sitting or standing position.

I have also noticed "bubbling" and "spasming" noises and feelings coming from my lower abdomen/intestine area.

I initially continued to take Isotretinoin through the pain, which would come and go, but last night the pain got pretty bad so I decided not to take my capsule pill. I didn't take it this morning either.

The pain today isn't much at all, but it's still there a little bit.

I am getting a regular (required) blood test done this week as part of the Isotretinoin program. So I guess we will see if that shows anything.

But does anyone have any idea what this pain might be? It's kind of scaring me a little.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/04/2015 6:18 pm

After trying other prescription acne medications for a few years (doxycycline and minocycline), my dermatologist presented Isotretinoin (formerly Accutane) as an option. We eventually decided to go with it. My acne wasn't severe...it was moderate. But it was the kind that is deep in the skin and painful. It caused big red bumps and stuff and I was tired of it.

I started with 30-mg Claravis capsules once a day for the first month. It was great...from the very beginning I noticed improvement. I got hardly any new acne over the first 3 weeks of taking it.

Went back to the dermatologist for the first month check-up...all was good. He increased the dosage to twice a day.

This was about 2 and a half weeks ago. Since then I have developed a pain in the lower right side of my abdomen. It's a strange pain that I have a hard time describing to people. It's not severe, but it's sort of like a crampy type of pain.

It will hurt for a little while (a few hours) and then it will go away. Then it will come back later in the day. Sometimes I can make the pain less by changing my sitting or standing position.

I have also noticed "bubbling" and "spasming" noises and feelings coming from my lower abdomen/intestine area.

I initially continued to take Isotretinoin through the pain, which would come and go, but last night the pain got pretty bad so I decided not to take my capsule pill. I didn't take it this morning either.

I am getting a regular (required) blood test done this week as part of the Isotretinoin program. So I guess we will see if that shows anything.

But does anyone have any idea what this pain might be? It's kind of scaring me a little.

This might be too personal a question - but are you experiencing any constipation? Accutane has the tendency to dehydrate, so drinking more water along with increasing your fiber intake might help. At the same time - you may consider discussing the issue with your derm. Going from 30mg to 60mg a day is kind of a big jump, you might need to scale the dose back and titrate up. Adding a good probiotic to your diet may also be helpful. I think discussing the issue plainly with your doctor will put your mind at ease.

MemberMember
(@user443750)

Posted : 01/04/2015 6:31 pm

This might be too personal a question - but are you experiencing any constipation? Accutane has the tendency to dehydrate, so drinking more water along with increasing your fiber intake might help. At the same time - you may consider discussing the issue with your derm. Going from 30mg to 60mg a day is kind of a big jump, you might need to scale the dose back and titrate up. Adding a good probiotic to your diet may also be helpful. I think discussing the issue plainly with your doctor will put your mind at ease.

No--in fact, I've experienced a little of the opposite. Not to the point where it's a problem, but definitely the other direction if anything.

I will definitely talk to my doctor about it. I was just a little worried about the pain. I just keep thinking appendicitis...appendicitis scares me because you have to undergo quick surgery or you could die. But I've had this pain for over a week, and it's not severe (I can perform all daily activities with no problems) so I don't think it's appendicitis.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/04/2015 6:46 pm

No--in fact, I've experienced a little of the opposite. Not to the point where it's a problem, but definitely the other direction if anything.

I will definitely talk to my doctor about it. I was just a little worried about the pain. I just keep thinking appendicitis...appendicitis scares me because you have to undergo quick surgery or you could die. But I've had this pain for over a week, and it's not severe (I can perform all daily activities with no problems) so I don't think it's appendicitis.

No - it definitely doesn't sound like appendicitis, although I understand your concern. Everytime I get a pain in that area, my mind jumps to the same thing. From what I understand, one quick way to tell (although not completely full proof) if the pain your experiencing is appendicities is called "rebound pain". Presss (VERY GENTLY!) on the area you feel pain, and release. If the pain increasing upon releasing the pressure - it's a very strong indicator of appendicitis.

That being said, stomach pain is a cause for concern especially if it's cronic with no known trigger. I think you are doing the right thing by discontinuing the accutane for now and talking to your doctor. Alternatively, if you did fine on 30mg, you can always go back to taking that amount.

MemberMember
(@irish123)

Posted : 09/01/2015 9:34 pm

I realize this thread is a bit old but wanted to follow up to see what you ended up doing about your pain on the right side. What did your dermatologist say? Did you continue with the accutane regimen?

I am experiencing very similar issues. I have been on 40mg of Absorbica 1x / day for 6 weeks now and started noticing slight pain / cramping in my lower right side just last week. The pain comes and goes throughout the day and is normally worse at night. It isn't preventative of normal daily activities, but I didn't have this pain before starting treatment.

Any information or advice would be helpful. Thanks for your time.