Notifications
Clear all

I Need Help - Desperate

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 01/04/2015 12:30 pm

20 years that I am battling acne on and off. I have had every single treatment known, including 3 rounds of accutane.

Recently, through sample analysis, I found out the bacteria in my pimples is s.epidermis (a staph).

On Thursday I shaved my face completely and close. Bad idea.

Huge breakout, and clearly a bacterial infection, with lots of whiteheads popping out and spreading.

Went to the doc who prescribed a lotion with bacitracin and neomycin sulfate. Worked like a charm on most whiteheads and a couple of deeper pimples too. They are already gone!

However, my skin continued to breakout (as if the staph was moving away from the clean zones and finding new habitat).

I have used the lotion there too, but it does not seem to be working as quickly and nicely.

Bigger mistake: Went to the sauna today, thinking a deep cleanse would help my skin ridding itself of whatever is inside my pores. After sauna, skin looked great. Tone was even. Pimples looked smaller and healing. But 3 hours after, it's another story: Red skin and all pimples look quite red and angry. Also have new whiteheads out.

Don't know what to do. Really desperate for a solution.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/04/2015 12:45 pm

Have you tried taking an oral antibiotic?

MemberMember
(@acnedrum)

Posted : 01/04/2015 4:12 pm

Not sure what to recommend, but don't give up. As much as acne can impact us, the people we want in our lives won't really care. I hope you and your doctor can find a treatment that works though, so you don't have to deal with the irritation.

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 01/04/2015 4:15 pm

Have you tried taking an oral antibiotic?

I did. Pretty much all of them over the course of last 20 years....

Not sure what to recommend, but don't give up. As much as acne can impact us, the people we want in our lives won't really care. I hope you and your doctor can find a treatment that works though, so you don't have to deal with the irritation.

Thanks. You are right about the people we want in our lives not caring that much. But right now I have 4 very white pustules and 1 slowly coming out. And face is quite red from sauna. Not a pretty picture. I don't want to pop them because it seems I keep spreading the infection whenever I do that. Why on earth did I go to the sauna? :-(

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/04/2015 7:38 pm

Have you tried using rubbing alcohol as a toner on your face? Have you considered laser hair removal or electrolysis?

MemberMember
(@im66)

Posted : 01/04/2015 10:57 pm

I'm not quite up on the scientific terminology of acne itself, but s.epidermis is a new term for me. I thought P. Acne was the generic term for acne. It sounds as though you have another bacteria infecting the area that could be more treatable, as you say it's a staph infection of some kind. Possibly see a dermatologist to see if something more can be done once you've learned it's something different causing your acne?

I sincerely hope something works for you!

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 01/05/2015 1:23 am

Have you tried using rubbing alcohol as a toner on your face? Have you considered laser hair removal or electrolysis?

Trying laser hair removal might be my next option. I am now looking at how I could get this done, so I do not have to shave again. Alcohol on my face could also be good but I have very sensitive skin (from years of products applied on it) and it could make things worse. It's just a mess.

I'm not quite up on the scientific terminology of acne itself, but s.epidermis is a new term for me. I thought P. Acne was the generic term for acne. It sounds as though you have another bacteria infecting the area that could be more treatable, as you say it's a staph infection of some kind. Possibly see a dermatologist to see if something more can be done once you've learned it's something different causing your acne?

I sincerely hope something works for you!

I am not an expert myself, mind you after 20 years of battle you'd think I would be! Was diagnosed with that staph infection and it keems coming back. Not sure how and why. My derm last told me: 'Oh boy, I really don't know what we can do next to help you'. That's an awesome feeling right there.

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 01/05/2015 4:47 am

Skin is now in a transition state. 6 pimples, all on one side.

4 very white pustules which I guess will slowly go away.

1 boil like pimple slowly coming out which I am treating with fucidin H.

1 boil like pimple which I believe I have gotten to on time and will not come out.

I also have the scar of another, bigger boil like pimple which has opened up and flatened yesterday after sauna.

MemberMember
(@mk04)

Posted : 01/05/2015 10:08 am

Do you break out randomly? You might've heard this many times, but how's your diet?

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 01/05/2015 1:03 pm

Do you break out randomly? You might've heard this many times, but how's your diet?

Diet is very healthy. Have taken away all forms of dairy and wheat or gluten. Also removed sugar.

Lately though, I have eaten quite a lot of fish and citrus. I guess this is part of what is breaking me out.

I have also been supplementing with vitamin D, which I may be taking at too high a dose vs what my body needs (5,000 UI per day).

I have stopped the D and also stopped the fish and citrus. Giving my liver a rest for the next few days.

MemberMember
(@mk04)

Posted : 01/05/2015 5:23 pm

Diet is very healthy. Have taken away all forms of dairy and wheat or gluten. Also removed sugar.

Lately though, I have eaten quite a lot of fish and citrus. I guess this is part of what is breaking me out.

I have also been supplementing with vitamin D, which I may be taking at too high a dose vs what my body needs (5,000 UI per day).

I have stopped the D and also stopped the fish and citrus. Giving my liver a rest for the next few days.

It's good you took out dairy, wheat/gluten. They were a primary cause in my case, but everyone is different. I never had a problem with fish before, I still eat it everyday as an overall source of nutrition (salmon to be exact). Not too sure about citrus as I don't consume citrus, ever. Could be the high dose of Vitamin D but I think it may be best to test one by one? I'm thinking it's the citrus.

When you say you removed sugar, do you mean ALL types of sugar? EX: fruits?

It'd be nice if you could go more in depth on your diet, exactly what you eat and if you exercise/stay active physically/mentally as well.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/05/2015 5:50 pm

I can relate to what you are going through in terms of overhaul of diet, topicals, etc and having NOTHING work. It sucks. With that said, it may be helpful to put your situation in the hands of someone else such as a naturopath. I've been to quite a few with mixed results but since you have been getting mixed results, this may be the next best thing. I am currently doing this and it is too early to tell as I am also on a topical and there is the infamous IB but we'll see.

Good Luck hun and don't ever give up or feel that you are alone.

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 01/05/2015 8:25 pm

I can relate to what you are going through in terms of overhaul of diet, topicals, etc and having NOTHING work. It sucks. With that said, it may be helpful to put your situation in the hands of someone else such as a naturopath. I've been to quite a few with mixed results but since you have been getting mixed results, this may be the next best thing. I am currently doing this and it is too early to tell as I am also on a topical and there is the infamous IB but we'll see.

Good Luck hun and don't ever give up or feel that you are alone.

Thanks for the nice message.

I might try a naturopath. Nothing has worked until now so might go the natural route on my skin.

I do not get how we get in such situations though. I have been treated with so many creams and antibiotics over the last 20 years.

Only now did we find out about the staph, which has probably become resistent to all antibiotics I have been putting on my skin.

Was also diagnosed with seb derm but not sure what to make of that. I never have red skin around my nose. It happened once.

True that I get lots of boils-like pimple though. Having one right now. It takes so much time to come to a head. Very unsighlty.

In the scheme of the aftermath of that huge breakout from last week, it can hardly be seen though...

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/05/2015 8:30 pm

Have you ever tried using nothing on your face for an extended period of time?

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 01/06/2015 3:54 am

It's good you took out dairy, wheat/gluten. They were a primary cause in my case, but everyone is different. I never had a problem with fish before, I still eat it everyday as an overall source of nutrition (salmon to be exact). Not too sure about citrus as I don't consume citrus, ever. Could be the high dose of Vitamin D but I think it may be best to test one by one? I'm thinking it's the citrus.

When you say you removed sugar, do you mean ALL types of sugar? EX: fruits?

It'd be nice if you could go more in depth on your diet, exactly what you eat and if you exercise/stay active physically/mentally as well.

It might be the citrus indeed... And now i am paying for it!

I removed all processed sugar but I am still eating fruits.

I also try to eat whatever does not break me out and does not contain milk or wheat.

That is mainly fish, chicken and vegetables. Not much exercise these days, but maybe I should do some.

Just don't feel like leaving the house with such a face....

Have you ever tried using nothing on your face for an extended period of time?

Yes... I did the caveman regimen for a month in 2012.... Maybe did not do it correctly?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/06/2015 1:37 pm

I've never done the caveman regimen, but most traditional cleansing, moisturizing, and even acne products break me out. I'm sure if I was a guy and using shaving cream on my face that would break me out too. Literally the only things I can use on my face without breaking out are a diy oil cleanser (watermelon seed oil and cromollient) and tca and glycolic peels.

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 01/07/2015 2:22 am

I've never done the caveman regimen, but most traditional cleansing, moisturizing, and even acne products break me out. I'm sure if I was a guy and using shaving cream on my face that would break me out too. Literally the only things I can use on my face without breaking out are a diy oil cleanser (watermelon seed oil and cromollient) and tca and glycolic peels.

Same here... Every single product breaks me out. I am now trying a new hydrating cream/emollioent. It is just a mess.

MemberMember
(@mk04)

Posted : 01/07/2015 9:50 am

Is the caveman regimen when you just wash your face with water? If so, that's what I do, but every 3-4 days I use a cleanser. Same goes with shampoo unless I put wax on, which then I would use a bit of shampoo to rinse it off. I don't know if it helps, but it feels better for me to not use products on a day to day basis.

It's good you're still eating fruits since they're essential imo.. Especially when you have taken out wheat/grain/lactose such as I have. Not sure if citrus would actually cause a breakout but I suppose it's possible. I had some grapefruit yesterday and I seem to be fine for now. I would suggest exercising though.. I think pumping your blood and making it circulate on a day to day basis helps the body greatly overall, though I'm not sure if it has a direct effect on acne.

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 01/07/2015 10:11 am

Is the caveman regimen when you just wash your face with water? If so, that's what I do, but every 3-4 days I use a cleanser. Same goes with shampoo unless I put wax on, which then I would use a bit of shampoo to rinse it off. I don't know if it helps, but it feels better for me to not use products on a day to day basis.

It's good you're still eating fruits since they're essential imo.. Especially when you have taken out wheat/grain/lactose such as I have. Not sure if citrus would actually cause a breakout but I suppose it's possible. I had some grapefruit yesterday and I seem to be fine for now. I would suggest exercising though.. I think pumping your blood and making it circulate on a day to day basis helps the body greatly overall, though I'm not sure if it has a direct effect on acne.

You are right and it probably can't hurt to use do some exerise. Will start running again. My face is slowly getting better which suggests citrus or vitamin d or something i have put on my skin was the issue....

MemberMember
(@mk04)

Posted : 01/07/2015 10:14 am

Yeah, you really only benefit from exercising, especially if you don't do it regularly. I'm glad your face is getting better! I know the "slow" feeling.. Can get very frustrating but if you keep at it, it sure is rewarding. And I think you know, but try to test out things one at a time instead of all at once.

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 01/07/2015 10:19 am

by the way, I read about propolis tincture. Anyone every tried this?

Yeah, you really only benefit from exercising, especially if you don't do it regularly. I'm glad your face is getting better! I know the "slow" feeling.. Can get very frustrating but if you keep at it, it sure is rewarding. And I think you know, but try to test out things one at a time instead of all at once.

Indeed. I want to go more natural about it. Thinking propolis tincture but it's mixed with alcohol which can't be good for sensitive skin....

MemberMember
(@mk04)

Posted : 01/07/2015 10:36 am

Yeah I personally wouldn't even go near that, but it's up to you. Never heard of it either

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 01/07/2015 11:10 am

Yeah I personally wouldn't even go near that, but it's up to you. Never heard of it either

Probably won't either. Just looking for a solution to wash my skin without having yet another huge breakout. Maybe spring water. Or thermal water sprays.....

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/07/2015 11:30 am

Probably won't either. Just looking for a solution to wash my skin without having yet another huge breakout. Maybe spring water. Or thermal water sprays.....

There's witch hazel without alcohol. I've also used soap nut liquid before which worked well. There's also always oil cleansing.