Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rjo

Histamines And Acne

Recommended Posts

Hi there, I hope this finds you well!

I've been a long time browser but this is my first time posting on acne.org - I'm hoping someone might have some more information for me.

I've been struggling with adult acne since I was 17/18 - I'm now 21. Over the past 2 years I have transitioned from a horrible high sugar / carb diet to a high fat low carb paleo diet. This saw me go gluten free 18 months ago, diary free a few months later and paleo a few months after. With symptoms still persisting I quit sugar (both refined and fruits) about 6 months ago now.

Each time I made a new change to my diet, my skin would clear and I felt like I was on to something - only for it to come back a few weeks later.

Earlier this year I was also diagnosed with PCOS - however, the results were rather inconclusive as I only had a few cysts on one ovary and although my hormones were out of balance, my testosterone was very high - and didn't point directly to PCOS, more just PCO.

We have also concluded that Pyroluria could be playing a factor - as I also suffer from anxiety and a number of other symptoms that are on the check list for pyroluria. I have been treating this for about 2 months.

However, although I follow this strict diet, exercise regularly and have a BMI of 22, I still seem to break out sporadically for no reason.

This was, however, at smoked salmon today (after about 6 months because it broke me out the last time but I was determine to have it again) and I broke out LIKE CRAZY within only an hour or two. I also had salmon (steak) for dinner last night. Hence, if histamines were an issue - eating salmon like this could be potentially disastrous to my skin.

Other staples in my diet are also spinach and avocado - both high in histamines.

I also broke out like crazy the other afternoon after drinking a can of coconut cream (mixed with macadamias - delicious!) and swore to not eat coconut again for the foreseeable future. Although coconut seems to be fine for histamines, could it possibly be the can??

Anyway, I know I will think of more after I submitt this - but if anyone has any light on any histamine - acne relation I would LOVE to hear from you.

Many thanks,

Bec

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi. I have histamine intolerance and acne. Once I figured it out and started eating a low-histamine diet it improved my acne noticeably, though it certainly didn't get rid of it entirely.To test whether you do have a histamine intolerance you should try a low-histamine diet for a few weeks to see you how feel, and then if you're still not sure maybe have a trial period where you eat a bunch of very high histamine food to see if you feel differently.

And if you do end up having histamine intolerance, it is often related to gut dysbiosis or other digestive problems, or problems with the methylation system.

To learn more, check out this website's post about histamine intolerance, it's really thorough -

[removed]

As for the coconut thing, it's possible to be sensitive to just about any type of food in one way or another. Some people find out they have uncommon triggers for their acne. Only way to really find that out is the same as with a histamine intolerance: to abstain for a while then reintroduce and observe for any differences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/5/2015 at 7:57 AM, mister*b said:

Hi. I have histamine intolerance and acne. Once I figured it out and started eating a low-histamine diet it improved my acne noticeably, though it certainly didn't get rid of it entirely.To test whether you do have a histamine intolerance you should try a low-histamine diet for a few weeks to see you how feel, and then if you're still not sure maybe have a trial period where you eat a bunch of very high histamine food to see if you feel differently.

And if you do end up having histamine intolerance, it is often related to gut dysbiosis or other digestive problems, or problems with the methylation system.

To learn more, check out this website's post about histamine intolerance, it's really thorough -

[removed]

As for the coconut thing, it's possible to be sensitive to just about any type of food in one way or another. Some people find out they have uncommon triggers for their acne. Only way to really find that out is the same as with a histamine intolerance: to abstain for a while then reintroduce and observe for any differences.

Thanks so much for your reply mister*b, I really appreciate all the information you provided!

I have just cut so much out of my diet, and it's leading to so much food anxiety (and often binging on foods that I believe I can eat, which can and will only lead to more intolerance's I know)

I will speak to my naturopath about the possible link this Friday, however, I was wondering how you manage your histamine intolerance? Do you take any supplements at all to assist?

I'm just wondering what on earth I can possibly eat now that's even moderately exciting on paleo -- especially as it seems meat is also an issue with histamines? Do you know if this included preservative free mince etc?

I have been having so many fermented foods over the past year as well... oh my.

Many thanks again, and thanks for the link to the great article!

rjo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

you're welcome! glad i can help someone out who's dealing with the same stuff.

i mostly just manage my histamine intolerance by not eating high-histamine foods. now, some people are really sensitive and they get migraines or other dramatic symptoms. i'm not super sensitive, and when i do eat high-histamine foods my symptoms are tiredness, feeling too warm, brain fog. in other words, unpleasant but not especially painful, like a migraine would be. so i'm not super strict about it. they say meat can be a problem, especially ground meat or if its slow-cooked, but i don't really notice much if i eat them, and i eat a lot of meat. i used to eat a ton of fermented foods because they're so healthy, but then ironically i have a condition where those make me feel the worst...

because i eat fairly low-carb to manage my acne in addition to eating low histamine, my diet consists mostly of meat/eggs/seafood and vegetables, some fruits, and select starches like rice, potatoes, and some others. i used to eat straight paleo and eat no grains but after starting low histamine i felt i had to introduce some more things so my diet wasn't too limited.

here's a pretty good paleo & low-histamine food list if you want to check it out - [removed]

the article talks about some other ways you can improve your situation, like supplementing with vitamin c (preferably by eating foods or food-based supplements that are high in it), and consuming anti-inflammatory and high-antioxidant foods. there's also an enzyme you can buy in pill form, called diamine oxidase, that you take with food and it breaks down the histamine in your digestive track. it works, but it's expensive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/7/2015 at 5:25 AM, mister*b said:

you're welcome! glad i can help someone out who's dealing with the same stuff.

i mostly just manage my histamine intolerance by not eating high-histamine foods. now, some people are really sensitive and they get migraines or other dramatic symptoms. i'm not super sensitive, and when i do eat high-histamine foods my symptoms are tiredness, feeling too warm, brain fog. in other words, unpleasant but not especially painful, like a migraine would be. so i'm not super strict about it. they say meat can be a problem, especially ground meat or if its slow-cooked, but i don't really notice much if i eat them, and i eat a lot of meat. i used to eat a ton of fermented foods because they're so healthy, but then ironically i have a condition where those make me feel the worst...

because i eat fairly low-carb to manage my acne in addition to eating low histamine, my diet consists mostly of meat/eggs/seafood and vegetables, some fruits, and select starches like rice, potatoes, and some others. i used to eat straight paleo and eat no grains but after starting low histamine i felt i had to introduce some more things so my diet wasn't too limited.

here's a pretty good paleo & low-histamine food list if you want to check it out - [removed]

the article talks about some other ways you can improve your situation, like supplementing with vitamin c (preferably by eating foods or food-based supplements that are high in it), and consuming anti-inflammatory and high-antioxidant foods. there's also an enzyme you can buy in pill form, called diamine oxidase, that you take with food and it breaks down the histamine in your digestive track. it works, but it's expensive.

Thanks so much for all your help / suggestions mister*b, again - I really appreciate it!

I'm so excited to say that my acne has cleared by at least 80% in just the last week and a half by going low histamine and taking MSM. I'm in disbelief and so excited. I'm just hoping this is it (there has been so many false alarms in the past)

I have to stick it out for a few more weeks but I'm feeling on top of the world with my skin so good. I also found an MSM cream that I've been using topically and it's working wonders for redness and scaring as well as overall inflammation - and smells super yummy too!

I'm off on holidays in a few weeks though so I'm crossing all my fingers and toes that I can try some of this DAO soon and I can actually enjoy eating some meals out as well. I'd hate to be in another country and not be able to enjoy the food!!!

Anyway, thanks again - and to anyone else who has seemingly tried everything - especially whole foods diets that haven't worked - I'd defiantly give low histamine a try. My breakouts were heavy and itchy and embarrassing - and I haven't had one in weeks!!! Who would have thought that all those green smoothies I was having every morning could have been doing my body more harm than good?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations! It feels great when you're able to figure out something that works.

Recently, I've been researching the diet-acne connection more, and I found out something interesting. Some practitioners recommend that acne sufferers do a diet known as Paleo Autoimmune, because they believe acne often has an autoimmune component (where your immune system attacks part of your own body), or at least that the immune system is out of balance in some other way. Interestingly enough, a lot of the foods restricted on this diet are the same as with a low histamine diet: nuts, seeds, nightshades (peppers, eggplant, etc.). So success from a low histamine diet could also be indicative of an imbalanced immune system. More info here if you're interested- [removed]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/22/2015 at 2:05 AM, mister*b said:

Congratulations! It feels great when you're able to figure out something that works.

Recently, I've been researching the diet-acne connection more, and I found out something interesting. Some practitioners recommend that acne sufferers do a diet known as Paleo Autoimmune, because they believe acne often has an autoimmune component (where your immune system attacks part of your own body), or at least that the immune system is out of balance in some other way. Interestingly enough, a lot of the foods restricted on this diet are the same as with a low histamine diet: nuts, seeds, nightshades (peppers, eggplant, etc.). So success from a low histamine diet could also be indicative of an imbalanced immune system. More info here if you're interested- [removed]

Thanks mister*b! I actually have been on AIP previously and it's didn't do anything near as good as low histamine. I think it's been the cut down on spinach / avocado / salmon etc that has done such a wondrous job!

I wish I could do AIP.. you're allowed coconut! Oh how wonderful that would be...

Thanks a million though!

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, I have noticed a definite connection between high-histamine foods and acne in myself. I was downing apple cider vinegar, kefir etc and i was so broken out. lol. Good observation.

I do have a word of advice I have against "high fat low-carb diets", however. When I first got acne, everything I read online led me to believe leaky gut was causing all my issues. I immediately adopted the typical paleo/candida high fat low carb diet and it messed me up very badly. I developed severe hypothyroidism (extreme chronic fatigue, low libido, slow digestive transit time). Carbs are necessary for the thyroid gland to function, regulating your metabolism, hormones and other aspects of your physiology. I'm no doctor obviously, just my two cents.

I see you mentioning that you hope "this is it". I believe avoidance of acne is not a cure. Most people can handle fermented foods without suffering acne. There is some internal imbalance causing the reaction. I don't want to live the rest of my life avoiding avocados and vinegar in fear.

I see you mentioned you visit a naturopath. Have they done muscle testing to see what part of your body seems to be in the most need? Both naturopaths I've seen say that my gallbladder is the red flag through kinesiology. I have been prepping for liver flushing for a while, and actually am planning on executing my first one tomorrow. My naturopath also helped me get rid of candida, and a good diet to follow etc. Hopefully your naturopath can pinpoint any issues you might have so you can resolve it, and not have to eat such a restrictive diet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic saved me lol.

I'm dairy free and recently started drinking cashew milk. A lot of it. My mother and I have been so god damn sick and itchy since we started. I didnt make the connection. We had a multitude of issues and they all match up to a reaction to a high histamine food. I just randomly read this thread not even knowing cashews are on that list, and never heard about histamine in food before. So thank you for the info, no more cashew milk for me. Soy is bad for you too, so hopefully almond is a safe milk alternative.

It seems, from the tiny but of research I've done, like you can intolerant some high histamine foods and not others. A lot of the things on the list have never seemingly caused issues. I'm not going to go crazy trying to lower my histamine intake but I'm so thankful you presented this. I'm going to be more aware and notice if those foods are triggers.

Edited by Kay24
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys! I got on a low histamine diet myself, with a low histamine list from the whole30.com. I cleared up quickly, but had a breakout today that I attribute to the garlic and onions. I had a prick test a while back that listed garlic as a mild reactant for me.

I'm going to keep trying, though, because it seems to be working for me. histamine was also listed as a reactant on my prick test, though I don't remember how high or low it was.

Edited by Melloman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey, I'm still doing it. But does anyone know why sources aren't consistant with the food that's high or low in histamine? A lot of foods, like blueberries for example, will be listed as low histamine in one source list, but listed as high histamine in another. It's so fustrating! I found a source that said that certain foods start out with low histamine, but gain histamine faster when left out to rot, thus leading to the inconsistant data that's out there.

Anyone know anymore on it? So far, I gather that carrots are one of the best foods in general. They don't spoil easily, loaded with vitamin A, and noticeably makes my acne better. But butternut squash is loaded with vitamin A, listed as low histamine, but I suspect it's causing a small breakout. I know pesticides play a role in causing histamine reactions, so make sure your food is organic! If it doesn't say organic anywhere, then don't risk it. No need to waste cash. I don't think it said organic on the squash, so now if I want a REAL test, I will have to buy more!

Ahh. It feels good to vent. So just know that some low histamine foods may still be causing you grief. Good luck. And if you want better accuracy, order a Mediator Release Test from Florida. Took me a looooong time before I found out on a post here that you could just make a phone call and order the test. If you are sure diet is a part of your acne, it's worth it. It will save your life. it's $495 to anyone who is curious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing with a low histamine diet is that you have to customize it, and there is some trial and error involved. Don't just rely on the lists of things to avoid because that can drive you crazy - there are so many histamine releasers & increasers!

Think of it as a histamine bucket: your body can only take so much histamine per day, so once you are past the threshold, you begin to exhibit allergy symptoms. You might be able to tolerate, say, one tomato, but when you eat 2 you break out. It's as much about quantity as it is about the types of foods you eat.

Also, remember to lower histamine-triggers in your lifestyle in general, not just diet. Eliminate products (e.g. shampoos, cosmetics, lotions) with sulphites (esp. SLS), benzyl alcohol, and salycilates - those seem to be the main triggers. It's a slow process but it really pays off!

I use SOD (superoxide dismutase) supplements whenever I have questionable meals to keep my histamines down. This is because people with histamine issues are deficient in the SOD enzyme that helps break down histamines.

Check out the low histamine chef's website http://thelowhistaminechef.com/ for more information and recipes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing with a low histamine diet is that you have to customize it, and there is some trial and error involved. Don't just rely on the lists of things to avoid because that can drive you crazy - there are so many histamine releasers & increasers!

hahaha, you don't even know how pissed I was on previous diets. I've recently ditched those and I'm more open. Thanks for the link! I've been needing more things in this diet of mine, and I forgot about all those vegan things I ruled out back then because of the list. NNow I keep grains to a minimun, and try to avoid highly cultured things like yeast and what not, which really limits a lot of my would be recipes. I saw the zuchini pasta in the link, and I thought it was spaggeti squash! Yeah, This is a turning point. You have no idea how ,uch this linled helped me, because I just finished a whole box of cereal that I binged on with almond milk. It's not the worst, but it's grains!

Edited by Melloman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing with a low histamine diet is that you have to customize it, and there is some trial and error involved. Don't just rely on the lists of things to avoid because that can drive you crazy - there are so many histamine releasers & increasers!

hahaha, you don't even know how pissed I was on previous diets. I've recently ditched those and I'm more open. Thanks for the link! I've been needing more things in this diet of mine, and I forgot about all those vegan things I ruled out back then because of the list. NNow I keep grains to a minimun, and try to avoid highly cultured things like yeast and what not, which really limits a lot of my would be recipes. I saw the zuchini pasta in the link, and I thought it was spaggeti squash! Yeah, This is a turning point. You have no idea how ,uch this linled helped me, because I just finished a whole box of cereal that I binged on with almond milk. It's not the worst, but it's grains!

Good luck!

Grains are not that bad for histamines btw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Wishclean,

Thanks for pointing me to this link. Have you done anything speciically to improve your histamine intolerance. I know I clear up if I avoid citrus, fermented foods, probiotics and lots of avocados.

I want to find ways by which I can buil;d up tolerance again to these foods.

Thanks

Sucheta

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Wishclean,

Thanks for pointing me to this link. Have you done anything speciically to improve your histamine intolerance. I know I clear up if I avoid citrus, fermented foods, probiotics and lots of avocados.

I want to find ways by which I can buil;d up tolerance again to these foods.

Thanks

Sucheta

What I did was stay consistent on a low histamine diet for many months...for "cheat" days, I take SOD supplements, as noted above. Before SOD, I took digestive enzymes which also helped. If you want to carefully try probiotics, I suggest going for acidophilus.

All the foods you listed are high histamine and/or histamine-releasers, so it's good to avoid them (except avocados...those you can have in moderation maybe). Stick to low histamine foods for a few months, and then start re-adding small amounts of each "forbidden" food gradually and see if you can now tolerate them.

There are 2 types of histamine intolerance, as far I can tell. 1. Is temporary - could be from hormonal imbalances, stress, etc. 2. It's a deficiency (perhaps genetic) of the enzyme that breaks down histamines so that the body can process them more efficiently.

Edited by WishClean
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh god, this looks like another issue for me. I know certain foods give me a temporary red rash like avocados and spinach makes me flush. Is soy milk high in histamines? Jeeezus what can we eat.:(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×