Notifications
Clear all

Accutane 20Mg - 40Mg Questions

MemberMember
(@daizrose)

Posted : 01/02/2015 4:34 pm

Hi everyone I am in my 3rd month on accutane treatment.

I have been on 20mg for 2 months and recently moved up to 40mg but found I couldn't handle the back pain I got on 40 which I hadn't experienced with 20. Did anyone else experience pain in the back when they increased dose and did it go away??

I was scared by it so went back the 20mg a few days ago. Should I go back to 40 and wait it out?

Also, my derm said go take 2 20mg once a day to get the 40 dosage but do u think its ok to space two pills out and will this lessen the painful side effects as I was taking both pills in the morning and feeling awful at work in the afternoon so switched to taking at night but was waking up with a painful lower back !!

Hope to get some advice as I want to take the recommended dose but don't want to suffer too much either. Also I am in the UK so it's difficult to get hold of my dermatologist between appointments so won't be able to call until maybe next week.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 01/02/2015 4:53 pm

Hi

I started on 20mg tane for the first 2 weeks than bumped to 40mg

Initially I took all 40mg at once

I turned BRIGHT red and it freaked me out a bit...so I went continued 40mg but split it am and pm

If I were u I would suggest splitting the dose 20mg am and 20mg pm

OR u can try 30mg by taking 20mg one day and 40the next than back to 20mg

When I bumped to 40mg I didnt have any back pain or joint paint..but the few minimal side effects I have are gone

So I guess my body got used to the dose

GL

Kim

MemberMember
(@nomoreplease13)

Posted : 01/05/2015 11:03 pm

Hi there, I was on 20mg for a month and then bumped up to 40mg - there was definitely a 4-5 day period when I experienced intensified side effects, but they went away!

I have 1 pill in the morning with b/fast, and the second at about 2-3pm in the arvo. I took one at night once and hated it so won't be doing that again. My derm told me to split the pills and not take them both at once. Makes you feel sorry for people on 70-80mg a day!

As for whether you should go back to 40mg .... that's up to you. My Derm told me that increasing the dosage would basically cut the length of the treatment in half, half so that's a bonus. I would hazard a guess that if you were tolerating 20mg then you would tolerate 40mg after an adjustment period.

MemberMember
(@daizrose)

Posted : 01/06/2015 5:37 am

hi, thanks for your replies. I had a busy weekend at work so from today i am going to start taking a pill after breakfast as well as before bed and see how it goes. Hopefully the uncomfortable side effects will go away as i don't want to be on accutane all through the summer ! the sooner its over and I'm clear the better!

MemberMember
(@marilyn414)

Posted : 01/06/2015 7:55 pm

I have the same question myself. I just started Accutane today. My doctor said she was going to start me at 30 mg, which sounded about right, but when I picked up the Rx it was 30 mg twice a day! I called her nurse and she said if I'm nervous I should just take the one 30mg/day until my next visit. I wish there was a clear cut answer on whether or not a super high dose is really necessary. I am 5'4" 130 lbs, and according to the recommended dosage, 60mg is the max. Seems unnecessary. There are so many horror stories on this site about permanent side effects that I want to go as easy on my body as possible!! I'm on Absorica by the way, not sure if the dosage differs from brand to brand. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on your posts since you are just ahead of me! Good luck!!

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 01/06/2015 9:15 pm

Hey just hopping in again because I weight 128-130 and my Dr wanted to start me at 40mg

BUT i wasnt comfy and started at 40mg

She wants to bump me to 60mg than eventually 80mg!!!

Part of me wants to bump up the dose to get this over with sooner than later...but i worry about more serious neg side effects

Im almost on day 50

I did 20mg first 2 weeks and 40mg after

I def think splitting the dose am/pm makes a big difference

it at all, I might try 60mg..split 3x a day

My Dr gave me all 20mg pills...she even suggested bumping to 60mg by doing 40mg one day and 60 the following than back to 40mg

GOOD LUCK

Kim

MemberMember
(@emma23)

Posted : 09/25/2016 3:26 am

Hi there, just read your post. I'm currently on Oratane (different brand name same drug) I began with 20mg a day, and now my derm wants to bump me up to 40mg every second day with 20mg in between (if that makes sense) I've been on it for roughly a month and a half, so far the only side effects I have are dry lips, fatigue, and back pain. But I use this AMZAING moistureizer it's the Redwin Sorbeline (totally recommend) I take my pills of a nighttime after dinner. I find that is the best time of day to take them so your body is not active whilst the pill is working ect. Hope I helped and goodluck.