Notifications
Clear all

What Form(S) Of Dairy Can Your Body Tolerate?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 12/31/2014 9:19 am

I shy away from all "heavy" forms of dairy--meaning I don't eat ice-cream, snack on cheese, have milk with cereal, etc. The only form of dairy that I consume is whatever may be contained within some chocolate and/or certain medications. (I don't go out of my way to eat gobs of milk chocolate, as I've grown accustomed to dark chocolate, anyway.)

I'm wondering what form(s) of dairy I may consider trying. I know that low-fat and 1% milk are ruled out, due to the hormone issue. (It's possible that I couldn't handle 2%, either, and I'm not certain how easy it is to find whole milk these days.) But if you've had success with tolerating some form of dairy--even if goat's milk, etc.--please, let me know.

Thank you,

PI

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 12/31/2014 1:33 pm

I'm just really starting to get serious about my diet & acne, but i've found I can tolerate goat cheese (chevre) pretty easily without noticing a negative response in ys skin and my stomach is happy too. Plus, it's pretty much the most delicious thing on the planet.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 12/31/2014 2:06 pm

I'm just really starting to get serious about my diet & acne, but i've found I can tolerate goat cheese (chevre) pretty easily without noticing a negative response in ys skin and my stomach is happy too. Plus, it's pretty much the most delicious thing on the planet.

I suspect that that has something to do with goat cheese being a soft cheese. I'm almost positive that I once heard/read somewhere that hard cheeses are worse for those of us with skin issues. (They're also harder on people who suffer from migraines.) I suspect there's also the hormone component, as goats likely aren't pumped full of hormones like cows are.

Maybe I'll give Chevre a try. I could have a little bit and wait at least a week. What's the worst that could happen, besides me getting to eat some tasty cheese and possibly develop a cyst, or two? If I were to develop a cyst, at least I'd have my answer as to whether or not my body could handle Chevre.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 12/31/2014 2:25 pm

I suspect that that has something to do with goat cheese being a soft cheese. I'm almost positive that I once heard/read somewhere that hard cheeses are worse for those of us with skin issues. (They're also harder on people who suffer from migraines.) I suspect there's also the hormone component, as goats likely aren't pumped full of hormones like cows are.

Maybe I'll give Chevre a try. I could have a little bit and wait at least a week. What's the worst that could happen, besides me getting to eat some tasty cheese and possibly develop a cyst, or two? If I were to develop a cyst, at least I'd have my answer as to whether or not my body could handle Chevre.

That might also be why I can tolerate a bit of Brie or Camembert, then!

Also, try imported Chevre, because the French don't pump their animals quite so full of hormones as far as I know. My skin was okay (not great) when I lived in France. I'm sure that was due to lots of factors, but I was consuming more dairy-based foods out of a necessity not to starve.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 12/31/2014 2:52 pm

Also, perhaps the reason soft cheeses are better is that they have a lower concentration of casein, the milk protein responsible for a lot of skin & digestive issues?

Does anyone know?

I just looked it up, and sure enough France and Italy, as well as most countries in the EU have very strict laws about growth hormones and dairy animals. And South America and Canda may have similar laws, but I'm not sure of that.

MemberMember
(@noche)

Posted : 12/31/2014 4:14 pm

Well if you decide to drink milk ,which I don't recommend,don't ever drink lactose free or lactaid milk because it will really make you more susceptible to dairy products,even if you don't have dairy,for example, in case that you go eat at a restaurant or somewhere else ,and the food contains a little bit of milk then your body will react to milk worst than before.

I used to drink lactose free milk , and then my body started reacting to cheese ,sour cream ,mayonnaise and salad dresssings were the worst .

MemberMember
(@kirstiealiciagomezgmail-com)

Posted : 01/01/2015 3:37 pm

Personally, I make a valiant effort to avoid all dairy. My exception is goat cheese, as mentioned above, it seems to be okay for me as well and I love it. But goat yogurt causes a lot of digestive issues for me. :/ So there's that.

MemberMember
(@heinstar)

Posted : 01/10/2015 6:04 am

I've recently switched to rice milk from lactose-free milk because I heard that even lactose-free milk has hormones in them. And recent studies show that milk actually isn't that healthy. I'm really liking rice milk because it tastes just like normal milk but gentler on my stomach.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 01/10/2015 11:48 pm

I've recently switched to rice milk from lactose-free milk because I heard that even lactose-free milk has hormones in them. And recent studies show that milk actually isn't that healthy. I'm really liking rice milk because it tastes just like normal milk but gentler on my stomach.

One of these days, I need to give rice milk a try. I've been relying on almond milk but think that it, at times, causes breakouts. It's not often that I get cysts/nodules these days--thank goodness for small favors--but I seem to get one or two nodules after finishing a container of almond milk.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/13/2015 9:46 am

If you can tolerate lactose then you can tolerate any dairy.

If you're having reactions to some dairy products and not others then the chances are you are reacting to other ingredients in the dairy products and not the dairy itself.

Don't over complicate things guys.

There is nothing wrong with dairy unless you are lactose intolerant, and all that means is that your body lacks the enzymes to break down lactose

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/13/2015 3:05 pm

I don't notice any issue with any dairy. Still I limit it. I don't drink milk. And I mostly only have small amounts of fermented dairy such as yogurt and flavorful cheeses which I treat as a condiment, not a food group.

Rules of thumb: Fermented is better than not. Full fat better than skimmed. Grass fed is better than grain fed. Goat better than cow, etc.

As for the hard cheese mentioned above, aged cheeses are only a problem for those intolerant to amines which develop over time. And those people should try to consume only the freshest foods period, not just dairy.

Also, lactose intolerance is not the only issue. It's not uncommon to be allergic for example. And that's just one more of many reasons to limit dairy.

And The growth hormones given to the animals are not the only hormones to be concerned about in dairy. It both contains and stimulates growth hormones intended to make babies grow. And those hormones have negative affects on bodies that are no longer growing. Including negatively affecting several factors involved in acne formation.

More on dairy: on it!

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 01/13/2015 5:43 pm

And The growth hormones given to the animals are not the only hormones to be concerned about in dairy. It both contains and stimulates growth hormones intended to make babies grow. And those hormones have negative affects on bodies that are no longer growing. Including negatively affecting several factors involved in acne formation.

The fact that growth hormones and GMOs are allowed in our food, but banned in that of other countries, says a lot--and nothing good--about most politicians and corporations in the U.S.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/13/2015 6:12 pm

The fact that growth hormones and GMOs are allowed in our food, but banned in that of other countries, says a lot--and nothing good--about most politicians and corporations in the U.S.

Yes it does. And the government controlled by the corporations. So buy as little as possible from big corporations and as much as you can from small local producers.

But that's besides the point. Whether or not hormones have been given to the animals, there are hormones in milk that aren't good for adults or acne. In any country.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 01/13/2015 6:48 pm

Whether or not hormones have been given to the animals, there are hormones in milk that aren't good for adults or acne. In any country.

Still, it irks me that some people can enjoy the occasional dairy-based treat, and people like me break out from it in just about any form.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 01/14/2015 2:44 pm

If you can tolerate lactose then you can tolerate any dairy.

If you're having reactions to some dairy products and not others then the chances are you are reacting to other ingredients in the dairy products and not the dairy itself.

Don't over complicate things guys.

There is nothing wrong with dairy unless you are lactose intolerant, and all that means is that your body lacks the enzymes to break down lactose

Actually, you can be reacting to milk protein: casein.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/15/2015 11:52 am

Whether or not hormones have been given to the animals, there are hormones in milk that aren't good for adults or acne. In any country.

Still, it irks me that some people can enjoy the occasional dairy-based treat, and people like me break out from it in just about any form.

Well I can't have citrus unless I want to break out in cysts.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 01/15/2015 12:54 pm

Well I can't have citrus unless I want to break out in cysts.

I can't have citrus, either, but not due to acne flareups. I also seem to be having troubles--complete energy sap--from gluten and sugar. I'm down to eating practically nothing, it seems. Ugh.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 01/15/2015 3:18 pm

I love bread. How do I even begin to avoid gluten? *cries*

noche liked