Notifications
Clear all

Modified Caveman Regimen + Getting Rid Of Acne Scars

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 12/30/2014 5:45 am

Hey People!

I'm a 16 year old mixed (black & white) girl with moderate acne, which worsens at certain times of the month.

After trying lots of different remedies like Proactiv, Manhatten Clearface and so on, I decided to try the caveman regimen.

My acne came when I was around 12 and followed me on and off for 4 long years. Whenever I used a new product the acne would go away, but only to come back with a vengeance. Now I want to stop this evil cycle and grab the bull by the horns.

I wanted to do the "real" caveman regimen, but I know that I can't go a month without washing my face, so I will be doing a modified caveman regimen:

• Face wash every third day when in the shower. No soap or Cleanser.
  • Face scrub (lemon + sugar) 1-2 times a week, when in the shower.
  • No moisturizer.
  • No makeup, except for mascara and other types of eye makeup.

4 years with acne have left me with hyperpigmentation, since my skin is chocolate brown.

I'm hoping that the weekly scrub will help with that, but I'm very open to suggestions.

I will try to make updates a few times a week, but here's a little one.

Day 3

Oily skin is gone. A little flaking on the chin and around nose. 4 pimples which seem quite dry, and a few comedones on forehead and nose. Quite satisfied with this regimen. It's amazing not having to spend 15-25 minutes in the bathroom morning and evening doing a routine.

I'm going to wash my face in the shower today, wondering whether cold or warm water will be the best?

So long!

Have a nice day

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 12/31/2014 8:51 am

Day 4

I didn't wash my face yesterday, as planned. I wanted to wait as long as possible before washing, but I woke up with flaking between my eyebrows, around my mouth and on my chin. So I chose to scrub my face with some sugar and wash with cold water only. My skin felt refreshed, but looked a little reddish after the scrub.

But now hours later, my skin feels almost as new, fresh and clean. There is still a little flaking on my chin but only visible up close. My acne has "dried up?". It's almost invisible except for two stubborn cysts. I'm looking forward to their disappearance.

My complexion looks clearer in some fashion, eventhough most of the scaring is still very visible. My skin is normally very oily already a few hours after washing, but is has been normal - almost dry - since day 2. I'm thinking that without all the oil, my skin is able to cleanse itself.

I won't be washing my face until day 7, hopefully in the evening.

I'm looking forward to more progress... hopefully.

I'm crossing my fingers!

So long!

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 01/01/2015 6:59 am

Day 5

I forgot to mention a very important thing in this regimen: WATER!

I'm serious though. Water is very important in order to cleanse the skin and flush toxins out. I didn't like water for just a year ago, but now it's my favorite drink... except for pina colada. But it's all down to habits, make sure to bring a bottle of water with you everywhere, in that way you'll see the water and probably also drink it. If you don't like the "taste" of water, you can always add lemon, berries, mint leaves or cucumber. I personally add lemon once in a while and it's great for the skin!

Another way to get water is tea. Green tea is definitely the best; full of antioxidants, benificial for your health, improves fat burning and lowers the risks of different infections. All in all... it's Great!

But now on to the update:

Skin is feeling a little dry around mouth and nose. The flaking is persistent and I am wondering whether the outer layer of my skin is flaking off, after years of "abuse?" After all, years of harsh treatments might have damaged the skin without me knowing.

I'm trying to drink 2-3 litres of water each day, and it mousterizes my skin from the inside out. Everything is going well; there are still two pimples/cysts on my cheeks, but they seem to be healing. It's all in all going great with my skin. This regimen is amazing.

Good luck & So long!

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 01/02/2015 9:24 am

Day 6

After waking up with some serious flaking I decided to change my regimen. From now on I will wash my face with water every second day. I will atleast try this for a while and look at the pros and cons.

But everything is going quite well. I woke up with a new pimple on my chin, but one of the cysts are gone now and I would say that my face is clear except for two pimples and a few whiteheads on my forehead.

My complexion is evening out little by little. I'm hoping for an even skin tone by June. If I keep up this regimen and scrub once or twice a week, I'm sure that I can reach it. Normally the skin rejuvenates every 28th day, and often it takes around 3-5 months (if it is very dark) for a scar to even out, if you scrub once a week. So I am quite sure that I can reach it, but on the other hand a new breakout would indeed be a setback, since the marks after the pimples always end up a shade darker than the rest of the skin. But there isn't much I can do about that than to be consistent with my regimen from now on.

Anyways, everything is going just fine.

Good Luck & So Long!

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 01/03/2015 2:39 pm

Day 7

Everything is going quite well. One less pimple today, no oily skin and no serious flaking.

I have begun to pat my skin, just before going to bed. I mainly do it, because my skin some days ago was quite oily before going to bed and i have now noticed that is doesn't dry out my skin, as long as I only pat lighty and at night only. My skin also feels cleaner afterwards, a feeling that I appreciate after feelng greasy for months, even years, before this regimen.

Good Luck & So Long!

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 01/03/2015 3:56 pm

My acne came when I was 11. I did something similar and cleared my acne, if you want to check it out. It's in my topics section. I have food sensitivities and I think I have leaky gut. So all I focus on is my diet to clear my acne. I also excersice to increase heal time of suspected leaky gut and scars.

If you wanna do process of elimination, you can get a sensitivity test and maybe see a naturopath to do more testing. I think that is better than going in blind.

P.S.

Water is really good. It's literally the only thing I drink. They say you should only drink green tea, water, and one other thing if you are acne prone. but do whatever you want. Thanks for sharing your journey. I'm sure it'll jelp lots of people/

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 01/04/2015 6:06 am

Hey!

I will surely check it out.

It's nice to know that something very similar worked for someone else. It's very uplifting, thanks!

I know that I am sensitive to oily foods like fried food, popcorn and stuff like that. So I'm trying to cut it out of my diet, but I have noticed that green tea helps my skin heal, so I will continue drinking that.

What about Milk? Lots of people say that cowmillk is bad, so I am wondering whether I should stop drinking it.

So Long!

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 01/04/2015 1:27 pm

Day 8

Washed and scrubbed my face today. No big news except that the flaking is gone and that the acne is drying up. Woke up with two small pimples and they are almost gone now. Unbelievable...

Good Luck & So Long!

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 01/05/2015 2:52 pm

Day 9

Went to school today without washing my face in the morning. Everything went well, got a little oily around 2-3 pm, but that's not bad at all. I just patted my face and moved on with my day. Got a little pimple on my left temple, but it's so small and not even red. It will probably be gone soon. I have noticed my skin clearing up, I used to have a lot of comedones all over my face, but they are gone now, and I don't worry about people in my personal space. I don't feel like I have anything to worry about any more.

My skin usually breaks out - a lot - when my period is closing in, but I have only seen one new pimple since yesterday and I can easily live with that.

Hopefully this means that when all the hormones calm down again I can look forward to clear skin? that would be the first time in over a year. That would be nothing less than amazing.

I'm still not seeing any huge improvements in my complexion. It seems more even, but the scars are still there. They are fading, but they are still there. At least I don't have red areas on my face anymore, that alone is a huge improvement for me.

Good Luck & So Long

Melloman liked
MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 01/06/2015 12:42 pm

Happy to see it improving.

The only way to know for sure if you react to dairy is if you test yourself or get tested. Cow milk is riddled with added hormones. So if you want cow milk, you should get organic raw cow milk. A lot of people say they can handle goat milk better than cow milk. Cow milk has more lactose and is harder for people to typically digest than goat milk. I tested feta cheese out because of this, and I broke out after a few days of eating it non-stop. I can get away with eating it every now and then, but I don't.

So, in short, you shouldn't drink it if you react to it, but if you decide to then get organic raw cow milk.

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 01/07/2015 10:16 am

Happy to see it improving.

The only way to know for sure if you react to dairy is if you test yourself or get tested. Cow milk is riddled with added hormones. So if you want cow milk, you should get organic raw cow milk. A lot of people say they can handle goat milk better than cow milk. Cow milk has more lactose and is harder for people to typically digest than goat milk. I tested feta cheese out because of this, and I broke out after a few days of eating it non-stop. I can get away with eating it every now and then, but I don't.

So, in short, you shouldn't drink it if you react to it, but if you decide to then get organic raw cow milk.

Well, I really like Milk and I normally drink it in the mornings, but I will try a week without dairy from monday. Then I'll know for sure.

and afterwards I'll try to get organic raw cow milk.

Thanks for the advice.

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 01/08/2015 10:10 am

Day 12

Nothing extraordinary about the scaring. My skin feels smooth now and I have only 1-2 pimples at a time. No comedones and oily skin is no longer a problem.

My plan was to wash my face today, but I think that I'll wait - perhaps until Saturday or Sunday.

I don't experience flaking anymore, so I'll wait a little longer and push the wash a little further (like a caveman! ^^ )

Good Luck & So Long!

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 01/10/2015 9:53 am

Day 14

Yesterday I experienced a breakout :(

I woke up and had like 7-8 pimples. Some were quite small but two of them were so big, they couldn't go unnoticed. I almost broke down, everything was going so well and now... a new breakout. I started thinking, what did I eat? didn't I drink enough water? Is my hair dirty? Who touched my face? Is my pillowcase clean?

Then I forced myself to relax and I remembered that I had heard of people, who experienced breakouts while doing the caveman. I went online and read about while on the train. It seems like most people experience a breakout or a worsening period 1-3 weeks in, but after that everything keeps improving until clear skin is achieved. The breakouts are simply the body excluding all the toxins that products and so on have left.

It was hard, but i got through it until bedtime. Should I wash my face or leave it alone? I debated with myself until I decided to leave it alone. Today when I woke up some of the pimples were gone and the 2 huge ones are much smaller. It's obviously true that the skin can cleansen itself.

It is now my fourth day without washing and everything is okay. Hopefully there won't be any more breakouts.

Good Luck & So Long!

P.S. It's a very good idea to change pillowcases once or twice a week. I change mine twice a week. It ensures a clean pillow for your face to rest on throughout the night, so that dust, bacteria, sweat, hair products and so on aren't pressed onto the face, which can cause more acne or slow healing.

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 01/14/2015 1:48 pm

Day 18

The pimples after the breakout are gone now. They didn't leave any marks afterwards.

My skin is clearing up again, which motivates me to continue the regimen.

My Main focus will again be getting rid of acne scars.

Good Luck & So Long!

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 01/16/2015 10:24 am

Day 20

My skin on the left side of my face is clear and smooth, but on the right side 1 pimple.

I think that it is from my hair, when it ends up in my face. I have tried to wear my hair up and away from my from my face and it's working wonders.

My sister even told me that my skin looked much better and the complexion more even. It made me so happy to know, that others can see the positive changes in my skin. :)

Good Luck & So Long!

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 01/18/2015 11:59 am

Day 22

After 3 weeks on this regimen I must admit that it's great. My skin is much clearer, some days all clear. My acne scars are healing faster than ever and my confidence is growing every day.

I have changed a lot of things. It started with a wash every third day, then every second day and now? Twice a week... At most.

I still scrub everytime I wash my face. I wash with warm water, scrub and then wash with cold water to close my pores again.

I know that three weeks isn't a long time, and that when it comes to regimens you should wait 2-3 months before concluding the efficacy, and I will continue to update until I can conclude the efficacy, but right now I am sure. This is the best regimen ever! ... At least for me and for my skin. I would recommend it to anyone. Your skin simply gets used to Cleaning itself, after that everything just falls into place.

Good Luck & So Long!

P.S. even my hormonal acne is much less than before!

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 01/23/2015 10:09 am

@HappyLolly...so happy you've found a regimen that is working and that you are seeing results! Best wishes for your continued success!! :)

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 01/24/2015 2:45 pm

@HappyLolly...so happy you've found a regimen that is working and that you are seeing results! Best wishes for your continued success!!

Thank you so much! I genuinely appreciate your well wishes. :)

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 01/25/2015 2:09 pm

Day 29

I washed my face today, so my skin is a little dryer than normal. Everything else is going great. Only got 2 pimples this week and they were gone within 2 days.

Some days ago I did try some fun method to get blackheads and these little dried up pimples - those who look healed, but there is still some 'dried' pus in them - out. After opening my pores with steam, I massaged my face after that I began to focus on the problem areas. After a few minutes I steamed again, before starting to press the blackheads and dried pimples. The yuck inside came right out! after that I steamed again and dried my face.

My face doesn't feel 'bumpy' anymore. It is much smoother.

But my skin feels normal, not oily nor dry. Pimples aren't a problem. And I have learned that keeping my hair out of my face makes quite a difference.

I will try to do a weekly update from now on.

Good Luck & So Long!

MemberMember
(@kamanda)

Posted : 01/26/2015 10:24 am

Hey...sounds like your routine is working well. I have two sons (16 and 15) who quit using nightly BP a couple weeks ago and their skin seems to be doing well too. They both have mild acne but it gets worse as soon as it gets cold out. In the warmer months it's very mild, but once winter comes their acne gets worse. It seemed the BP wasn't really preventing zits and was just making their faces red and irritated-looking. Plus the red marks hang around longer so it looks like more acne than it really is.

So they decided to quit using the BP and honestly their skin looks better. They do still get some zits but no more than what they got while on BP. And they heal faster. They do wash with a mild cleanser just once a day but that's all they are doing. So far, so good.

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 01/26/2015 1:23 pm

I also used BP once, and I agree. It didn't really do anything for me except for irritating my skin. At that time I actually thought that the irritation meant that it worked, but I was wrong. It only made it worse.

That's why I decided to try the caveman, though with my own personal touch.

It takes some getting used to, but after that it's definitely worth it.

I think that stopping the use of BP was a very wise choice. I'm hoping the best for your two boys!

Good Luck!

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 02/01/2015 12:34 pm

Week 5

Dare I say it? Clear skin!

It's true. The last 4-5 days I have had clear skin. It's amazing! But I must admit that I am still studying my face at times, in order to make sure that new pimples aren't popping up.

My complexion is evening out nicely, but it will still take some time - probably 2-3 months - before my complexion is even. But I am sure that as long as I keep up my regimen, I will continue to see progress.

Good Luck & So Long!

Melloman liked
MemberMember
(@nettie25)

Posted : 02/28/2015 2:21 am

I am on day 24 of the caveman regimen and I am experiencing similar results. It's amazing!!! I also had the exact same thing as you, a breakout around day 14, but I was determined to stick it out for at least a month. By day 18 or 19, the breakout just completely disappeared! I was shocked. Usually a breakout would take weeks to clear and then a new one would be forming to take its place. This has been the most amazing and effective thing I've ever done for my skin. I'm so happy! I'm 28 years old and been dealing with acne since I was 14....oh how i wish I'd known about this when I was your age! I coulda had perfect skin the rest of high school and in college!! Lol, oh well....at least I managed to have perfect skin on my wedding day (a very rare achievement haha).

My skin erupted this past year once I started trying to wean off of bp and the other topicals...ii wanted to do a natural method. I tried the oil cleansing method which did NOT work for me, african black soap which helped a little, and 20% salicylic acid peels which gave results but forced me to stay in and away from people for up to a week because of the redness and peeling. I even bought a $200 acne blue light therapy lamp. None of that cleared me...so I decided to try something I'd never tried...doing nothing! Who woulda thought, right? So cheap and easy! So exciting. I'm so excited that you wont have to spend the next 12 years looking for a solution like I did!

MemberMember
(@happylolly)

Posted : 03/28/2015 2:46 pm

I have now been on this regimen for 3 months now. It works perfectly! My skin is healing itself. I only experience a pimple or two up to my period. That's it. All my scars are healing, most are already gone.

My friends have begun to ask me, what my secret is! They all know how bad my acne was, so seeing my skin clear is like a testimony.

I'm so happy and much more confident. I no longer fear getting close to people. I no longer avoid people touching my face. Even better I'm no longer paranoid when it comes to keeping my face clean.

I always tell my "secret" when people ask. Everyone should try this! For years and years i looked after that one solution. I could saved so much time and money if I had heard of this earlier!

I hope you all reach your goals!

Good Luck and So Long!

Rachie39 liked
MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 03/29/2015 6:03 am

Good for you! If products are the thing that is irritating your skin, then this will work well. My acne is mainly hormonal and the caveman did nothing for me. It's great that you're discovering all of this while you're young.

Are you ever planning on wearing makeup? If so, how will you cleanse with that?