Notifications
Clear all

Do I Have Post Inflammatory Erythema (Pie)?

MemberMember
(@joone)

Posted : 12/29/2014 11:31 am

I'm wondering if I have PIE as my GP has never told me I have it. People think I pick my acne spots, which I don't. I don't know what this scarring is resulting from. I'm worried about my skin. I have searched on the internet the different types of acne scars and I have come across three which I don't have. My acne scars look nothing like ice pick scars or box scars. I have quite light skin - almost olive and these red marks sometimes appear purple and blue when I look very closely.

I have researched Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation and I believe I don't have it because I have light skin and these marks aren't brown or dark. However, when I apply pressure with my finger on these scars, I can't see it turn white - which is why I wonder if I have it or not.

I have had acne scarring like this in the past and topical creams have slightly helped the healing process and is usually clear by the summer. However, after summer, I get breakouts again due to the change in weather and it usually lasts until the end of Winter. These scars are faded a lot in the summer. It's so confusing lol.

Also, I have waxed the areas of my chin and cheeks before as I suffer from PCOS - I have facial hair Are these dilated capillaries a result of waxing? I've had acne for about four to five years (I'm 16 now) and the acne scars resulted in these breakouts have always been like this.

Do ice pick scars and box scars only occur due to picking the pimples?

I have a picture of my red acne scars, if you'd like to see.

[Edited link out]

As you can see, I have pretty bad skin at the moment and I am on medication which is helping heal the acne. I have just started this medication so you can see the breakout atm. eww.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/29/2014 11:30 pm

Your picture shows hyperpigmentation.

This is very common with acne.

Some of mine still haven't faded after years of waiting, peels, and laser treatments.

I'm not sure why you don't think you have PIH...PIH is not always "brown" in light skin it is most commonly red or purple, which is exactly what your picture shows. My PIH looks exactly like yours, so...

MemberMember
(@the-uphill-battle)

Posted : 01/03/2015 1:44 am

I agree with green gables. I'm also fair skinned and experience hyperpigmentation that is red or purple. It fades eventually with time, for me it seems like it takes forever, though.

MemberMember
(@joone)

Posted : 01/08/2015 4:25 pm

Could someone explain what hyperpigmentation is? I dont pick my pimples but still have marks left over due to it. I think i have a good immune system idk.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/13/2015 7:05 pm

Could someone explain what hyperpigmentation is? I dont pick my pimples but still have marks left over due to it. I think i have a good immune system idk.

HYPERpigmentation is an area of skin that is darker than your "base color."

HYPOpigmentation is an area of skin that is lighter than your base color.

So if you have red, brown, purple, or some shade of darker marks on your skin where a pimple was, then it's probably hyperpigmentation.

MemberMember
(@jeraldacnemarkedcheeks)

Posted : 03/27/2017 6:33 pm

Same my marks are so annoying too. They make me so upset.  (Curreeently on a accutane though!)IMG_3461.JPGIMG_3468.JPGIMG_3471.JPG