Notifications
Clear all

Acne/new Boyfriend

MemberMember
(@betty372)

Posted : 12/28/2014 2:57 pm

Hi all, I'm new to this website. To start, I'm 18 years old and so is my new boyfriend. We just started dating recently, but I know we're both already very into each other. Well, for the past few nights, he's been inviting me to sleep over. In all honesty, I really want to and I'm eager to share that experience with him.

Unfortunately, I'm in the midst of a really bad hormonal breakout of whiteheads all along my chin, around my mouth, and on my jawline. My skin is normally okay with the exception of a few scars or a pimple here and there, but the state of it right how has me very upset and self-conscious. I find myself trying to cancel plans with him because I feel to self-conscious about my skin to even leave my house. He doesn't have perfect skin either and I don't mind at all, but that doesn't make me feel any better about my skin.

Anyways, I want to sleep over with him, but I also don't want to be burdened with the decision of sleeping with a face full of makeup and waking up with even worse skin versus taking my makeup off and letting him see me with bare, broken out skin.

It sounds very superficial, but I've been honestly very stressed out about this. i really want this new relationship to last, but I can't seem to overcome my acne insecurities.

Any help or advice, especially, is greatly appreciated!!

MemberMember
(@jjn)

Posted : 12/28/2014 5:25 pm

There should be medications that help with hormonal acne. You should see your derm to get a prescription.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 12/28/2014 7:16 pm

Open, honest communication I think is the most important in any relationship, but especially so near the beginning. So just be honest with him, tell him you're uncomfortable because you're in the midst of a bad breakout but it's not that you don't want to spend the night, it's just a bad time. That way he won't feel like you're turning him down and maybe it'll open up conversation about how you feel about your skin. That's how my boyfriend and I were in the beginning. But he listened and told me that he doesn't care about that kind of stuff, but will wait for me to feel more comfortable with it. And now, we live together! :)

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 12/28/2014 7:57 pm

He wont care about your breakouts trust me. But what he will care about is you canceling plans with him and he doesnt know why. So I would either go over there and do whatever you normally do skin care wise or talk to him about it. Either way Im sure itll be fine!

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 12/29/2014 1:56 am

If you only just started dating I wouldn't suggest delving too deep into any type of discussion about insecurity.

If this type of breakout isn't common for you and you believe that it is only temporary, you could always tell your boyfriend you've got the flu and wait patiently until the breakout passes. If you're still dating after 6 months and experience bad breakouts then you might want to start communicating more efficiently.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 12/30/2014 12:57 am

I think you should sleep over with him (if you really are ready to be with him like that). However, if you really can't tell him how you feel or are worried he will be bothered by your skin, maybe you're not ready to be with him so intimately.

I think if he's in to you - and it sounds like he definitely is - he won't mind your skin. He might not even notice. I had a similar experience with a new boyfriend this past month. I was depressed and anxious and found myself being terse with him, when really it was about my skin. Finally I told him about what I was feeling, and he listened, and was understanding and I think it brought us closer. It was very vulnerable. (We were already intimate at this point, but we did that thing where you hop into bed before actually really knowing each other. Don't recommend it, but it seems to work well for me.)

He told me he barely noticed my skin. I don't know how! But I didn't notice a weird mole that popped up out of nowhere on his forehead (he had it biopsied, it was fine), so maybe it's just the afterglow of falling for someone.

Especially if this guy has his own skin issues, he'll be understanding. Also, I think maybe going over and focusing on him, not on your face, might make you forget about your skin for a while.

As far as your skincare regimen, you can go take care of it privately in the bathroom before you go to sleep. Since you've planned to spend the night, it's totally not a faux-pas to bring your toiletries. =)

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 01/04/2015 8:36 am

If he has a problem with how your skin looks like, then he is not your boyfriend.

MemberMember
(@the-uphill-battle)

Posted : 01/04/2015 9:13 am

I felt similarly when my now husband and I began first dating. I would like to say that I was honest with him from the beginning, but I wasnt. I slept over several times and slept in my makeup.

Down the road when I felt safer, I was able to talk more openly about my skin issues. He was completely understanding and reassuring, but I can't help but feel like he would have been put off by that kind of conversation really early in our relationship. That's why I went about it the way I did.. So I totally understand your predicament. You just need to do what feels right and comfortable for you, whatever that may be.