Notifications
Clear all

Scared Of Going On Accutane Due To Side Effects (Mild Acne)

MemberMember
(@bonvivant12)

Posted : 12/26/2014 9:53 pm

I'm a 19 year old female and have mild, but very persistent acne. I can't remember a day when I woke up and was happy with the way my skin looked. The acne I get is mostly cystic, it starts underneath my skin and takes anywhere from 3-7 days to actually surface. Right now I have 3 on my chin and other puss filled pimples on my cheeks and jawline. I also have blackheads on my nose and suffer from extremely oily skin, but I think the oiliness is mostly genetic because my dad has oily skin. Redness and scarring is a constant issue, too.

I've spent thousands of dollars on face washes and lotions and nothing ever works for me. No exaggeration. I've never tried any actual treatments, this will be my first time going to a dermatologist and hearing what he/she has to say, but I'm open to whatever they offer. The only reason I would prefer Accutane is because of its success rate. I don't want a bullsh*t prescription that will only work for a few weeks to a month. If I wanted that then I would turn to the products I have access to right now.

The only thing that discourages me is the side effects. I've read a lot of personal stories and most people only seem to have overly dry skin and lips, but what if I'm one of the few who end up hospitalized? I'm a hypochondriac and that thought scares the hell out of me. I guess I'm just looking for whatever reassurance I can get.

*Note that I may not go on the drug if prescribed something else, it's more of a last resort if nothing works out*

Thank you in advance.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 12/29/2014 11:58 pm

I've never taken Accutane (and don't think I ever will at this point), but I've been doing research, especially on this forum. There are a lot of side effects that can be debilitating and permanent, threatening your quality of life - hair loss, sexual dysfunction, joint pain, IBS, and even worse scarring... I'm sure I'm not even getting into the extensive list of long-term effects. I'm sure you've seen those threads on here. This doesn't happen for everyone but there is always a risk. Plenty of people have been helped by Accutane, but it's a SERIOUS, SERIOUS drug and should not be used lightly. I think it really should be used only as a last resort.

If you are starting with the dermatologist for the first time, it's highly unlikely they will even suggest Accutane for you at this point, but you could discuss it with them. However, there are a plethora of other treatments that may work for you with far less risk. Spirolactine, birth control pills, antibiotics, probiotics. If you have mild to moderate acne, you should definitely lean towards these options in my opinion.

Have you tried going on the pill? How long have you been suffering from acne?

I've suffered from mild-to-moderate persistent acne a lot like what you've described - cheeks, but mostly chin and jaw. My skin tends to be dry, though, not oily except at that time of the month. Certain birth control pills have helped in the past (the one I'm on right now, Aubra, does not, and makes me crank and feel like I'm pregnant so I'll be changing my prescription after this month). Also, I thought nothing topical could help my acne but surprisingly, PanOxyl Creamy Wash with 4% Benzoyl Peroxide has been the most effective thing I've tried, and right now my skin, while not completely clear yet, is no longer red and the stubborn small cysts are shrinking and fading. I use it with a SA scrub and a very emollient moisturizer. I have one tiny little whitehead that is so insignificant right now, I'm laughing when I see it. The hyperpigmentation is already better, and this is after two weeks. This particular product works for me (at least at the moment) but it may not for you; I'm only suggesting that even when nothing else seems to work, sometimes you come across a miracle.

Best of luck! I hope you find a treatment plan that works for you. I know how it feels to wake up and hate the way your skin looks. We're here for you!

MemberMember
(@youbetterloveyourself)

Posted : 12/30/2014 5:12 am

Throw the shit in the garbage.

MemberMember
(@yetanotheraccutanevictim)

Posted : 12/30/2014 10:19 am

Throw the shit in the garbage.

+1

MemberMember
(@majorpackerfan)

Posted : 12/31/2014 4:13 am

Accutane has a 66% CURE RATE for acne. Yes a CURE RATE. That is a word that has never been able to been associated with Acne.

Accutane is VERY EFFECTIVE at curing acne.

The most common side effects are dry skin and dry lips. These can be battled with a good moisturizer and constant chap stick application (not so bad, I got used to it), and these side effects usually subside within a month. Nothing to worry about.

To respond too Siribai's "side effects". Sexual dysfunction, Hair Loss are not side effects of Accutane. Accutane has been studied and found that these side effects are so rare that they probably aren't even related to Accutane (55 year old man who gets an ED while on accutane doesn't really prove much).

I would highly recommend accutane for the type of acne you have explained, it will clear you up for the rest of your life!

I've found that most "hate mongers of Tane" have:

A. Never taken it

B. Had a bad experience that MAY or MAY NOT have actually been related to Tane

C. Holistic People

Go to a Derm, see what he/she recommends and GOOD LUCK!

Keep us updated!

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 01/01/2015 8:56 pm

Accutane has a 66% CURE RATE for acne. Yes a CURE RATE. That is a word that has never been able to been associated with Acne.

The most common side effects are dry skin and dry lips. These can be battled with a good moisturizer and constant chap stick application (not so bad, I got used to it), and these side effects usually subside within a month. Nothing to worry about.

To respond too Siribai's "side effects". Sexual dysfunction, Hair Loss are not side effects of Accutane. Accutane has been studied and found that these side effects are so rare that they probably aren't even related to Accutane (55 year old man who gets an ED while on accutane doesn't really prove much).

I would highly recommend accutane for the type of acne you have explained, it will clear you up for the rest of your life!

A. Never taken it

C. Holistic People

Keep us updated!

What about all the TEENAGE and young men who report low sperm counts, impotence and ED after going on Accutane? These are not normal in healthy young men. And to be relevant to this thread, there also are women who report anorgasmia (the inability to have an orgasm) and low libido and vaginal dryness, symptoms that persist indefinitely.

I'm not trying to "hatemonger" Accutane. I just think it's a serious, serious drug and I don't think you should embark on it lightly. If you have mild cystic acne it may clear up using other products or after a few years - it may just be a phase.

Dubya_B liked
MemberMember
(@majorpackerfan)

Posted : 01/01/2015 10:13 pm

A. Never taken it

C. Holistic People

Keep us updated!

What about all the TEENAGE and young men who report low sperm counts, impotence and ED after going on Accutane? These are not normal in healthy young men. And to be relevant to this thread, there also are women who report anorgasmia (the inability to have an orgasm) and low libido and vaginal dryness, symptoms that persist indefinitely.

I'm not trying to "hatemonger" Accutane. I just think it's a serious, serious drug and I don't think you should embark on it lightly. If you have mild cystic acne it may clear up using other products or after a few years - it may just be a phase.

Where is your evidence besides the 5 people on the forums complaining about not getting it up (99% of the time that is just mental, not physical).

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 01/02/2015 12:02 pm

Google it and the evidence is there. It's definitely more than 5 people, and it's mostly young men. I agree that it can be mental, but these people say that they face a problem even by themselves - it's not just a psychological problem. Maybe the problem will reverse itself. I certainly hope so.

Also, on a wider level, a simple wikipedia search of isoretinoin reveals a long list of rare and very rare side effects including, but not limited to, hepatitis, convulsions, diabetes, arthritis, intercranial hypertension and all sorts of things that personally I'd rather not risk.

Again, not a drug to take lightly. That's all. Understand your risks and weigh what the cost of clear skin is to you!

Dubya_B liked
MemberMember
(@majorpackerfan)

Posted : 01/02/2015 3:51 pm

They are called rare side effects because they are.. well rare. Many of them MAY or MAY NOT be related to the actual drug itself.

I am 100 % believer that clear skin will improve quality of life from personal experience. Acne can destroy self esteem, and getting clear can improve self image/mental health.