Notifications
Clear all

Hyperpigmentation And Red Scars/spots! Help Please!

MemberMember
(@veenax)

Posted : 12/22/2014 10:13 pm

Hello everyone, I started getting really bad acne after I made a trip to my country in January 2014 for 2 weeks. Few weeks after I came back, I started developing really bad acne. My face was clear before that. Anyways, around May I found out about Acne.org, and after 3 weeks of the treatment with BP, my acne went away really fast. However I am left with tons, i mean tons! of red spots on my cheeks, and its horrible. Even the though the active acne went away but the spots are far more annoying. Since May, its been nearly 7 months since my acne left but not the red spots. its really annoying.

For 7 months, I have tried multiple lactic, AHA Glycolic, and even 3 Fraxel Laser treatment, however my skin barely improved an ounce. I have been wearing sunscreen for the last 7 months, every single day. But still no improvement. I have been using BP since May, and I was told by a friend that BP is preventing the spots from going away, is this true? He said that the BP chemicals doesnt let the peels or the laser do its job. I dont know if this is true. But please someone help.

Its been 7 months with these spots but nothing is working. Please help! and any help appreciated!

MemberMember
(@veenax)

Posted : 12/22/2014 10:31 pm

Double post

MemberMember
(@veenax)

Posted : 12/23/2014 7:15 pm

Any help anyone?

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 12/23/2014 7:30 pm

Is it just red spots or both red and brown? Red spots are classified as post inflammatory erythema. Blood vessels beneath your skin are pumping higher volumes of blood to the injured area which means you will get red spots. There is a separate treatment for that too, so standard AHAs won't do much. If its brown spots, AHAs will definitely work.

MemberMember
(@veenax)

Posted : 12/24/2014 11:39 am

Its mostly red spots. So what should i do

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 12/26/2014 5:50 pm

i'd also like to know

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 12/26/2014 6:06 pm

a little research will go a long way.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 12/26/2014 7:11 pm

please expand if you know the answer. I know AHA are good for PIH but the redness caused from blood vessels constricting or rushing to the site.. pretty sure there isn't anything than can be done other than waiting it out.

or something like v beam or fraxel laser

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 12/26/2014 8:18 pm

please expand if you know the answer. I know AHA are good for PIH but the redness caused from blood vessels constricting or rushing to the site.. pretty sure there isn't anything than can be done other than waiting it out.

or something like v beam or fraxel laser

the reason why I said that was because he's asking me what to do without doing some research for himself. I've given my 2 cents on the subject. I'm assuming he is intellectual enough to use google.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 12/27/2014 6:42 am

ok fair enough. but the whole point of this forum is to help, something obvious to one may not be to another. Plus the shear amount of info on google is crazy, but of course getting a starting point here to then go and do your own research is important.

can i ask you then what is the best method if there is one, for removing red marks?

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 12/27/2014 11:32 am

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#redmarks

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 12/28/2014 10:16 pm

ok fair enough. but the whole point of this forum is to help, something obvious to one may not be to another. Plus the shear amount of info on google is crazy, but of course getting a starting point here to then go and do your own research is important.

can i ask you then what is the best method if there is one, for removing red marks?

Personally I have had red marks in the past, and the only way I would fade it is by simply waiting it out. Takes a few months yes.

I've talked to many dermatologists in the past and they've told me the best treatment would be pulsed dye laser. Now, rosacea patients are given that treatment and it does, in fact, work. Will it work on red marks? Absolutely. However these things tend to cost a lot, like a serious amount of dough ($900+) if done by a professional.

Are your red marks a really deep red color?

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 12/30/2014 6:29 pm

Personally I have had red marks in the past, and the only way I would fade it is by simply waiting it out. Takes a few months yes.

I've talked to many dermatologists in the past and they've told me the best treatment would be pulsed dye laser. Now, rosacea patients are given that treatment and it does, in fact, work. Will it work on red marks? Absolutely. However these things tend to cost a lot, like a serious amount of dough ($900+) if done by a professional.

Yeah I've had many a red mark in my time. However they would normally heal and blend with my skin tone really quick say 2-3 weeks max unless it was something i picked at like hard.

yeah the marks are deep red, well dark at least not bright red. how come?

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 12/31/2014 7:10 am

Yeah I've had many a red mark in my time. However they would normally heal and blend with my skin tone really quick say 2-3 weeks max unless it was something i picked at like hard.

if its 2-3 weeks I wouldn't even treat it bro, you could easily go 2-3 weeks im sure its not even that big of a deal for you.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 12/31/2014 7:23 am

if its 2-3 weeks I wouldn't even treat it bro, you could easily go 2-3 weeks im sure its not even that big of a deal for you.

no no - you miss understood what I said, sorry i will clarify. Before accutane (pre-accutane) if my skin broke out and i picked at it, the PIH would last for about 2-3 weeks before looking totally normal. Now Post-accutane the marks are not clearing up. its been months.

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 12/31/2014 7:32 am

no no - you miss understood what I said, sorry i will clarify. Before accutane (pre-accutane) if my skin broke out and i picked at it, the PIH would last for about 2-3 weeks before looking totally normal. Now Post-accutane the marks are not clearing up. its been months.

that should be a sign for you to stop picking at it dude :P Seriously the only time i'd pick at a pimple is when it has a head, and id just grab a needle and poke it, then drain the pus by putting a piece of cloth on it to absorb, no pressure what so ever. Don't use your fingers, etc. What kind of pimples are we talking about here? Do you have cystic acne?

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 12/31/2014 8:10 am

that should be a sign for you to stop picking at it dude Seriously the only time i'd pick at a pimple is when it has a head, and id just grab a needle and poke it, then drain the pus by putting a piece of cloth on it to absorb, no pressure what so ever. Don't use your fingers, etc. What kind of pimples are we talking about here? Do you have cystic acne?

yeah its something i've struggled with for sure. I have 0 acne now, or should i say 99% no acne. I would get clogged pores which could become inflamed and i as i said would squeeze the content out, leaving a mark behind, so my skin would never be fully clear.

I took accutane on a low does 20mg for 4.5 months before i got headaches and had to stop. now all the spots/zits i had have all come to a head and gone and so i am left with post inflammatory hyperpigmentation pretty much on my forehead and left cheek only. neck and right cheek is ok. Oh and I never used to scar (indent) easily unless picking at a big spot. But now across my forehead i would say i have 10 or so small indentations (some are like pin prick in size) two are more chicken pock in size.

I have also now seemingly developed folliculitus which is causing red itchy bumps across my head.

I do wish so much that I never took the drug.. but i am where i am.

I hope in time the marks will fade and that trapped pores/spots dont crop up much. One thing that scares me or worries me a lot is wondering if these marks will always take months and months to heal now. Will the skin ever be healthy again?! I am tempted to use aqua glycolic acid face wash and see how i go, but i also dont want to create any irritation and cause new spots or trapped pores...