Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone And Weird Menstrual Cycle

MemberMember
(@luckykitkat)

Posted : 12/21/2014 10:24 pm

I know Spironolactone cause irregular menstrual periods but any ladies have long menstrual cycles with it? I started Spironolactone a few days before my menstrual and it's making my menstrual cycle long (2wks as of this post and don't know if it's gonna stop or not)!!!

I'm also having an initial breakout. Is this normal? I thought it wouldn't have an initial breakout since spiro lowers the testosterone level. I'm not on hormonal birth control to regulate my period (My obgyn won't allow me to be on hormonal birth control so don't tell me that). At this rate I think I would want to stop the spiro and get on doxycycline again or try other meds. Any advice?

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 12/22/2014 9:27 am

it can happen for sure when i first started spiro i had 2 periods a month for the first 3-4 months and then it tapered off to once a month. it didnt make mine any longer but i have known other people on here that had that issue. i would talk to your derm or your gyno if you are concerned about it. most people do have an initial breakout when starting it and it will take at least 3-6 months to really kick in. i would take antibiotics with it for the first 3-6 months and then slowly wean off from there. i started keflex about 2 months into taking spiro and it cleared me up really fast i wish i would have pushed for it right when i started taking it i think i could have avoided some of the scarring i got. only thing i can tell you is for me spiro was 100% worth it because it is the only thing that has kept me clear and cyst free for over 2 years. good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@luckykitkat)

Posted : 12/26/2014 11:14 pm

it can happen for sure when i first started spiro i had 2 periods a month for the first 3-4 months and then it tapered off to once a month. it didnt make mine any longer but i have known other people on here that had that issue. i would talk to your derm or your gyno if you are concerned about it. most people do have an initial breakout when starting it and it will take at least 3-6 months to really kick in. i would take antibiotics with it for the first 3-6 months and then slowly wean off from there. i started keflex about 2 months into taking spiro and it cleared me up really fast i wish i would have pushed for it right when i started taking it i think i could have avoided some of the scarring i got. only thing i can tell you is for me spiro was 100% worth it because it is the only thing that has kept me clear and cyst free for over 2 years. good luck to you!

Right. My period lasted 2weeks although i'm spotting for a few days now? I stopped Spiro and I guess my body is adjusting to stopping it? My skin is getting back to normal. I have a bit of scarring right now but my scars tend to fade away fairly quickly since I exfoliate once a week and use retain-a daily. I meet my derm next Mont hand try something new.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 12/27/2014 12:02 pm

Did your docs tell you to stop? There isnt really anything else besides accutane though. Good luck to you but with the period thing and spiro your body would have adjusted at some point.

MemberMember
(@luckykitkat)

Posted : 12/29/2014 1:30 am

Did your docs tell you to stop? There isnt really anything else besides accutane though. Good luck to you but with the period thing and spiro your body would have adjusted at some point.

He told me I can stop after trying it or keep going. My skin isn't bad enough for accutane since I only get cyst acne around the time of the month. This month was just horrible. My 2 wk period and 1 wk spotting has stopped though. My cyst acne has gone down too (still there but shrunk down a lot & not so painful). I believe I see my derm on the 12th next month. So I'll see if there's anything else I can try. I wanted to ask them about sulfur products since I read it's good or acne.

With the spiro I didn't notice any diuretic effect just the irregular period. I don't think I would mind it if I could be on hormonal birth control to regulate the periods though but it's not for me at the moment.