Retin A

MemberMember
(@supsarah)

Posted : 12/21/2014 11:46 am

I have mild acne and have been using Ziana for a year, which worked great in the beginning but stopped working. My doctor now put me on some antibiotics called Doxycycline Hyclate and Retin A. It's been a little over a week, but I want to give up because my skin looks worse than it did to begin with. I broke out more and it's actually more red than it usually is (Redness had never been a problem for me, which is what made it tolerable). I'm honestly afraid to continue because i don't want it to get worse. I know many people have said the first 2-3 weeks are the worst, but I can't deal with this emotionally. Should I just quit now or tough it out? Also, what do these antibiotics do? I'm scared too that if I quit Retin A, my skin will stay this bad and not go back to the mildness I'm used to and actually miss at this point

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 12/21/2014 6:23 pm

There is no way around the initial breakout on a retinoid. I recommend you tough it out as that will be the only way to know of it works. Using an antimicrobial such as benzoyl peroxide in the AM may help to curb the breakouts.

Stay Strong

MemberMember
(@supsarah)

Posted : 12/23/2014 12:31 am

I know, it just sucks D:

MemberMember
(@hapamommy)

Posted : 12/23/2014 3:21 pm

You really have to give the meds time to work. It's going to take 3-4 weeks and it sounds like you're going through initial breakout which will purge it. Just keep at it and the oral meds should help clear you from the inside. It's purpose is to kill the bacteria that causes the acne. And since Ziana stopped working you really need to see this through. A lot of people feel things get worse before it gets better. just be patient and if it works it'll be worth it.

MemberMember
(@supsarah)

Posted : 12/27/2014 11:44 am

I'm just so nervous that it won't work! The redness has gone away though, I think it was because I was rinsing my face with a salicylic acid face wash and I know with Retin A it's best to use a non medicated face wash while your skin adjusts.

So far I just finished week 2. Anyone know if week 3 is any better?