Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Q's?

MemberMember
(@padresfan644)

Posted : 12/20/2014 4:09 pm

I have had moderate to sever acne since 7th grade. Back then I didn't think much of it. But now getting to be a sophomore in high school I am starting to feel the social, emotional, and physical effects of acne. I know I don't have the worst acne in the world, but it is very bothering to look into the mirror and see blemishes. Naturally, I have a very outgoing personality. Recently with my acne I have found myself not hanging out with friends as much and just generally trying to avoid people when I get a bad breakout. I have been going to the dermatologist for about 8 months and have seen some improvement with some acne laser treatments. Before that I had tried every store bought acne treatment available. The Doxycycline I was on has little to no improvement. I am very disappointed in the persistence of my acne and am wondering if it time to think about Accutane? Are side effects based on dosage?

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 12/20/2014 6:21 pm

Side effects are based on dosage, yes. Typically, you will experience side-effects like lip and skin dryness at any practical dose, it's the severity that increases with dose. The other scary side-effects people mention are not as dose-dependent, but making sure you are taking an appropriate dose will probably reduce the risk (although these side-effects are much, much less common).

There is some debate as to whether improvement is based on dosage as well - the prevailing wisdom is 1-2mg per kg of weight to reach a cumulative dose of 120mg/kg over the course of treatment for maximum effectivess, with the risk of relapse increasing at below this cumulative dose. There are a whole bunch of threads detailing the reasoning for this issue, I'll come back and link some when I have a moment. Also, recently, more focus has been put on low-dose, long-tem regimens with the idea that you can reach your cumulative dose over a longer period and reduce some of the side-effects. The jury is still out on whether this treatment is as effective as traditional higher-dose treatments, but initial reports seem promising.

To answer your other question about whether or not you should take accutane, that is a decision you should make between your dermatologist and you. If you have only tried store-bought treatments and doxycycline, you migh consider other prescription topicals depending on the type of acne you have. If it's more cystic (i.e., the super painful under-the-skin acne), you might look into other antibiotics - minocycline or sulfa for example. I am not a huge fan of antibiotics, I experienced more side-effects from them than accutane, but they do work for many people and might be a worthwhile option if you are concerned about long-term side effects of accutane.

MemberMember
(@user0617)

Posted : 12/22/2014 11:23 pm

I have had moderate to sever acne since 7th grade. Back then I didn't think much of it. But now getting to be a sophomore in high school I am starting to feel the social, emotional, and physical effects of acne. I know I don't have the worst acne in the world, but it is very bothering to look into the mirror and see blemishes. Naturally, I have a very outgoing personality. Recently with my acne I have found myself not hanging out with friends as much and just generally trying to avoid people when I get a bad breakout. I have been going to the dermatologist for about 8 months and have seen some improvement with some acne laser treatments. Before that I had tried every store bought acne treatment available. The Doxycycline I was on has little to no improvement. I am very disappointed in the persistence of my acne and am wondering if it time to think about Accutane? Are side effects based on dosage?

Wow. You are literally in the same position I am. My acne started at the same time and I'm currently a sophomore in high school. I would 100% recommend Accutane. My treatment is done in 2 days and it is easily the best decision I have ever made. Within two months of starting my skin was flawless, and I've had no pimples since. Its so nice not having to worry about people staring at my face, or obsessing over how to cover things up with makeup.

Side effects are based on dosage. The higher dose you take the drier you will be. The only other side effect I experienced was some lower back pain, but it wasn't bad at all. Accutane was so worth it, nothing compares to having clear skin.

legomom liked
MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 12/23/2014 8:14 am

Wow. You are literally in the same position I am. My acne started at the same time and I'm currently a sophomore in high school. I would 100% recommend Accutane. My treatment is done in 2 days and it is easily the best decision I have ever made. Within two months of starting my skin was flawless, and I've had no pimples since. Its so nice not having to worry about people staring at my face, or obsessing over how to cover things up with makeup.

Side effects are based on dosage. The higher dose you take the drier you will be. The only other side effect I experienced was some lower back pain, but it wasn't bad at all. Accutane was so worth it, nothing compares to having clear skin.

Can I ask your weight/dose/duration

Thanks

Im in a little over a mnth now of tane

I weigh 128-130 and am on 40mg and dealing with the IB I was hoping I wouldnt be!

My Dr wants to bump to 60mg than 80mg

I prefer staying on 40mg longer period

thanks, kim

MemberMember
(@padresfan644)

Posted : 12/23/2014 10:11 pm

Did you find your dermatologist to be reluctant to prescribe you accutane?

My dorm wants me to go through a round of PDTs. They scare me a little. And my reasoning was if accutane is more successful historically why not just go with accutane.

MemberMember
(@user0617)

Posted : 01/01/2015 11:20 pm

Thanks

I weigh 128-130 and am on 40mg and dealing with the IB I was hoping I wouldnt be!

thanks, kim

Im 115 and I was on Accutane for 5 months

Month 1:40

Month 2: 60

Month 3: 80

Month 4-5:60

Im sorry to hear about your IB, it will be gone soon!

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 01/02/2015 12:51 pm

Thanks

thanks, kim

Im 115 and I was on Accutane for 5 months

Month 1:40

Month 2: 60

Month 3: 80

Month 4-5:60

Im sorry to hear about your IB, it will be gone soon!

Thanks

so afraid to bump up from 40mg..might try 50 before going to 60mg thanks much

kim